Coin gaff question

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Coin gaff question

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 7:44 am

Hi folks,

I'd like to see about doing Steve Dusheck's copper silver transposition but not with an English Penney gaff. I want to borrow a quarter and introduce a foreign coin and go from there.

But to do this I need the gaff made. Those who have Steve's trick know what the gaff is. And those who have his Slippery Sam set know how beautiful those two (wax on, wax off) almost visible fingertip changes are thanks to his gaff.

So here's my quandary. Do I have to go to Steve to ask him to make me a shimmed gaff using the coin I want (he's a busy guy with his own stuff to make) or can I go elsewhere?

What to do? And what if I later want to sell my routine?

Jonathan

Re: Coin gaff question

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 8:25 am

Back when Bob Kohler first released his U3F, I wanted the gaffs in 1923 Peace dollars, Bob gave Todd Lassen permission to make me the custom gaffs. I would try getting permission from Steve to have your favorite gaffer make you a set...seems the honest way to go about it.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » September 7th, 2007, 11:16 am

Jonathan,
You might want to try Roy Kueppers:
http://www.roykueppers.com/
He makes costom gaffs, but I've heard it may take some time to receive your order...
Good Luck
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 8:08 pm

Jon,
You may recall that when I contacted Steve about a reference for his coin fold because I wanted to cite it in my "Coin, from Bill" manuscript that he offered to allow me to include a description of the method in my manuscript.

He's a most generous man and I'm certain he would welcome an e-mail from a fan.

Postby Guest » September 12th, 2007, 8:24 am

Thanks, I've just been told that sombody on the theory11 BBS is asking about having the gaff made in quarter size now. Not sure what to think.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 12th, 2007, 9:15 am

Steve gave me his blessing when I created the Sneaky Pete gaff with poker chips (made by Porper).
Stay tooned.

Hank Miller

Postby Hank Miller » September 15th, 2007, 8:48 pm

I would like a copper coin or even better a coin with a hole in it that is slightly smaller than a US silver dollar (morgan). I have the gaff (slippery sam gimmick in dollar size) and would like a coin that is slightly smaller than the morgan. Anyone have one?
I am a Magic GOD - at least I think so! :p

Postby Guest » September 15th, 2007, 8:59 pm

Check with Jamie Schoolcraft at coingaffs.com his work is without a doubt the best there is. Scott :)

Postby Guest » September 15th, 2007, 10:52 pm

It's interesting to note how many people missed the point of the original question.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » September 15th, 2007, 11:02 pm

Amen :whack: , Bill!

GO

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 17th, 2007, 9:37 am

Well, he asked if he needs to go to Dusheck to get the gaff made. However, as far as I know, he doesn't make the gaffs, so you, J.T., would have to get his OK and then have one made.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 10:20 am

Originally posted by Hank Miller:
I would like a copper coin or even better a coin with a hole in it that is slightly smaller than a US silver dollar (morgan). I have the gaff (slippery sam gimmick in dollar size) and would like a coin that is slightly smaller than the morgan. Anyone have one?
You can get dollar size "Chinese" coins pretty cheap on ebay by the dozen if you like.

And just a dab of paint over the shim and you might have a very slippery Chinatown gaff there ;)

Getting back on track here, let's say I wanted to play with a three coin repeat using sliders (three nesting sets of a reg plus two of his shells) ... ask Steve?

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 11:31 am

Getting back on track here, let's say I wanted to play with a three coin repeat using sliders (three nesting sets of a reg plus two of his shells) ... ask Steve?
As a gaff lover [don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful], THAT sounds interesting!

JT, as someone who often recommends PMing/emailing the source to others, I have to wonder why you're hesitating yourself here.... :confused:

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 11:46 am

Ian, Just because one person feels something makes sense does not make it sensible for others. And in the case of coin gaffs we have seen all sorts of non-discussions in public between interested parties after the fact of a commercial offering. So it seemed useful to have an open discussion and listen as others offer their perspectives about the situation before anyone (else) has vested interests to protect.

And thanks that's an oldie from 1974 inspired by the jumbo card version of the six card repeat using pocket cards each with three jumbo regular cards inside. It seemed a natural carryover into coins thanks to that trick Bob Elliot was showing around that summer long ago.

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2007, 12:13 pm

Thanks, makes sense, fair enough!

I'll be watching keenly to see how this routine develops then!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”