A TOTAL FRAUD

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bill Duncan

Re: A TOTAL FRAUD

Postby Bill Duncan » August 27th, 2003, 11:17 am

It seems you missed Magritte's point. it wasn't a pipe. It was a picture of a pipe.

Really Bill
(who took one too many art history classes, apparently)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 2nd, 2003, 12:34 pm

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
It seems you missed Magritte's point. it wasn't a pipe. It was a picture of a pipe.
It seems you missed El Mystico's point. It wasn't a post *from* El Mys*tic*o (my emphasis).

Do you see?

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » September 2nd, 2003, 10:09 pm

When I read an ad for a trick, I never pay any attention to the negative claims about methods -- no strings, no threads, no magnets, no rough-and-smooth, etc.

What I do care about are the positive claims of the benefits to the performer. The movement is under your control at all times. You can walk away from the table at any time. Use any borrowed, shuffled, deck.

These positive claims are the only thing that matters to me as a performer. I don't give a damn if the method uses "no rough and smooth." What's wrong with rough and smooth?

To my mind, ads based on denying methods are designed solely to appeal to people who care only about secret methods. I care almost nothing about secret methods. What I care about is the effect I can create in the mind of the audience. The fact that a trick does not use a specific method is invariably irrelevant to this end.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2003, 10:44 pm

Wow, did Sandy's complaint ever misfire. Talk about blaming the victim. It seems to me purely an siimply that Sandy felt the advertising was totally mislading--and I'm sure he's right. To argue with him over what words led to this is to miss the intended effect of the ads communication, which is more than the sum of the parts or rather than the total of the specific words Why am I sure he's right? Hell, he's a member here. That represents some sophistication with ,and much acquaintainship with, dealers and advertising. Fooling a member is a good feat in and of itself, but a dubious one when selling a product.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2003, 6:27 pm

While on the subject of unethical advertising, what do you others think of hottrix marketing "cup oodles" and "silencer" as two seperate items? Sure, what they are selling is actually two different applications for the same item, but I think their ads intentionaly deceive buyers into thinking that they are purchasing two different items (especially since buyers are encouraged to purchase "cup oodles" and "silencer" together).

I genuinely want to hear if others agree/disagree with me on this issue.

Fraser

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2003, 6:05 pm

While this may seem a little OT, I would like to "put behind bars" (and I don't mean the nightclub or beverage kind) anyone who performs (and VIDEOS) lame, obvious thread effects. I mean, when I see bills and sunglasses dangling, swaying and swinging pendulum-like under heads and between fingers - I WANT TO SCREAM!

I mean, If you're going to try these effects, DON'T do them outside in a breeze. And if you do them indoors, at least rehearse your moves and double think your hook-up points. And failing all the above, please don't post videos of them on the internet!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”