Pocket Index recommendations

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Pocket Index recommendations

Postby NCMarsh » January 31st, 2004, 3:33 pm

Looking to do some work with a pocket card index...is there a published/marketed design that is considered definitive? Any recommended designs/sources?

best,

nate.

Re: Pocket Index recommendations

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2004, 4:02 pm

I believe Jimmy Grippo had what is considered the ultimate card index system, but, as far as I know, the work is yet to be published.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » January 31st, 2004, 4:36 pm

thanks much, i've heard that Geno Munari might be releasing it (Bob Kohler, on the Black Envelope DVD says he'll be releasing his system)...

anyone have thoughts on the one in Wagner's "Master Notebook of Magic"?

The Bazar de Magia version?

thanks to all,

nate.

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2004, 11:14 am

Magic Inc. published a book (pamphlet really) called "Charlie Miller on the Card Index", or something like that. Coming from Charlie you can be sure there is a wealth of valuable information. Used to sell for 3 bucks. One of the masters of the card index in my time was Jimmy Grippo, and I understand that Geno Munari, of Las Vegas, is putting out a book on Grippos work with the index. Seems to me that good old Tarbell has some info on Indices, and you can always use the Potter Index to see what is in print in other places. Hope this helps...

Best, PSC

P.S. Matt Corin and I worked on a "Non-Index Card Index" for a trick that is in Greater Magic. Two pockets only, the cards WERE the index, and you never have to count more than 1 card to get where you're going...

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2004, 11:28 am

Yes, does anyone know what's different about the Bazar de Magia index?

I've been working with indices, but have run into problems correctly retrieving the right card. It's a problem with the index itself.

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » February 1st, 2004, 1:34 pm

Thanks to all for the info...

David -- I don't know if it could fit into the context of the routine you're working with, but using a non-roughed Mene-Tekel deck as an open index (ala Tommy Wonder's Elizabeth III and Elizabeth IV) would eliminate any possibility of a miss...

Paul -- thanks for your suggestions, I'm pursuing the Charlie Miller pamphlet...
best,

nate.

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2004, 2:22 pm

Nathan,
Ted Lesley has an interesting index in his book Paramiracles. It's excellent, if you're routine doesn't require a quick retrieval. Another advantage: you don't have to build something complicated. Email me, if you want further information.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 2nd, 2004, 9:06 pm

I have one in the works with Joe Porper, but it won't be out for awhile. Stay tooned for news on when ready.
Stay tooned.

Rob Signs

Postby Rob Signs » February 5th, 2004, 1:59 pm

There are a couple of indexes you can make yourself in Bob Wagner's Master Notebook of Magic. The one for coat pockets is great and very quick. H&R Magic Books (www.magicbookshop.com) usually has a few copies.

HighQ

Postby HighQ » February 16th, 2004, 9:03 am

The best index I have seen is the Excaliber Gimmick. It was precision made from aluminum and sold for $85.

It allowed the entire deck to be in a single pocket. Another advantage was that you could remove the whole deck which was rubber banded (eliminating thoughts of manipulation) from your pocket with the named card the only one missing.

The bad news is that they are unavailable anymore, but they do turn up on ebay every now and then. I recommend you grab one, because they are becoming scare. Excellent, and recommended!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”