Help With Matrix

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Brian Rasmussen

Help With Matrix

Postby Brian Rasmussen » March 25th, 2004, 7:22 am

The last time I was at my local zoo I saw a machine that can make souvenir coins about the size of half dollars with animal images printed on them. I was thinking of using such coins in a matrix type routine where the animals gather together. Does anyone know of such a presentation for Matrix or any other ideas besides simply explaining that the coins jump from here to there? The reason I have never really performed this effect is because I cannot think of a good justification for the objects to move around. Thanks.

seraph127

Re: Help With Matrix

Postby seraph127 » March 25th, 2004, 8:49 am

Just to get things kicked off, I mention that the two things that come immediately to my mind are the biblical story of Noah and the annual return of the swallows to San Capistrano.

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2004, 8:57 am

This has set me thinking. Sterling Castle in Scotland has a machine that squishes 2p coins into oval medallions bearing the crest of one of the Highland regiments. I've seen other machines in the past that stamp small copper coins into commemorative souvenirs. Possibly an awkward shape, as they're not round but oval.

Do the zoo animal ones come out oval or round?

Brian Rasmussen

Postby Brian Rasmussen » March 25th, 2004, 9:39 am

If I remember right the machine made a round coin about the size of a half dollar. They also have machines that smash pennies into the oval shapes you are speaking about. I can't remember what types of things you could have imprinted on the penny. No matter how I could obtain such coins, or something similar, I'm trying to develop a good theme in which to use them.

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » March 28th, 2004, 1:34 pm

Brian,

Thanks for the post. It gave me something to think about during the wedding I went to yesterday. Here's my thought - as always, worth what you paid for it.

Set up the 4 corners per standard layout. Start talking about a zoo that was going broke so the zookeeper had so keep downsizing and moving animals to the same cage. Do the standard matrix until you get down to 3 animals in one corner (cage) and one left, preferably a nice carnivore like a lion or a polar bear. Do the final transfer, but when you lift your hands and only thing left is the lion coin and a couple small bones.

Now you have something to open that set when you use Ed's Jest-a-Box.....

Brian Rasmussen

Postby Brian Rasmussen » March 29th, 2004, 5:46 am

Another gem of an idea! Thanks Eric.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2004, 10:38 pm

Doug Conn does a bare-handed coin assembly using scrabble pieces. Unique and nice. You can check it out on dougconn.com.

Mike

Return to “Close-Up Magic”