Stripper Jig

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Kent Gunn

Stripper Jig

Postby Kent Gunn » December 1st, 2012, 1:31 pm

Not, a dance done by a scantily clad lass, but a card trimmer available for sale now.

Eoin posted about it on one of those really obscure magic boards where only card cheats and gambling guys hang out.

I know the inventer/manufacturer to be very intelligent and trustworthy. I expect this thing is completely functional and will last . . . forever.

It looks like a great idea. I'm getting one. He does good webpage advertising for it here:

http://www.theperfectshuffle.com/

Jim Martin

Re: Stripper Jig

Postby Jim Martin » December 1st, 2012, 2:32 pm

Thanks Kent - very interesting.
Does he address rounding the corner? Didn't see it on the site.

Gotta love this:
"Designed & Made in Ireland - This is an Irish Jig"
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » December 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm

Jim,

He does address the corner rounding issue. "Irish Jig" . . . can't believe I missed that.

KG

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » December 1st, 2012, 3:58 pm

Found it.
Whetstone, correct?
Jim Martin

St. Louis MO

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » December 1st, 2012, 6:28 pm

Yup.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 1st, 2012, 9:38 pm

Very cute idea. I like the thinking behind the design. This just shows ... some people involved with magic still think. Kent, thanks for the heads up. I need to ask him for permission to add it to my stripper page.
Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 1st, 2012, 10:22 pm

"I need to ask him for permission to add it to my stripper page."

Why do I think that many other people could write that and mean it in an entirely different way.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 1st, 2012, 11:50 pm

RK,
Possibly "mind in the gutter" syndrome?

Cleaned up family friendly version ... "to add to my card cutter page".
Jim

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 2nd, 2012, 12:09 pm

Jim Riser wrote:Very cute idea. I like the thinking behind the design. This just shows ... some people involved with magic still think. Kent, thanks for the heads up. I need to ask him for permission to add it to my stripper page.
Jim

For those interested, permission granted and the Stripper Jig with link has been added to the card trimmer web page.
Jim

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » December 2nd, 2012, 1:55 pm

Wow, it took a while hunting through your webpage to find the link to the card trimmer page. It was well worth it though! I'd post a link directly to that page on Jim's website, but then you might miss all the other great stuff that's there.

PS. Best deal on a card trimmer that works great is the Fiskar's model Jim refers to in his article on inexpensive card trimmers. Total cost with L-brackets and magnets set me back about forty dollars. The link takes some finding . . . have fun as you look for it. I'm still getting one of Eoin's. I'm a geek.

PPS. Once again, I could post direct links. I like to think it's better to look through his whole site.

Doc Eason

Postby Doc Eason » December 2nd, 2012, 10:38 pm

I seem to have missed the 'whetstone' reference re the corner rounder.. the jug thingy is very clever.. ain't cheap but it IS very clever.

now about the corners?
Doc Eason
www.doceason.com
www.doceasonmagicshop.com

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 3rd, 2012, 1:08 pm

Doc Eason wrote:I seem to have missed the 'whetstone' reference re the corner rounder..

On the linked page it says "A few strokes of a diamond whetstone will round the corner." (do a page search (CTRL-F) for "whetstone" to find it)

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 3rd, 2012, 2:50 pm

Doc Eason wrote:I seem to have missed the 'whetstone' reference re the corner rounder.. the jug thingy is very clever.. ain't cheap but it IS very clever.

now about the corners?

Doc,
The whetstone referred to is like these:

http://jamesriser.com/Magic/DiamondKnif ... nersSm.jpg

These may be obtained at local hardware stores. The top one is double sided (coarse and fine) and stores in the handle. The bottom one is fine only and folds closed.

In use, the deck is squared and clamped in a vise. The sharpener needs only a light touch to round off the squared edge on the cards.
Jim

Doc Eason

Postby Doc Eason » December 3rd, 2012, 7:31 pm

Aha.. now I get it. thanks
Doc Eason

www.doceason.com

www.doceasonmagicshop.com

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 3rd, 2012, 9:52 pm

Chris Wasshuber at lybrary.com sells a corner rounder for $30 that matches a regular playing card. It does not compare in quality to the stripper jig, of course, but if you need to reround a corner of a card you've altered, I don't know of a more affordable option.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 3rd, 2012, 10:24 pm

Wasshuber's is a good rounder, but it comes with grease on it. Clean it before using it on something important.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 3rd, 2012, 11:33 pm

Bill,

How do you clean yours? I tried rounding a bunch of cardstock (i.e. thick paper) but is there a better way?

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 4th, 2012, 12:14 am

Pete McCabe wrote:Bill,

How do you clean yours? I tried rounding a bunch of cardstock (i.e. thick paper) but is there a better way?

Pete,
The "grease" is most likely cosmoline - a sticky coating used to prevent rust. Soak it in some paint thinner to dissolve it. Wipe the residue away with a soft rag.
Jim

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 4th, 2012, 1:43 am

Jim, thanks. Just to be clear -- soak the entire thing in paint thinner? I'll have to improvise on wiping, because the cutting blade is not very accessible. Also, I have no paint thinner -- would WD-40 serve?

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » December 4th, 2012, 1:54 am

Pete,
Soak just where there is cosmoline. WD-40 should work fine. Do what you can with an old toothbrush and Q-tips. Wear latex or nitrile gloves. You really do not want to soak that stuff into your skin.
Jim

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 4th, 2012, 9:58 am

Pete -- I did the cardstock thing -- just kept rounding corners until they came out clean.

Eoin O'hare

Postby Eoin O'hare » December 4th, 2012, 7:27 pm

I just thought I'd add to the post Jim Riser talks about the whetstones.

The way I use the whetstone to round the corner of a stripper deck differs a little from Jim's.
I don't use a vice, and I actually use a different type of whetstone than the type Jim's link shows.
I move the deck against the stone, not the stone against the deck.

I prefer whetstones with a continuous surface and not the dimpled type, although I have used both. This type has a solid flat surface made up of diamond grit. I use a medium grit 6", one sided stone, and a cheapo one at that.
You will need to keep it ONLY for rounding corners of playing cards. (Unless you want to vigorously and repeatedly clean it after sharpening blades.)

Simply place the whetstone, diamond side up narrow end of the stone nearest yourself, on a surface that will stop it from slipping about.
Holding the deck in a sort of sideways biddle grip-
Square the edge of a newly cut deck on the stones surface, the corner you want to round farthest away from you, and simply slide the deck still squared towards yourself at the same time as lifting the corner of the deck nearest yourself, off the stone, and allowing the other (cut) corner to slid across the diamond surface as you continue to hinge the deck upwards.

Shuffle the deck (I faro them), and repeat as necessary.

If a small burr occurs- repeat the same actions but this time instead of keeping the deck squared, bevel the deck to the right and slide this bevelled edge along the surface. Then bevel the deck to the left and do the same.

You should end up with a round corner in no time.

Smaller whetstones can be (double sided) taped to a table.

Eoin
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 4th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Jim and Bill, thanks.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”