Jingle Bells Monte

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bob Farmer

Jingle Bells Monte

Postby Bob Farmer » November 16th, 2012, 9:15 am

Here's an idea for Xmas. You have three little bells, the kind that are enclosed and have a little metal ball inside to make the sound (usually found on horses in parades). Mine are about 1" in diameter.

You show that two of the bells have no metal ball and make no sound. The third bell rings. You mix them around on the table and the spectators can never find the one that rings.

Method: you need four bells. Pry open three of them and remove the metal ball. The ringing bell is palmed in one hand.

The three dead bells are on thew table. Pick up, with the other hand, two of the bells and shake them -- no sound. Pick up the last bell with the hand holding the palmed bell and it rings.

Figure out a routine.

Another idea: Hand out two dead bells and the ringing bell. Palm the dead bell in one hand. Let the spectators confirm that two are silent and one rings.

Use the two-balls-in-the-hand-one-in-the-pocket move to toss the bells form one hand to the other switching in the dead bell and switching out the ringing bell.

Max Maven

Re: Jingle Bells Monte

Postby Max Maven » November 16th, 2012, 11:44 am

I liked it when it was called the Rattle Bars.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 16th, 2012, 1:38 pm

But now it has a Christmas theme!

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » November 16th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Yeah. I prefer the secular version.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » November 16th, 2012, 4:58 pm

I tried it with a Hanukah theme but I burnt my palm holding out the candle.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 16th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Larry, not all themes translate across all cultures and religions successfully, especially where fire is involved. Ditch the candle, and try suggesting they are bells from the censer. However, this is probably a really bad idea, especially since gambling is involved. Better to stick with these are bells from my shoes when I played Rumpelstiltskin on Broadway.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”