What would you do with my coin?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
JR Russell

What would you do with my coin?

Postby JR Russell » June 7th, 2005, 2:30 am

I am looking for ideas to deal with a coin. I recently visited my family and they asked me to do one more trick and as I walked out the door I bent a quarter and left. Shock and awe set in and when I visited them the next time they all wanted me to bend the quarter, they all had ideas on how I did it so this time I asked for a quarter and looked around for a blue sharpie and I put some sunglasses on the quarter...and I bent it. Shock and awe set in once a again.

As I walked out my sister marked a quarter threw it to me and bet that I couldn't bend it...I told her that she was right because it was gone...I vanished the quarter and walked out the door.

I will be going back in the summer but I have my sister's marked coin. So my plan is to ask them if they ever discovered the coin and make it appear in an impossible location. My first idea was to put it in a can of some sort.

So I would like to hear if anybody has any ideas on what you would do in the coin...

Thanks
JR
Fly Navy
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Brian Morton

Re: What would you do with my coin?

Postby Brian Morton » June 7th, 2005, 7:23 am

No ideas, but I learned a killer deck switch this past weekend...
:D

"beynami" :cool:

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » June 7th, 2005, 7:47 am

Brian
Hanging out with you and da' boys at Card Clinic was a hoot. Thanks also to you for hooking me up to see "Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants" (I saw it twice!) and for the advice on seeing Wednesday Night Wizardry!

"JR"
Fly Navy
JR Russell

"Fly Navy"

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 7th, 2005, 8:33 am

JR, this might be an opportunity to make a duplicate of the quarter, including the mark (and you have plenty of time to get it right).
Freeze the original quarter inside a block of ice that you sneak into your sister's freezer in the fridge.
Vanish the dupe quarter and tell them to go look in the freezer.
They'll talk about that for 100 years.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 7th, 2005, 9:33 am

100 Years? Oh, you freeze 'em?
Stay tooned.

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » June 7th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Richard,
That was one of the ideas I was thinking about and I was kicking myself for not checking out what the ice in their frig looked like.

Thanks for hanging out with us at Card Clinic!

Cheers
JR
JR Russell

"Fly Navy"

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2005, 2:16 pm

yeah card clinic rocked. jis is an [censored], but he's our [censored]. believe it or not the one moment i can't get out of my head was during the performance, at the end of swiss's routine, when aces were seemingly exploding from nowhere onto the piles of cards as he waved his hands. a perfect thing. visual. miraculous. i bet no one has ever thought as thoroughly about presentation as giobbi: no gesture was merely random, though he appeared perfectly at ease at all times. how can you be so likeable while devoting your life to deceiving people? the contrast in personality was like a sitcom. anyway: shout-outs. jr for sure. mitch. brian: sad that you're so misled. there were 2 philosophy profs there: larry we're deep baby.

ok while we're asking: how would you control two selections to top and third from top? i would work on it with a riffle shuffle, but it's take awhile and not be perfectly natural when the process has been hindu up to that point. simple solutions?

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2005, 2:19 pm

oh yeah also i am devoting myself single-mindedly to "the hardest card-trick in the world": stabbed in the deck, which jamy used to extreme effect. but i am trying to use marlo's version: http://www.questx.com/jinx/

Postby Guest » June 7th, 2005, 2:48 pm

did i say marlo? harry lorrayne.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » June 7th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Yo, "Crispy" -- I'm misled 'cause I'm misinformed.

Or maybe I'm depraved on account I'm deprived. I'm as deep as a paper plate. But that still means you can line up two philosophers end-to-end and still not reach a conclusion. :)

And if I didn't tell you, you'd never have known.

brian :cool:

(Card Clinic, folks. You just hadda be there.)

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » June 7th, 2005, 4:23 pm

ok while we're asking: how would you control two selections to top and third from top? i would work on it with a riffle shuffle, but it's take awhile and not be perfectly natural when the process has been hindu up to that point. simple solutions?
don't know the context...but here are some possibilities:

both cards are in participant's hand...first selection is returned and controlled to top via y.f.m. (return should, however, duplicate the actions of a bluff pass -- i'm sure that Howie showed his, phenomenal, handling at some point on saturday)

break taken under top two cards...second selection returned and controlled via bluff pass under two cards

or

second selection controlled to third from top via Marlo movable card pass (under cover of displaying the spread to show that all the cards are different)

or

selections culled to bottom and third from bottom (cf. Carney's multiple shift in Secrets)...then triple cut, passed, or palmed and replaced to top...(r.h. bottom palm..."kicking" the cards into r.h. w/ pinkie rather than a color-steal)...or (and this might be best: break taken under bottom three, hindu shuffled to top (bottom three stolen as first talon replaced...)

best,

N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 7th, 2005, 5:33 pm

My preferred control is the face-up spread cull (of a named selection or selections). It's not that hard to get the original top card in between the two culled selections, leaving them 1st and 3rd.

This is much easier.
1) Get them to the top, then do two quick shuffles:
2) Run one card, milk two, then shuffle off.
3) Shuffle off, ending with the last few (at least three) cards run singly.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » June 7th, 2005, 5:57 pm

Pete,

He disliked a riffle-shuffle control because it altered the procedure (where at another point in the routine he is using hindu shuffles). I was assuming that he would hold the same objection against an overhand shuffle. Hence my third solution which achieves his objective with a hindu shuffle (or, for that matter, the first two -- which involve no apparent manipulation of the cards.)

That said, I do disagree with his criterion of not altering the shuffling procedure...shuffling should feel natural and spontaneous -- I think that alternating different kinds of shuffles projects a sense that you are indifferent to how the cards are being mixed...which furthers a sense that the order of the cards does not matter to you

best,
N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » June 7th, 2005, 6:42 pm

Nathan wrote:
That said, I do disagree with his criterion of not altering the shuffling procedure...shuffling should feel natural and spontaneous -- I think that alternating different kinds of shuffles projects a sense that you are indifferent to how the cards are being mixed...which furthers a sense that the order of the cards does not matter to you
Well, this depends on how natural you are. Most people only shuffle one way, be it riffle-and-cascade, Hindu or overhand/milk shuffle -- they pretty much stick with one type. I think if you vary shuffles, people instinctively may be thinking you're trying to "do something" to the cards.

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » June 7th, 2005, 7:39 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by crispy:
[QB] yeah card clinic rocked. jis is an [censored], but he's our [censored]. the contrast in personality was like a sitcom. anyway: shout-outs. jr for sure. mitch. brian: sad that you're so misled. there were 2 philosophy profs there: larry we're deep baby.

Crispy...I decided that "Blade" was perfect call sign for Jamy...right off the Swiss Army Knife...he'ld cut anybody if they were doing something dumb...including his mom I think.

Crispy is an OK call sign but Coco better
JR Russell

"Fly Navy"

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » June 7th, 2005, 7:42 pm

Oh, please.

One selection is returned; as spread is closed, take break with X card above, control to top by any method, for example, Double Undercut. Now spread for second return, break spread at last moment (when spectator is about to insert card -- whatI call Classic Forcing the return), take next selection into position, repeat original control to top. You're done.

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » June 7th, 2005, 7:46 pm

BTW, Hindu shuffles are virtually always unnatural (at least in the U.S.). And mixing shuffles is generally a bad idea. Let's not be showing off our catalog of shuffling skills. Most laymen develop a habit and stick with it. I do think you mix overhands and in-the-hand riffles from time to time, but that's about as far as it should go.

I hear [censored] Hindu shuffle a lot.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 7th, 2005, 9:27 pm

ONLY card guys can take a thread about a coin trick and turn it their way.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » June 7th, 2005, 9:50 pm

I think it would be cool if you planted the coin in a place they would not likely find for months. Let them find it when you are long gone.

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » June 7th, 2005, 10:05 pm

Well, Dustin, JR could also do that marketed item where you tear a card and find the coin inside it. How's that for satisfying both sides?

Now, if we could work in a billiard ball ...

Steve V

Postby Steve V » June 7th, 2005, 10:51 pm

Do the ol' Euro way. Drill a lil' bitty hole in the coin and tie it to a thread and put it among roots of a flower. Then you can have her pull the flower and look in the roots.
Steve V
Steve V

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 8th, 2005, 12:34 am

Better yet: Heres one The Professor would just love to see.

Have four people each openly select and sign a card (no forces); they are not returned to the deck (the deck is placed back into its case).

The four selections are twisted face downone a timethen are twisted face up againone at a timebut they have changed to the four aces, which are then signed as well.

The red aces are picked up and rubbed together and two silver American half-dollars are produced; one at a time.

The black aces are picked up and two copper English pennies are produced; one at a time.

The coins are laid out ready to perform Matrix.

The four coins gather under a single card; one at a time.

The coins then instantly reappear under their individual cards, and it is seen that the American half-dollars are now copper and the English pennies are silver! (Thank you Dave Grenewetzki, wherever you are.)

Using one of the aces, the coins are scooped up into the left handone at a timewhich closes around them.

The other three aces are picked up in the right hand which holds the four cards in a small fan and waves them over the left hand.

The left hand is opened to show the four coins have changed into JRs marked coin!

Then the four aces are shown to have changed back to the four signed selections!

The four signed aces are found inside the performers wallet!

The card case is opened and is found to be filled with(choose your load)!

Deep breath.

(The Professors ashes churn in his urn.)

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » June 8th, 2005, 1:28 am

Jamy,

Here's one to satisfy everyone?

Bring out a deck or cards...

Open the deck : there is a coin purse ...

Open the coin purse : Billiard ball...

switch billiard ball into coin ....

no? :sleep:
:D

jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 8th, 2005, 5:21 am

JR, If these guys could do coins...

Actually I hear Jamy does my coins across pretty well.

RK's suggestion as regards making a dupe of the marked quarter is probably well worth exploring. The time you take to get a feel for the mark and duplicating the mark is an investment into the classic "thing found in place" type effect.

If you can make ONE dupe, you can make many. Imagine the fun if you load dupes all over the place and ask her to point to a place... or make it part of a hide and seek game. She has a walky talky, and you have one. She hides. She tells you where she is. You tell her you will send her quarter her way by magic. She tells you where she is. You tell her to look under the chair. Could be fun.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » June 8th, 2005, 11:55 am

Dustin, you're dangerously close to "What the Professor might have done" territory ... ! Oh, if only the poor man had had the benefit of our genius ...

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » June 8th, 2005, 12:16 pm

"Confusion is not magic. Unless you're confused."

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » June 8th, 2005, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the ideas gents. Right now I have a card ready to load one copy of the marked coin, I was thinking about ripping a corner ala Intercessor..I'm also going to put one on ice in a deck of cards.

I only see them once every 3 or 4 years so I'm looking for the proverbial "shock & awe" followed by vaporization.

This plan doesn't execute until 22 August...so I will gladly take more ideas...and I will let you all know how the event goes!

cheers and thanks to all
"JR"
Fly Navy
JR Russell

"Fly Navy"

Return to “Close-Up Magic”