Instant Lottery Ticket goop

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Fred Zimmerman

Instant Lottery Ticket goop

Postby Fred Zimmerman » February 21st, 2005, 2:43 pm

OK, now that I've used the technical term ...

I want to make my own version of an instant Lottery Ticket. I already have "Predicta" and it's great, but I don't need to do this type of effect--I have another idea and use altogether.

So, I'm looking for a rubber cementy-type substance that is used to make the scratch-off instant lottos. Perhaps this exists in virginal form, or I'll need a recipe. I'm wondering if this is closely guarded secret, but then this is also used on Publisher's Clearing House promos, along with tons of other mass-mail promos, so perhaps it isn't so proprietary.

Does anyone know where to get/how to make this stuff? Also, I'm guessing it needs a certain finish on the paper so it doesn't soak through--that seeems plain.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Fred Zimmerman

Mike Masaveg

Re: Instant Lottery Ticket goop

Postby Mike Masaveg » February 21st, 2005, 4:43 pm

Fred,

I found a product called Scratch Sticket. It is a peel and stick scratch-off coating for making your own scratch-off tickets. It comes in gold, silver, and I think black. It's made by Hampton Art Stamps Inc. They are located in Medford, NY.
I found it at a Michael's Arts and Crafts, it's a chain here in Cleveland, but I imagine that most larger craft or art supply stores should carry it. I found it in sticker and rubber stamp supply section.

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » February 21st, 2005, 4:48 pm

Scratch Sticket comes in 7 different colors. It costs around $3.00 for 4 8"x5.5" sheets. Check out this link

http://www.goldingcraft.com/scratchs.htm

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » February 22nd, 2005, 8:42 am

Wow! I usually haunt Michaels, and Hobby Lobby, etc. but I wouldn't have thought this kind of specialized stuff was available.

Thanks a lot!

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2005, 12:40 pm

For low volume applications this Stickett sounds like ( I was going to say ticket) the product to use. If you happen to get into a high volume application somewhere say between 500 and millions of lottery tickets you can go to just about any printer who will print the material and on a second run either print with a special ink or silk screen with a special screening ink to obtain the required result. In my retired from day job we used to run promotions for customers (numbering in the thousands)where we used scratch off dots and over the years any printer we went to had no trouble with the scratch off technology. Fortunately or unfortunately if it is a magic application the volume would probably be low.

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » February 23rd, 2005, 8:34 am

True about the amounts, Bob. However, your information is very valuable because with new printing technologies, printers are now focusing on the shorter runs. (I write a lot of tradeshows for these companies) So therefore, If I think ahead, I could print a run for myself of a bunch and would probably have a much slicker more professional look.

Thanks! Now I just have to make sure my routine is as good as this advice.

Fred

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » February 24th, 2005, 6:37 am

I bugged out last night and picked up some Sticket but I have to admit that I am disappointed. It is really tough to scratch off. Any suggestions from other users?

Eric

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » March 3rd, 2005, 9:26 am

I haven't gotten any yet but I'm betting if printers do it it would work better. I'll look into both (Michaels didn't have any--they reccomended an archiver's store) but I'll also check with my local printer.

Fred

Return to “Close-Up Magic”