Radio magic

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
ADG

Radio magic

Postby ADG » August 15th, 2005, 2:01 pm

Greetings....I'll be doing a 10-12 minute radio interview promoting the 2005 TAOM Convention in San Antonio, Texas during the Labor Day weekend. I would like some input on some ideas or tips on presenting a magical effect over the radio. I'm thinking on presenting a quick Invisible Deck routine by having listeners call in and mention a color, then a suit, then a value, and then having the DJ turn over the only(?)reversed card in the deck and having it match. Whatever the effect, it would have to be quick and to the point and would have to have an imaginary/visual impact on the radio listeners.
Thanks,
ALEX

Re: Radio magic

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2005, 6:34 pm

Alex,

Here's a couple of ideas: first, check out Jim Steinmeyer's book IMPUZZIBILITIES. There are a handful of self-working items there that might go over well on a radio show (9-card Problem, etc).

Second, I created an effect for that very purpose that I now use frequently in a myriad of situations. In effect, someone merely thinks of a card and you tell them what it is. There's no deck involved. If you have Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks 4, you find it tucked away in the Errata section at the back under the title 'Out On A Limb'. It works terrific over the phone so the radio environment is a cakewalk.

If you do not have that book, drop me a PM and I'll give you the details if you're interested.

Best,
Mick

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » September 10th, 2005, 9:52 am

I have several times performed Bob Cassidy's brilliant Chronologue(the Diary trick)on the radio using either the presenter or a person who calls in giving me the date.
A great idea by Kovari in one of his lectures here many years ago was to force a card, get the presenter to ring your home where the answer machine says, "The Great So & So is not available at the moment but I can tell you, the card you chose was the .... Our own Joh Wade published his Abra mag. articles some years back called Radio Magic.Very useful material if you can trace a copy or the Abra articles.
Allen Tipton UK

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2005, 5:52 am

Do Orange Kangaroos in Denmark. (Scroll down here .)

You can not only get the host, but most of the audience.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”