Svengli Deck

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
walkinoats

Svengli Deck

Postby walkinoats » September 24th, 2001, 1:47 pm

I rarely used trick decks, but I sometimes use the Svengli. I have the deck about a week and sometimes what happens is when the deck is cut, it fails to force the card. The card other than the force card is chosen. The deck is in the proper order. Can anyone tell me why this happnes?
thanks,

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: walkinoats ]

Bruce Arnold

Re: Svengli Deck

Postby Bruce Arnold » September 24th, 2001, 2:44 pm

Try tapping the bottom edge of the deck against a hard surface, such as a table, before performing the force.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 24th, 2001, 9:19 pm

Walkinoats,
In addition to Bruce's suggestion about tapping the end of the deck on a hard surface, it's also important not to hold the deck in a "death grip" when you tap the cards. If you hold the deck too tightly, then tapping the cards will do nothing! You must hold it loosely enough so that when you tap the end of the deck, all the shorter cards can move flush with the lower end.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

walkinoats

Postby walkinoats » September 25th, 2001, 7:38 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions !

I also found that if the spectator cuts the deck by holding the sides, the spectator might not cut to the force card. Since most people cut the deck by holding the front and rear end, this usually won't happen.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 25th, 2001, 2:05 pm

You can help ensure that the spectator cuts the deck holding it by the short ends via management of your working surface and props. For example, if the deck is placed with a long side near the card case, and the short ends facing the spectator, he will more likely grasp the deck by the more accessible short ends for the cut.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2001, 8:57 pm

Switch to a Mirage deck, I find that it has all of the Svengali features and more. :cool:

Return to “Close-Up Magic”