Ripped & Fryed - source?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
mrgoat

Re: Ripped & Fryed - source?

Postby mrgoat » June 23rd, 2012, 1:49 pm

Which versions have you tested it on? I'm using 6.

Also, correction about it not loading on iphone, it does, but you haven't set the a-record correctly, so unless someone types in www it displays nothing.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 23rd, 2012, 2:31 pm

Mr. Goat,
I've only tested it on PC based systems but others with Mac have had no problems and I have no way of testing for 100% compatability. I will ask my service provider about the record as frankly I don't know what that is. May be that since this page is a redirect that might be causing the problems you are experiencing.

Jeff

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 24th, 2012, 6:59 am

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:I will ask my service provider about the record as frankly I don't know what that is.

It's an "a record" (alias record). You need to fix it in the control panel of your domain seller. If it is someone like godaddy, they will do it for you if you call them. Or you can google it and do it yourself. It's very straightforward.

It just means that if someone types in "thecardwarptour.com" and not "www.thecardwarptour.com" they will get a site, instead of nothing.

Also, I'd recommend you get the host to install wordpress for you, pick a nice theme you like from smashingmagazine.com's lists of free themes, and write 10 good key-word rich posts on it.

Just delete the blurry jpeg and make a wordpress site. Google will like it.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 24th, 2012, 10:10 am

Mr. Goat, thank you for information I can use, ill look into the control panel on Monday and fix that, but I'm not going to try and learn a new program and recreate the webpge. I'd prefer to fix this one.

Jeff

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » June 24th, 2012, 10:47 am

Hoping this helps: I'm using Safari version 5.1.7, which is the latest version available to the general public. Safari 6 is only available to developers. As stated earlier, the PDF loads clearly on the latest version available on my computer.

On my iPhone, I am able to pull up the website in question and the PDF whether or not it has the 'www' in front of the URL. I'm using the latest version of iOS available to the general public (5.1.1).
www.KeithTheMagician.com
www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 24th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Thank you Keith.

Jeff

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 24th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:Mr. Goat, thank you for information I can use, ill look into the control panel on Monday and fix that, but I'm not going to try and learn a new program and recreate the webpge. I'd prefer to fix this one.

Jeff

OK, what you have now is totally pointless for any google traffic. Assuming you want to sell the book to people looking for stuff about card warp or roy walton, you need to redo it from scratch. It's just a few jpgs, there is nothing google can read

Wordpress is as easy to use as MS Word.

I did this for you in literally 5 minutes.

LINK REMOVED

You put in the words Roy Walton a lot. You put in Card Warp a lot, and lo, people looking for Roy Walton or Card Warp are more likely to find your site.

Also, adding a blog roll and linking to popular magic blogs will increase the traffic your site gets, more sites linking to you and the higher your site will rank.

It would take me about half a day to do it properly, if you're interested, email me.

HTH

Damian
Last edited by mrgoat on July 6th, 2012, 4:58 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Link Removed

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 25th, 2012, 12:15 am

Jeff,
I am currently on a road trip and using my Android tablet running version 4.0.3. The tablet recognizes the button but will not open anything. Instead, it downloads the sample pages. The saved file easily opens with at least 6 programs on my tablet. I did not catch the downloading/saving the other day as I was not paying close enough attention to the process. BTW - the sample pages look good.
Jim

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 25th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Thanks Jim and Damian,
I've removed the drop shadows and made the sample pages easier to find. I'm working on the SEO stuff with my service provider, will have that fixed in the future.

Jeff

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 25th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Jeebers, I just looked at the page source code...

One quick thing you could do is change the alt tags on the images. At the moment they are all set to 'the Cardwarp tour' but you might want to change these to things like:

alt="The CardWarp Tour - a book chock full of magic routines based on the Roy Walton classic magic effect"

alt="The Card Warp Tour - a new book collecting magic routines and essays about the Roy Walton magic effect - Card Warp"

And so on. Remember _not_ to say:

alt="The Card Warp Tour - routines based on Ray Walton's magic trick"

because that apostrophe will be parsed as a comment, and the end of the line will be lost, including the closing " (and yes, I've had to deal with this in the past)

That would help a wee bit with the engines...

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 26th, 2012, 8:48 am

Damian, thank you for your offer but would you please remove this website asap.

Jeff Pierce

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 26th, 2012, 8:50 am

you can lead a horse to water...

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 26th, 2012, 10:47 am

No offense Damian but sometimes a horse wants something more flavorful than water.

While you idea of a website might be Google SEO perfect, it is not my style. I noticed it's what you use for your site and I hope that works for you though.

My web service provider says that the problem is that it is a web re-direct, that's why google does not see it.

BTW thank you for your suggestions, they are always welcome.

Jeff

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 26th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:No offense Damian but sometimes a horse wants something more flavorful than water.

And sometimes a horse wouldn't even understand what a glass of water was if one was poured over him.

You can make wordpress look anyway you want.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:While you idea of a website might be Google SEO perfect, it is not my style. I noticed it's what you use for your site and I hope that works for you though.

Wordpress is a CMS. You can make it look and feel like anything. I spent 5 minutes showing you how easy it was to use, because you said you didn't want to use it because you couldn't learn any new software.

Anyone that knows about SEO knows that blogging is the best solution, but if you don't want any google traffic, stick with what you have. I'll have a look in a few weeks and see how you rank on your keywords.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:My web service provider says that the problem is that it is a web re-direct, that's why google does not see it.

Your "web service provider" is lying to you. Google doesn't see it because there is nothing on it to see for a robot. It is all pictures. No text. And the picture file names are not SEOd, it has no alt tags as Mr Kendall tried to explain, and the whole thing is just not a website, but a flyer. That google cannot read.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:BTW thank you for your suggestions, they are always welcome.

Jeff

My pleasure. I'll bow out of this now and leave you to not get any natural traffic.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 26th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Damian, you can use a little fiber in your diet, you are always so tense.

There have been alt tags for a few days, Mr. Kendall just suggested better ones.

I see no reason to believe my "Service Provider" is lying to me, they will get the google problem fixed.

Jeff

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 26th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:I see no reason to believe my "Service Provider" is lying to me, they will get the google problem fixed.

Jeff

They are, but you'll find that out one day.

Google cannot read the words on your site because they are not words, they are pictures of words. This is really very basic stuff. Google cannot read a picture, it needs TEXT, not pictures of text.

Ask anyone else you know that knows about the internet if you aren't prepared to take my word for it.

Or read it from Google themselves

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi ... er=35769#1

You need to have text on the site. Really.

And index_02.jpg means NOTHING to Google, whereas cardwarp_roywalton.jpg does. Google gives much more weight to the file name than the alt tag.

I really hope you aren't paying this idiot to lie to you...

Anyway, good luck with the project. I hope the book is better than the jpegs on a page that are pretending to be a website.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 26th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I understand that my site is made up of pictures instead of being text based. I understand that text based webpages search better. From what I've read the first thing a robot see's is the title, description, keywords, alt tags,text in the html. I've covered those areas except text in the html, since I have all pictures. Your comments along with others have helped me improve the search-ability. If you have other ideas to make this webpage work better, Id love to hear them but this is how I choose to display it. It's that simple.

Jeff Pierce

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 26th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:I understand that my site is made up of pictures instead of being text based. I understand that text based webpages search better.

So make it text based then.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: From what I've read the first thing a robot see's is the title, description, keywords, alt tags,text in the html. I've covered those areas except text in the html

Sadly, the text is unarguably the most important of them. The metadata and meta descriptions are given such little weight now that most SEOs say not even to bother with them. The picture file names (where you have index_02.jpg) are MUCH more important than any of the meta data.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: Your comments along with others have helped me improve the search-ability.

Not really. It's still a massive sealed envelope to Google.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:
If you have other ideas to make this webpage work better, Id love to hear them but this is how I choose to display it. It's that simple.

I've told you what to do. I have many years of experience getting sites to top spots in google for their chosen keywords. It's part of what I do for a living. You chose to make a picture instead of a website, and that is totally cool. It's your choice to make a web page google cannot read. It won't get any traffic, but as long as you like the way it looks, then what else matters, right?

As I said, good luck with it. I'm sure the book is miles better than the site.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 26th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Damian I'm going to let you get the last sarcastic word in because I think you just can't let it go.

Jeff

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 26th, 2012, 3:10 pm

mrgoat wrote:you can lead a horse to water...

...and if it dies, perhaps you should stop beating it.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 27th, 2012, 3:32 am

Jim Maloney wrote:
mrgoat wrote:you can lead a horse to water...

...and if it dies, perhaps you should stop beating it.

-Jim

Yeah, I just wanted to kick it a few times to make sure.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 27th, 2012, 9:14 pm

"I've told you what to do. I have many years of experience getting sites to top spots in google for their chosen keywords. It's part of what I do for a living. You chose to make a picture instead of a website, and that is totally cool. It's your choice to make a web page google cannot read. It won't get any traffic, but as long as you like the way it looks, then what else matters, right?

As I said, good luck with it. I'm sure the book is miles better than the site."

Btw, my service provider fixed the redirect problem, I added a Site map to the bottom of my picture website that Google can't read and it's ranking in the #1 position. So I can have my cake and eat it too.
I'll get the video up next.

Jeff

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2012, 4:38 am

What term is it ranking 1 for?

By any chance is it "The card warp tour"?

Notice my blog is second.

This is because NO ONE searches for that. And I mean no one. At all. I have a monthly subscription to wordtracker.com and I can see the volume of searches for any keyword.

ANYONE can rank number one for a phrase with no competition just by buying the domain with the phrase in.

I could buy www.jeffpiercedoesntunderstandseo.com now and rank one for that tomorrow with nothing but a picture of my arse on the site.

You could have no site up there and just the domain and if it is a term no one searches for, you will have the number one position.

Now, what you need to do is rank for searches on 'card warp' and 'roy walton'. The go for 'card magic' etc.

But as you incorrectly think it is good to get to number one for a term with no competition and absolutely no traffic, then I bet you are really happy and all is good.

I'll put THE CARD WARP TOUR all over the wordpress site and beat you in about 24 hours.

Anyway, thought you said you were going to stop posting? I know, you actually thought that getting to number one with a term no one searches for is hard and you have won? Lol. You haven't. Post your google analytic stats and show me how many thousands of hits you are getting. Then I will eat my hat. As it is, all you've done is continue to demonstrate how very very little you understand about all this.

Bless you for trying though, it's sweet.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 28th, 2012, 5:18 am

mrgoat wrote:Anyway, thought you said you were going to stop posting?

...and I thought you'd said "I'll bow out of this now" several posts ago?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2012, 5:36 am

El Mystico wrote:
mrgoat wrote:Anyway, thought you said you were going to stop posting?

...and I thought you'd said "I'll bow out of this now" several posts ago?

I thought you said "thanks for getting my site to number one on google Damian"

?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 28th, 2012, 5:57 am

Well, if you really insist on going there: it has been number one ever since you helped me create it.
So "thanks for getting my site to number one on google Damian"

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2012, 6:10 am

You're welcome.

:)

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 28th, 2012, 6:59 am

No Damian, I,'m not a expert on everything, as you are. That's why I posted here for comments, many of which I ve implemented already and thanked those for, including you. I'm sorry I did not like you website idea, but I looked at yours and it was boring and ugly, just as your book covers were. But I bet it gets a lot of hits! If that was the sole purpose of a website, and you would be king.

Jeff

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2012, 7:27 am

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:No Damian, I,'m not a expert on everything, as you are.

Far from it love, but I do get paid a shed load for online marketing, which is what I am offering you advice on here.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: I'm sorry I did not like you website idea, but I looked at yours and it was boring and ugly, just as your book covers were.

You really *still* don't understand what a CMS is?

One more time. A CMS is a content management system. It allows you to easily edit update and change your site. It is a blank canvas that can be made to look like anything you want. If you want your bad drop shadow image of text as your header, you could have that. The point is google likes the underlying architecture of wordpress and it will help you get ranked for important, used keywords.

I repeat, it could be made to look like anything you want.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: But I bet it gets a lot of hits! If that was the sole purpose of a website, and you would be king.

Thing is, you cannot sell anything if you get no hits. We clearly have very differnet ideas of what looks good. I think award winning book covers look good. You think something you knocked up yourself in MSPaint looks good. That's fine. We can think differently about aesthetics. But, unarguably, if you get no traffic, you won't sell anything. And your site will get no natural traffic. Mine do. But as you seem resolute to present google with a sealed envelope it can't read, and try and argue your site is good for google, I guess getting natural traffic isn't your goal. And that is perfectly fine too.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 28th, 2012, 9:11 am

Far from it love, but I do get paid a shed load for online marketing, which is what I am offering you advice on here.

Must be a British thing...

One more time. A CMS is a content management system. It allows you to easily edit update and change your site. It is a blank canvas that can be made to look like anything you want. If you want your bad drop shadow image of text as your header, you could have that. The point is google likes the underlying architecture of wordpress and it will help you get ranked for important, used keywords.

I repeat, it could be made to look like anything you want.

So what you are saying is you are good with code but don't have a creative bone in your body. I understand now.

Thing is, you cannot sell anything if you get no hits. We clearly have very differnet ideas of what looks good. I think award winning book covers look good. You think something you knocked up yourself in MSPaint looks good. That's fine. We can think differently about aesthetics. But, unarguably, if you get no traffic, you won't sell anything. And your site will get no natural traffic. Mine do. But as you seem resolute to present google with a sealed envelope it can't read, and try and argue your site is good for google, I guess getting natural traffic isn't your goal. And that is perfectly fine too.

First off it's Photoshop, only people who use Wordpress use MSpaint, please! And yes, we do have a difference in opinion as to what looks good or not, the difference is i'm open to suggestions, you are the king!

Why if you type in google "The Cardwarp Tour" and my site comes up first, is that wrong? I want people to search for "The Cardwarp Tour" first and foremost, "Card Warp and Roy Walton are after that in my book. It's not like I won't advertise this book, people will know about it.

And you are wrong again, I'm arguing that content and first impressions are as important as SEO search techniques. You might get all the hits in the world on your fine website but I doubt you get much response. Just my un-qualified opinion.

I'll leave you to write your witty comments with this last word from Google Webmaster Tools:

"Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines."

Damian, I have thanked you in previous posts and I meant that. It does not mean that your word is the last word on this subject. You wanted me to give up this site and start over when there was a solution that could include both of our ideas. That tells me that you have no room to budge in your thoughts. It's either your way or no way at all. I'm glad people pay you a shed load on money for what you do, because if they did not you might spend more time being so negative here on the Genii board.

Jeff

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:Must be a British thing...

Yeah, we maybe try and help out people that don't understand the basics of something more than we should.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:So what you are saying is you are good with code but don't have a creative bone in your body. I understand now.

No, what I am saying it you can make a wordpress site look like anything you want.

I know nothing about code, that's the beauty of wordpress as a CMS, you don't need to. As I tried to explain.

I do know how to make a website rank for chosen keywords though.

And I know how to sell a product from a website.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:First off it's Photoshop, only people who use Wordpress use MSpaint, please!

You did a really good job of making it look like MSPaint. Well done. Have you got a special filter to make it hard to read and blurry?

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:Why if you type in google "The Cardwarp Tour" and my site comes up first, is that wrong? I want people to search for "The Cardwarp Tour" first and foremost, "Card Warp and Roy Walton are after that in my book. It's not like I won't advertise this book, people will know about it.

Yes, it is wrong. No one will type that in. As I explained. You need to optimise for relevant terms to try and get people looking for card warp to your site. Anyone that knows about the name of your book will already know where to get it. Optimising for them is a total waste of time.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:And you are wrong again, I'm arguing that content and first impressions are as important as SEO search techniques.

No they aren't. If you get no one to your site, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:You might get all the hits in the world on your fine website but I doubt you get much response.

I turn away work all the time. It's not my day job, it's fun for me.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:Just my un-qualified opinion.

I'll say.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:I'll leave you to write your witty comments with this last word from Google Webmaster Tools:

"Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines."

Indeed. You have read something about SEO, well done you.

A text based would be so much more useful for users. You could put sample tricks, videos, exerpts, opinion, guest bloggers, and so much more. All really useful machine readable content. You wouldn't need to SEO it at all, as such. Just write about your book.

Or you could put up a bad picture google can't read.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: It does not mean that your word is the last word on this subject.

Where do I suggest it is?

It is not MY word that says google needs to have a website it can read, it is an unarguable fact.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:You wanted me to give up this site and start over when there was a solution that could include both of our ideas.

Your idea is worthless though. A picture /= a website.

You could put the picture as a header on a website, if you wanted. But it isn't a website.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: That tells me that you have no room to budge in your thoughts.

That's right. Google cannot read a picture. A website should have words on it. I'll never alter that opinion, because it's a fact.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: It's either your way or no way at all.

No, it's either the right way, or a picture pretending to be a website.

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote: I'm glad people pay you a shed load on money for what you do, because if they did not you might spend more time being so negative here on the Genii board.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise you were interpreting my free factual advise as negative. Let me rephrase it all.

Jeff, your picture is awesome, I'm sure you will somehow be able to get round the fact that search engines cannot read pictures with nothing more than your devilish charm and good looks. You are awesome in everything you do.

There, happy now?

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 28th, 2012, 9:40 am

There's the last word... Oh Damn...

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2012, 9:56 am

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:There's the last word... Oh Damn...

DAMIAN, not Damn. Although I can understand why you'd get confused.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 28th, 2012, 10:49 am

The number of hits is not the only consideration of importance. I do not want thousands of hits per day. A small number of quality hits can do the job nicely. A mere 25-60 hits gets me more business than I can handle. I do all I can to discourage tire kickers and inventory takers. I do not want to grow the business. It is where I want it. I'll chose quality hits over quantity any day. The site owners goals are more important than hit stats. If the site meets goals, it does the job. I do not want to pay for useless high traffic to my site and have to deal with the resulting pointless emails generated by high numbers.

When I produce something, it takes time and there is only so much time. This business model does not lend itself to high numbers.
Jim

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2012, 11:33 am

Jim Riser wrote:The number of hits is not the only consideration of importance. I do not want thousands of hits per day. A small number of quality hits can do the job nicely. A mere 25-60 hits gets me more business than I can handle. I do all I can to discourage tire kickers and inventory takers. I do not want to grow the business. It is where I want it. I'll chose quality hits over quantity any day. The site owners goals are more important than hit stats. If the site meets goals, it does the job. I do not want to pay for useless high traffic to my site and have to deal with the resulting pointless emails generated by high numbers.

When I produce something, it takes time and there is only so much time. This business model does not lend itself to high numbers.
Jim

AJM

Postby AJM » June 28th, 2012, 5:12 pm

I have to agree with Damian on this - you've got to maximise your hit rates.

I mean take the EMC for instance - I'm trying to sign up for this year's conference and do you think I can find it on Google by typing in 'EMC'?

No I jolly well cannot!

Oh well, its their loss - I think I'll just go to the Genii Basn instead....

Maybe someone on the forum with a modicum of technical experience could set the EMC folks straight on this.

Damian - do you know anyone who's good on computers?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 28th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Simply try a little harder. Just type EMC and magic. I always add magic to any such search and usually have little difficulty.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 28th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Whoosh!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 28th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Okay my friends, both Jeff and Damian have made their points and positions known to all of us, so let's leave the criticism of the website for now.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 2nd, 2012, 11:15 am

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:Btw, my service provider fixed the redirect problem, I added a Site map to the bottom of my picture website that Google can't read and it's ranking in the #1 position. So I can have my cake and eat it too.
I'll get the video up next.

Jeff

How's that holding up?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”