Coin Thru Silk

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Scott Fridinger

Coin Thru Silk

Postby Scott Fridinger » December 31st, 2005, 7:23 pm

Anyone know where I can get sheer silks for the Coin thru Silk ala Ammar/Roth? I am just looking for replacement silks, I already have the routine.

Dave V

Re: Coin Thru Silk

Postby Dave V » December 31st, 2005, 11:50 pm

Wal Mart sells them for about $2.00
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Postby Guest » December 31st, 2005, 11:51 pm

I'm sure they are sold wherever sheer silks for manly men are sold.

why not coins through Bounty Paper Towels? or Kleenex? or a T-shirt?

or more on-topic, perhaps a lady confederate could wear a nice silk scarf to the show ...

[luckily, no thimbles were involved ... although really, does no-one do magic involving rocks and sticks anymore?]

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » January 1st, 2006, 7:29 am

Originally posted by kfortin:
I'm sure they are sold wherever sheer silks for manly men are sold.

why not coins through Bounty Paper Towels? or Kleenex? or a T-shirt?

or more on-topic, perhaps a lady confederate could wear a nice silk scarf to the show ...

[luckily, no thimbles were involved ... although really, does no-one do magic involving rocks and sticks anymore?]
I just want to say that this is one of the most visual effects in magic, since, it would seem the spectator can see through the silk and the magician, supposedly, can't hide anything. Anyway, your loss.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 1st, 2006, 10:35 am

It is a nice, visual trick. Don't know what David Roth has to do with it, though.
Michael Ammar's trick was inspired by a trick that appeared in Apocalypse: it wasn't Ammar's idea. Can't remember the creator's name: Russ or Russell something.
Anyway, I think if you fly down to Ft. Lauderdale you can just snatch one of those scarves from any old lady on the street. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » January 1st, 2006, 12:00 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Don't know what David Roth has to do with it, though.
Michael Ammar's trick was inspired by a trick that appeared in Apocalypse: it wasn't Ammar's idea. Can't remember the creator's name: Russ or Russell something.
Roth has a version of it on his Ultimate Collection DVD's, number 2 I think.

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2006, 12:21 pm

Originally posted by Scott Fridinger:
Anyone know where I can get sheer silks for the Coin thru Silk ala Ammar/Roth? I am just looking for replacement silks, I already have the routine.
Check out: www.ammarmagic.com Michael sells the sheer silks for about $6.00 each. There are different colors to choose from. The silks are in the "Magic Shop" under the MONEY TRICKS section. :)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 1st, 2006, 12:30 pm

Scott, thanks! Didn't know David did the trick. (And I guess that tells you how many DVDs I watch.)

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 1st, 2006, 1:03 pm

I might be wrong, but David Roth does a version of Jack Chanin's "TV Surprise" and does not use a sheer silk. Along with RK, I'm not aware of his doing a routine along the lines of what Ammar has promoted in recent lectures. Should you want to learn a killer handling of this effect, I respectfully direct you to Nathan Kranzo's "Outside the Box" DVD. It's title, surprisingly, is, "Coin Through Silk."

As to obtaining the silk, both Michael Ammar and John Thompson were selling them at lectures. John's silk was included in his "Balls in Net" routine manuscript. Happy New Year to all Forumites! ;)

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2006, 1:35 pm

You may find an interesting routine called TriThru on my web site, www.worldmagiccenter.com.
Al Schneider

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 1st, 2006, 2:34 pm

Al's routine is really cool, and well worth checking out.
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 1st, 2006, 6:05 pm

I just watched Al Schneider's routine--it's excellent!

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » January 1st, 2006, 6:50 pm

Thanks, Al. Beautiful routine! :) :)

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » January 1st, 2006, 9:43 pm

Ok, I havn't seen Roth's routine but here is the description:

"Coins Through SilkDavid Roths version of an effect made popular by Michael Ammar. Coins pass mysteriously and visibly through a sheer scarf."

I know Ammar sells the silks on his site for $6, but that is with the routine, and I know at his lecture he said you should be able to get them for about $3, I just can't find them anywhere.

Mr. Schneider I am going to check out your routine now.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » January 1st, 2006, 9:46 pm

Wow, that was pretty.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 1st, 2006, 10:55 pm

Just for the record:

LIQUID SILVER - Russ Burns
Published in the April 1981 issue of 'Apocalypse'.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 2nd, 2006, 5:17 am

To get back on track; if you can make it to a juggling shop, Mr. Babache juggling scarves are perfect for the routine. Babashe is a Swiss manufacturer, if that helps your search at all.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2006, 2:38 pm

I drove all over town looking for the right cloth.

In the end I cut up a bug net one hangs over a bed to keep bugs away. Got it at Pier One. You can make a lot with one purchase. It is easy to see through and is very, very soft.
Al Schneider

ggarcia

Postby ggarcia » January 2nd, 2006, 3:26 pm

I got mine from Kmart many years ago. I have seen them recently at Walmart. They are too big for me so i had a seamstress take them in a little bit. also, in case youre interested, i believe dean dill had a version on one of his video's and there is also a version from a guy in the U.K. its on a video called "Opus - Laid Back Too". there are two guys on this video and i am not sure which one is Opus. I got the video just to see this version of the coins thru silk effect so i havent seen the rest of it. heck, for all i know Opus may not pertain to either of their names at all.

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2006, 3:54 pm

By far, IMO, the best handling of this routine is by Chris Power. It can be found in his tape, Laid Back Too, featuring him and his partner Jay Jay performing various card and coin routines in London. It's hard to follow even during the explanation! He has a different approach to holding out that makes the routine so much cleaner.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2006, 3:02 pm

You can buy the perfect scarf, already hemmed from Michael Ammar's website for $6.00. It even includes an overview of the routine...

You can also buy a similar fabric a Joann's fabric shops, which are located throughout the U.S.

I prefer the ones I got from Michael.

I have tried Walmart with no luck. Try finding someone in the store who has a clue to what department they would be in! Also, I think it may be a seasonal item...

Ammar covers this routine in his Encore series (print) and on his complete coin magic DVD. I have performed this many times and it's a killer routine. There are some nice variation out there.

Also, check out Nathan Kranzo's excellent DVD "Outside the Box" for a wonderful coin through silk routine that also uses the sheer fabric... some of his moves can be used in Ammar's routine.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » January 6th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Thanks everyone. I did find them at Walmart. They were in the women's section around the belts and stuff. They are the exact brand Ammar sells. $1.96. Much better than $6.00 since I already have the routine from Ammar as well as his lecture DVD on the subject.

Thanks everyone that helped. I really couldn't believe the EXACT silks were at Walmart. I got 4, all they had, I will check back regularly.

(I also picked up some nice soft mercury dollars while I was out.)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 6th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Al:

That is an incredibly beautiful routine.

Pete

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 6th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Al's routine will appear in the March issue of Genii. Earle Oakes is doing the drawings right now.

CardFan

Postby CardFan » January 6th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Cool! Very nice routine, Al. Can't wait to learn it.

Postby Guest » January 8th, 2006, 8:49 am

Originally posted by Scott Fridinger:
Originally posted by kfortin:
[b][some blather posted earlier]
I just want to say that this is one of the most visual effects in magic, since, it would seem the spectator can see through the silk and the magician, supposedly, can't hide anything. [/b]
Scott, sorry that I went off on a side-rant ... your explanation makes sense and I'm glad you found the right silks for the effect. This turned out to be an informative thread as well :)

Kevin

Return to “Close-Up Magic”