Cards Up the Sleeve

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Sean Piper

Cards Up the Sleeve

Postby Sean Piper » January 26th, 2003, 3:59 pm

Two part question:

1) How many of you perform a version of this classic?

2) How do you choose to handle the last card?

I feel there is almost a sense of 'romance' associated with this effect, as performed by Vernon and many others.

After playing with the method from Royal Road to Card Magic though, I feel that the final card's travel is somewhat of an anti-climax.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Cards Up the Sleeve

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2003, 4:45 pm

In The Ramsay legend the second variation that Ramsay gives for ending the routine is great.

Noah Levine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 26th, 2003, 5:50 pm

Originally posted by NoahLevine:
In The Ramsay legend the second variation that Ramsay
Hi Noah,

Do you have any feelings on getting mechanical to vanish the last card? All the mis-calls and the clean vanishes up to the end are kind of tough to follow up.

-Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2003, 6:08 pm

Actually I think that if I put enough work into the End for the Ramsay routine then it should be clean, they think the card is in my left hand and its already in my pocket. When the false transer is done it has a motivation much like Vernon's ideas in The Dai Vernon book of magic when all the attention is focused on the wand not the ball being transfered, same thing except I am transfering the card so I can reach into my pocket. Unlike the use of a false transfer in other routines this one has motivation and a delay. I don't like all the through the knee stuff though. Also I forgot to mention that chuck smith has a very cool ending idea.

Noah Levine

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2003, 7:16 pm

What is your opinion on this Mr. Townsend?

Noah Levine

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » January 27th, 2003, 4:31 am

Regarding the last card----

In my routine the cards occasionally appear perversely in my left pocket instead of my right and the last card is in neither and I am confused. After looking I find it in my back pocket and I'm again confused and I shake my head in puzzlement.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » January 27th, 2003, 1:57 pm

Sean,

After quite a bit of experimenting and research, the best approach I'm aware of is Cliff Green's. See his book "Professiona Card Magic" and the description of his "General Delivery" in Richard Kaufman's "Cardmagic". Green abandons the "vanish the card, find the card" pattern present in most "Cards up" routines and prefers to vanish all the cards before finding any of them.

In my routine, I have four cards selected and signed. They are shuffled into the deck. I then shoot the cards up my sleeve, first one, then many at time, finding them at the top of the sleeve, in the pants pocket, behind the knee, until only four cards remain. These are revealed to be the selections.

The selections are then vanished one at a time, and then reproduced, one from each side jacket pocket, one from the back pocket, and one on my forehead. (The laugh at the end releases a lot of pressure,and cues laughter and applause)

See "Greensleeves" in "Professional Close Up of Curtis Kam" by Jerry Mentzer.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2003, 2:12 pm

The Cliff Green method, "General Delivery," is but one of many overlooked gems in the book. Three red and three blacks are chosen and remembered by the audience. (Please recall that his tricks were designed for platform use.)
The reds and blacks are interlaced and the entire packet vanished. The blacks all travel to one pocket, the reds to another. The last card goes someplace else.
It's a good way to do the trick, though of course the purists (I'm not using the term in a derogatory way), prefer the original Erdnase type handlings.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2003, 12:40 am

I've tried Vernon's version, it's the most difficult I know, but one of the very best, psicologically speaking.
Master Ascanio was very fond of Daley "Stars of magic", it's easier than Vernon and it's very well constructed, and easy to follow the plot, for the numerical sequence in the trip.
For me, the most practical version it's Cy Endfield version, and the finish it's good. (It's based in Tarbell version).

But the best finish I've found it's E. G. Brown. (it's simple and ingenious because all the technique it's done on the offbeat. I think it's the one used by Alan Saxon.

Don't forget "Five fly cards" by Ramsay it's a gem forgotten by almost everybody, I prefer it to Ramsay's version with ordinary cards (I think it's more magicians magic than for layman).

I Know that Danny Korem has a version with 7 signed large cards(no palming allowed); the last coming into wallet inside pocket. Do you know if he has published it or if he sells it ?

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 28th, 2003, 3:34 am

Manuel,

I'm fairly certain that Danny Korem published his 'Seven Signed Cards to the Pocket' back in 1980 in a manuscript titled "The Upside Down Toppit - Volume II".

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2003, 5:48 am

Thanks, John.
I'l try to get one

Manuel Cuesta

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2003, 6:04 am

For a super clean 4 card up the sleeve routine, check out Bullet Train in Carneycopia...

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 29th, 2003, 7:23 am

Interesting version in Stanley Collins' "Gems of Personal Prestidigitation" published for the first time as part of the new Stanley Collins biography by Edwin Dawes, a Kaufman & Co. book.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2003, 3:34 pm

Bobo had a very good version in "Watch this One".
This book is very little known in comparison with his more illustrious one, the classic "Modern Coin magic"
However it is a very useful little volume. I suspect that the "Cards up the Sleeve" version he includes is the best thing in the book. The gags are great if nothing else. I have been using the gags for years and years even though I don't do the actual trick.
I think my favourite version is the one in Royal Road to Card Magic under the more common title "cards to pocket"

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 22nd, 2003, 7:48 pm

Bullet Train (which is also on the video Commercial Carney) is a greate 'taste' of cards up the sleeve using only four cards.

Having just seen John do the full deck version, with his clever comedy crossing of the last card, and then seeing the four card version I have to say that I prefer Bullet Train.

The full deck version is in his new book Secrets and it's not in any way lacking... it's just that I like the four card version better.

Perhaps because I can see myself using it...

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » February 22nd, 2003, 7:59 pm

Does anyone know who carries the previously mentioned Danny Korem manuscript, '7 Signed Cards to Pocket'?
Thanks,
Grant

Doc Rogers
Favorite Magician: Daryl, Michael Vincent ,David Regal

Postby Doc Rogers » February 24th, 2003, 6:52 am

Noah Levine mentions Chuck Smith's ending. I have seen many references here on the Forum and in other places (Fisher's Bicycle Thief DVD) to Smith's routine. Is it published or commercially available?
Steve

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 24th, 2003, 7:44 am

Chuck Smith's first two sets of lecture notes (What If? and Why Not?) were $25 each and well worth it. Each contains a Cards to Pocket routine. The last address I have for him is Chuck Smith, 910 South Canal Street, Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220. I believe he also has a newer book that I don't own. I purchased the earlier notes directly from the author.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 24th, 2003, 10:51 am

Pat Page's cards to pocket... Kaps featured it. Can't be all bad. Great premise, and easy to do as drinking water.
Stay tooned.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 25th, 2003, 1:11 pm

I've been happy performing the Daley version - but without the numbered cards...but I guess whichever method, the trick needs to be sold well. I wish i'd seen Bertram perform it.

I've always fancied the Robert-Houdin precursor using a selected card and the whole pack. The difficulty being it would be hard enough keeping an audience interested for 32 cards, let alone the 52 we have now. Time machine, anyone?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 25th, 2003, 8:52 pm

Correction: I just stumbled upon Jamy's review of Chuck Smith's next set of lecture notes, Tools of the Trade ($50). The newer address is 702 N. Guadalupe St., Carlsbad, NM 08220, or chuck@caverns.com. This is September 2001 info.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”