Most unusual "Impossible location"

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Most unusual "Impossible location"

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2005, 11:42 am

Hi guys,
what was the most unusual impossible location that you have ever performed?

I'll start with mine...."Card in Haggis"

I'd be happy to explain in more detail if neccessary.

Chris

Re: Most unusual "Impossible location"

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2005, 3:06 pm

I sold food to restaurants for 27 years so I

know. Did you wear your kilts when you performed

the trick.

David Harkey had a card in egg in an old Genii

that required surgery on the chicken, I think

it was a joke ........Mike

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2005, 3:20 pm

I perform a signed card to nipplering. Most people find that to be unusual, at least I do.

Jason

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 6th, 2005, 6:54 pm

Card on my forehead. That is an unusual location (for me)!

Actually I have done Derman's "Card in Chicken's A**" a few times.
Stay tooned.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » December 6th, 2005, 7:45 pm

I've done a card on a girl's belly button ring. (And confess to also having done Derman's Card in Chicken.)

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2005, 9:33 am

I read an effect where a transposition happens with a signed coin and the magicians tes**cal! I believe it had something to do with Goshman pinch. I'm sure this idea belongs to Lovell and a few other guys.

For reference purposes check for this in ChannelOne mag. In case your wondering. :D

Jason

George Olson

Postby George Olson » December 7th, 2005, 9:47 am

Reed Mclintocks card in a tattoo (with 52 to choose from)is a "permanent" unusual location~!

GO

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2005, 10:31 am

I did a card to icecube once, that was unusual.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Makers of miracles for magicians and mentalists

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 7:35 am

Pete.
That's a rip off of Whizzo's Ace in the hole

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 7:46 am

Warning.. This is gross!!

Some years ago, I was the close-up performer at the Mouse Trap (strip joint) in Newport, Ky.

Two of the strippers wanted me to add some "gross magic" to their act.

At that time, they where all nude.

I helped one "prepare" herself for the streamer production from her you-know-what [edited by RK]. This brought the house down.

After several weeks of this, she wanted to pay me for a more advanced act..

You guessed it!

Selected card, marked, appeared and found at the same place.

In case you doubt me working there, send an email to Tom Frank.

Tom Wolf aka "Mike".

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 8:01 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Card on my forehead. That is an unusual location (for me)!
At the Castle last night, I made a joke about "Card to the Spectator's Forehead." Then I got to thinking -- if you could palm the card, and then you could make some remark about the spectator possibly having a fever, and feel his or her forehead, you just might be able to get away with it. That would be a hell of a thing.

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 10:05 am

If you are seriously going to try to load a spectators face and want to warm the card load it into your pants pocket and let it get warm by being next to your leg. That way you don't have to hold out for so long.

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 10:34 am

You might be able control the card to the bottom and just hold the deck, so your hand would warm the card up. Then palm it from the bottom. The real problem is getting some saliva on the spectator's forehead to make it stick.

I also think a small hand mirror is going to be a necessary prop in this trick.

BTW I believe the chicken-surgery-based Harkey effect is a coin in egg.

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 11:56 am

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
The real problem is getting some saliva on the spectator's forehead to make it stick.
Spectators are sometimes disgusted by the thought that a card is stuck to your own forehead by spit. They really won't thank you if you do it to them. Try applying water to the card, or do it for spectator who's perspiring slightly.

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 4:34 pm

Originally posted by James in Toronto:
Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
[b] The real problem is getting some saliva on the spectator's forehead to make it stick.
Spectators are sometimes disgusted by the thought that a card is stuck to your own forehead by spit. They really won't thank you if you do it to them. Try applying water to the card, or do it for spectator who's perspiring slightly. [/b]
Guess I should have indicated that this was a joke.

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 6:54 pm

Didnt David Acer recently suggested somewhere that sarcasm didnt play well on the written page? Well there you go!

S.

And Tom Wolf; ever had any problem applying saliva at the strip joint? (Sorry! This one was too easy!) :D

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 8:22 pm

As a young buck (or punk, as the case may be) I performed what I called the "Call Me Homing Card." I sat a guy down, and, while doing an outrageous southern evangelical faith healer character, spoke about everyone having the power of magic in them, and it just had to be brought out. All you had to do was BEEEE-LIEVE!! I laid my hands upon him, and, when I came away, his selected card was on his forehead. He was then able to project his thoughts to various audience members, who would identify things about his card. Having a reason to put my hand, with the deck still in it, on his forehead helped a lot, as did getting a sweaty balding gentleman. As an emergency back up, I had a loop of double stick tape stuck to the back of my pants. I did this probably 50-100 times, to great success, and only a slight tarnishing of my immortal soul. The look on the guy's face as he succeeds, with the card on his forehead, is priceless, and they never, not once, caught on. And, in about 25% of the cases, when I pulled it off of his head with a flourish, they actually thought I was magically making it appear. A bonus effect, just for him. Maybe someday I'll release the real work...

Postby Guest » December 8th, 2005, 9:52 pm

Originally posted by Seb Talbot:
Didnt David Acer recently suggested somewhere that sarcasm didnt play well on the written page?
I thought David was kidding!

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2005, 3:36 am

Didnt David Acer recently suggested somewhere that sarcasm didnt play well on the written page? Well there you go!

S.

And Tom Wolf; ever had any problem applying saliva at the strip joint? (Sorry! This one was too easy!) :D
No, I never had to apply anything.
All was already wet..lol..

Postby Guest » December 9th, 2005, 9:00 am

Wow!
Didn't Lance Burton work at a strip club? I wonder if he ever had this kind of experience.
I need to get a gig at one of these clubs! :D
Jason

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2005, 8:44 am

I just DO NOT GET how you could do close-up in a strip joint! What the h"&*! Seriously... Tom?

Not that I would ' nt enjoy it but...you know?

S.

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2005, 3:33 pm

I recall reading somewhere that Lance Burton

played a club in L.A. called the body shop.Sure

sounds like a strip club......Mike

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 11th, 2005, 6:24 pm

The guy who owned the Body Shop in LA (or the manager) really liked magic: not only did Lance work there, but so did Max Maven and Tom Mullica.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2005, 6:34 pm

Yep, I remember folks working there as far back as the late '70's. "Goldfinger and Dove" worked up a lot of thier material at "The Body Shop", if I remember correctly...

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2005, 3:42 am

If I recall correctly, I believe that Ed Marlo also worked at a strip joint.

I believe they hired him because he had such excellent hand control..

Go figure..

Tom Wolf

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2005, 5:05 am

I just DO NOT GET how you could do close-up in a strip joint! What the h"&*! Seriously... Tom?

Not that I would ' nt enjoy it but...you know?

S.
Hi Seb,

I was teaching the club's owner, Tom Sexton, close-up card magic and he asked me to work at his club doing magic.
I agreed only if he would build a close-up section at his bar complete with spot light, mat, etc.

He agreed and the adventure went on.

I have some great pictures from there.
I showed them to Eddie Marlo and he almost fell off the chair laughing.

Great memories...

Tom Wolf

David Acer

Postby David Acer » December 13th, 2005, 4:28 pm

Originally posted by JasonDean:
I read an effect where a transposition happens with a signed coin and the magicians tes**cal! I believe it had something to do with Goshman pinch. I'm sure this idea belongs to Lovell and a few other guys.
Actually, the initialed-coin/spectator's testicle transposition was a problem I posed in Channel One, for which Simon Lovell offered an ingenious and (perhaps more horrifying) workable solution involving the Tenkai (a.k.a. Goshman) Pinch. Steve Bedwell (a doctor) also has some work on the trick, and I came up with another method, all of which is sitting on my computer along with 11 other effects I devised for a booklet I don't have the courage to release called The Sick Brain.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » December 13th, 2005, 5:57 pm

Hey Tom,

Yeah, it makes sense to have a special place just for the performer: I was picturing walkaround stuff... Which would definitely be THE WORST EVER GIG EVER IMAGINED BY ANYONE.................

PS Any cool stories from the place? Perhaps on another thread, though...

Have a nice one,
S.

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2005, 3:37 am

Hey Tom,

Yeah, it makes sense to have a special place just for the performer: I was picturing walkaround stuff... Which would definitely be THE WORST EVER GIG EVER IMAGINED BY ANYONE.................

PS Any cool stories from the place? Perhaps on another thread, though...

I have so many of them!!!

I am not able to tell you them because Richard is trying to keep these comments clean and I understand that.

What a trip it was complete with a Lot of benefits.

Tom Wolf

Have a nice one,
S.

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2005, 9:22 am

Originally posted by David Acer:
[b] I read an effect where a transposition happens with a signed coin and the magicians tes**cal! I believe it had something to do with Goshman pinch. I'm sure this idea belongs to Lovell and a few other guys.
Actually, the initialed-coin/spectator's testicle transposition was a problem I posed in Channel One, for which Simon Lovell offered an ingenious and (perhaps more horrifying) workable solution involving the Tenkai (a.k.a. Goshman) Pinch. Steve Bedwell (a doctor) also has some work on the trick, and I came up with another method, all of which is sitting on my computer along with 11 other effects I devised for a booklet I don't have the courage to release called The Sick Brain. [/b]
I remeber now. I thought you had something to do with this. Out of curiosity can you give us a list of effects in the "Sick Brain"? I'm ready for a good laugh! :D

Jason

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2005, 11:14 am

Too bad, Tom! I guess I' ll just use my imagination... :p
S

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » December 14th, 2005, 12:35 pm

I just finished doing 10 months of close-up strolling at the Penthouse Club in Denver .. so it can be done ...

Re Imp. Loc.; who could forget Chris Korn's Card From Butt ?...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

David Acer

Postby David Acer » December 15th, 2005, 9:50 am

I remeber now. I thought you had something to do with this. Out of curiosity can you give us a list of effects in the "Sick Brain"? I'm ready for a good laugh! :D

Jason [/qb]
The ratio of people who would laugh at the list to people who would be inconsolably mortified is just too low.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » December 15th, 2005, 7:57 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
Actually, the initialed-coin/spectator's testicle transposition was a problem I posed in Channel One, for which Simon Lovell offered an ingenious and (perhaps more horrifying) workable solution involving the Tenkai (a.k.a. Goshman) Pinch. Steve Bedwell (a doctor) also has some work on the trick, and I came up with another method, all of which is sitting on my computer along with 11 other effects I devised for a booklet I don't have the courage to release called The Sick Brain.

I believe that Ross Bertram once told David Ben, "There's a lot you can do with a sack of nuts." :rolleyes:

Return to “Close-Up Magic”