Translocation/shadow

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Dmatthew

Translocation/shadow

Postby Dmatthew » January 25th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Hey all, looking for good book (preferably) or dvd on Translocation and Shadow coins. I understand the basic concept but have not ventured into the "backfire" realm so to speak.
Also, I started coind magic with the David Roth videos to begin the basics and was wondering what a next step might be.
Any recommendations?
DM
"Few things are impossible to diligence and skill"
Samuel Johnson

Evan Shuster

Re: Translocation/shadow

Postby Evan Shuster » January 25th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Are you referring to the Mendoza routine? If so, I can highly recommend David Regal's version, complete with coins and instructional DVD.

Dmatthew

Postby Dmatthew » January 26th, 2008, 1:32 pm

Evan, I have to be honest, I actually learned the beginning idea from someone at a local magic shop and then watched John Borne perform one with an instant back-fire of the coins to thier original position and was blown away. I don't necessarily know that I want his routine, I would just like to check out the options available, especially onws that are highly visual and have storng foundations in concept. That is why I would prefer a book but dvd would suffice if it is in depth.
Thanks for your help too!
DM
Samuel Johnson

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 26th, 2008, 2:16 pm

John Kennedy's Translocation was in his third set of lecture notes. The version of Roth's chink-a-chink using coins designed to be done on the floor appeared in an Ammar book as "Shadow Coins". The chink-a-chink backfire using coins appeared in an issue of Magic Man Examiner as "Rice Coins". If you're up for investing in the trick, Dean Dill found an impressive way to end the item by producing another twelve coins on the table.

Not sure what you mean by "next step" as the first step is finding a presentation for the trick.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » January 26th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Ahhh...
Yes, I meant Kennedy, not Mendoza. There's also a version of Dill's Coin Explosion explained in Apocalypse. March '94. Vol. 17, #3.

Dmatthew

Postby Dmatthew » January 27th, 2008, 10:44 am

Yes, Kennedy. I did know that Trnaslocation was his I believe. I'll have to check into his to start I guess. That would make sense. I do the chink-a-chink from Roth as well as shadow coins with the gimmick. I do not have any idea as far as the back-fire so your input will be very helpful. I was also wondering what might be a good next step in coin magic after Bobo and the David Roth stuff. Sny ideas?
Thanks again guys!
DM
Samuel Johnson

Dmatthew

Postby Dmatthew » January 27th, 2008, 10:46 am

Sorry for the crapy typos! I guess I need to double check my stuff before i post!
Samuel Johnson

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » January 30th, 2008, 9:26 am

John Kennedy's Translocation does have a "backfire" sequence taught in the write-up. This is a classic routine for good reason. Very strong, almost perfect tabled coins across, with simple props.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”