Dad Stevens Cull

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Re: Dad Stevens Cull

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2007, 9:00 pm

The real question is....can you do THIS... :p

I guess I should warn that this link has some rough language...

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2007, 4:36 am

Geezzz....I've always had a problem with that "boom-boom-boom" move. 'Course, I've never used the "enunciated deck".

Gotta practice more..

Adrian

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2007, 7:00 am

Hi Steve Draun,

Well, I love ace cutting routines and yours is excellent in my opinion. It is hard to find ace cutting presentations that use the Stevens Cull and even rarer to find a routine that has a magical ending. Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Paul H

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2007, 9:31 am

Very nice Steve I am glad I got to see that. It is a pleasure watching another person do magic when it is done well.

However, I like the freedom the Stevens cull gives me in the way that I can cut to the aces from an unprepared deck.

Plus the freedom it gives in letting the spectators shuffle the deck - even between cuts if they want to. This can open up many comedy situations and by play with the audience.

Others may remember my cut the aces routine with the Stevens cull.

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennb ... tsaces.wmv

Or they may not - but that is Ok with me (laughing).

Best ahead!

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2007, 9:36 am

"Well thanks for your interest. I did it with a pack of bicycles ($1.25 at Coscos) and I shuffled on a velour remnant that I found on sale at the fabric store ($0.85)"

Steve

I pissed myself after reading this, thanks for getting my day off to a great, albeit wet start.

Brett

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2007, 11:37 am

That was a very nice demo Glen, and although it may be beside the point the shuffle techniques you used had nothing to do with what Vernon showed me and published in his book as the Stevens Shuffle. What you were doing is blocking off and then doing a block transfer. Whos technique you used for the block transfer I dont know but since I have never seen it before I would guess its your own. In the original Stevens Shuffle or variations by Fulves, Wimhurst, Jennings and others (myself) THERE IS NO BLOCK TRANSFER. This is an important point because with transfers you could preserve the order of the entire deck, minus the transferred cards, (Triumph) or not its your choice. This is not true of the Stevens Shuffle or its variants. Thats only one difference, there are others which make these shuffles light years apart.
Anyway Glen, Regardless of any technical stuff its still a good demo.
Steve

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2007, 11:59 am

Thanks very much Steve. For those that don't know I don't get to see that much magic anymore so when I get to see a video - like Steves work it is a treat. Steve and I did, I think one show together with about 10 or 15 other close up magicians from Chicago. For Walgreens - Al James and my Dad were booked on the same show to.

I think I met Steve through Bill Malone in a restaurant across the street from magic Inc. The night I did a lecture for the Wizards club there. Bill Weimer and the rest of the Bit "O" Magic gang came to see me lecture and after - we went out to eat. Those were fun days.

Getting back to the Stevens cull I have never read anything on it except "some of" what is in Revelations. To be honest and because I am dyslexic I am not sure if I read moves right and often go into my own variations.

I got the idea from the way Jack Pyle worked and how he shuffled the deck three or four times between each card effect. While watching him it hit me - I could cull 4 cards during that time and with just about as many shuffles.

Then it hit me why not cut the aces one by one - If I cull them one at a time and cut them as I cull them the spectator can shuffle the deck between cuts. And that is what I went after.

I know there is other information in print now that I did not know about when I worked this out and I do not own the books. I am not up on what is new since the magic shop my Dad owned closed. I just work on what I know and old stuff and try to come up with some things I can use.

I use the triumph shuffle to stack cards and use it for a shuffle stack. And I also use it to cull cards and cut to the aces in a different but easier way depending on my mood. I have no idea if what I do was in print before but I worked it out for me to do as I do other things.

If you liked that here is a link to my punch cull work...

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennb ... chcull.wmv

And my scissor bottom deal...

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennb ... omdeal.wmv

How about seconds and thirds? This one was taped a long time ago.

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/glennb ... nddeal.wmv

I really liked Steves routine a lot and was very impressed with the ending. I will be putting his L and L DVD's on my want list this year.

I really enjoyed the video it is a different and wonderful direction than what I was going after - thanks Steve!

Best ahead.

Interesting after posting this I had over 80 downloads in one day of the video "Glenn Bishop cuts the aces". Also many downloads of my punch deal video and my scissor bottom deal.

I hope they enjoyed the "free" show!

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2007, 10:21 am

Steve although what you say about Mr. Bishop handling is true as I see from his technique in the video instead of cutting to the aces he can cull on the fly with this technique...something you can't do with the Steven's Cull. Glenn you've helped me again with a new idea. Keep up the always excellent work.

Take Care

Doc

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Doc - I have said this before I find your shuffle work amazing. And your deck switch work and everything else you have put on video some of the best card work I have seen to this date.

Thanks for the kind words.

One of the things that I often take for granted is the way that I grew up. I had a lot of experienced older magicians show me things.

Often I would also show them. In that day there was less written in magic about the history of moves. I learned the side steal as a full palm method and a bold method. Now most magicians call what I learned as the bold method "the technical side steal."

I find talking about magic today can be as confusing as reading magic - for me - anyway. I learned what I do and call the Stevens cull from the book Revelations. As I said I have dyslexia so what I do when I practice often leads to my own variations.

I have been told by many older magicians what I do is a block transfer shuffle and others say it's the Stevens cull.

I don't know who is right but I do it and use it because it fits in with what I am doing and gets the job done. Yes I can stack cards with this shuffle and also with the triumph shuffle. I think I wrote up the triumph shuffle stack in one of my blog books.

Best ahead!

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2007, 12:14 pm

I would just like to add that I have had over 500 downloads for the month of magicians that watched my wmf video of the Cut the aces routine, punch cull and scissor bottom.

Thanks for the kind words Doc and Steve!

Enjoy!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 27th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Doc rocks... as always.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » March 28th, 2007, 6:37 am

And Bish The Magish roll's - roll the video we will be right back after this short station break!

(Laughing).

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2007, 3:58 am

Just trying to breathe a little life back into the original discussion with David Ben and R. Paul Wilson.

How are things coming along with your manuscripts?

tcb

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 10:50 am

Speaking of table shuffle work I think that Dai Vernon's Triumph is one of the best table shuffles that there is. I wrote up how I use it to stack four aces from the bottom of the deck in one of my free e-books that is at my web site.

The problem I have had with table riffle shuffle stacks is that as the cards are stacked one at a time. The cards (aces) go deeper into the deck. As this (aces going deeper) happens while shuffling the dealer (or magician) can lose an ace.

The neat thing about this triumph shuffle is that it is also a false shuffle. So as the aces are stacked there is less chance of accidentally losing one or two of the aces as you stack them one at a time.

This also works well with culling aces on the fly and stacking them in what I call the Triumph cull-stack.

Just some added thoughts.

Onward and upward!

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » March 14th, 2008, 11:08 am

Just to add to this interesting thread about culling and stacking cards here is some video of me doing what I call "The Triple Duke Triumph".

A demo using the Dai Vernon Triumph Shuffle to cull stack four aces from a slug. And giving two players good hands. The third hand gets four kings - the fourth hand gets four jacks and the fifth hand the magician dealer gets four aces.

Here is the video link http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/GlennB ... riumph.wmv

Enjoy!

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » March 15th, 2008, 11:46 am

I would like to add that this is a deck from Wal-mart. It is not tricked up in any way. No short cards - no corner shorts - no punch or peg work - no juice - no sand work - no belly strippers - no stripper deck - no kidding!

I could do this with any deck of cards - I just put the aces in and then cull stack them and deal out the five hands - it is all done with the Triumph shuffle.

But in using the Triumph shuffle you don't have to put the aces into the deck as in the demo video. You can also take a shuffled deck and cull stack two of a kind - or three of a kind - or perhaps even four of a kind (if your a magician) - on the fly from a shuffled borrowed deck of cards.

The thing that I like about it is that I am culling from a slug of cards. With most card stacking methods that I have read in print. The magician or the card shark stacks the aces from the top or the bottom of the deck. In this method the slug (aces) are not on the top or the bottom.

http://www.mrhypnotist.org/video/GlennB ... riumph.wmv

Enjoy!

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » March 16th, 2008, 12:36 pm

I would like to also add that there is no edge work in the deck of any kind. And the "culled cards the aces" are not placed next to key cards that could be located by feel.

And No Crimps - no kidding!

Enjoy!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”