THE BEST GOSH DARN IMPROMPTU LINKING CARD EFFECT YOU'LL EVER SEE!

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Vraagaard

THE BEST GOSH DARN IMPROMPTU LINKING CARD EFFECT YOU'LL EVER SEE!

Postby Vraagaard » July 25th, 2005, 12:45 am

So,

I've been doing the linking card routine by Paul Harris Card board connection, Immaculate connection and osmosis, I'm aware of Sean Fields linkage although I never decided to practice the effect, and I'm a sucker for Sixten Beme's One card link.

Now I stumbled across Harry Loraynes THE BEST GOSH DARN IMPROMPTU LINKING CARD EFFECT YOU'LL EVER SEE! from Quantum Leap and from his DVD. Now it's so darn easy and it looks great. But with most of these linking card effects, the more you rehearse them the more they seem to loose their magic (in your own eyes). So my question to those of you who really have performing experience with THE BEST GOSH DARN IMPROMPTU LINKING CARD EFFECT YOU'LL EVER SEE! I have a question? Have you ever had your audinece say "They are not linked" during performance? Have you ever had them say "ah now I can see how it's done" after you leave them with the final display in their hands. Is the final display you leave them with actually a give away?? I guess not - since Lorayne would probably have figured out a different ending if it was a give away - but when you know the method it just seems a little like a give away. Whats your experience??

Best regards

Jan

mago

Re: THE BEST GOSH DARN IMPROMPTU LINKING CARD EFFECT YOU'LL EVER SEE!

Postby mago » July 25th, 2005, 3:40 am

Hi Jan,

In the Many times that I have performed the linking card effect, I have never had anyone tell me that they where not linked.

Do your presentation well and they will love the effect almost as much as I do. Lol.

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » July 25th, 2005, 11:50 pm

Well, I dress rehearsed it yesterday, meaning I performed it for my most critical audience - being my girl friend. She had seen all the other linking card effects I have performed, so she new what was coming. She watched me like a hawk - as usual - and she didn't believe her eye's. Best part is that the patter line set her up to believe that there must have been a secret tear, she just couldn't find it. Meaning she honestly believed the cards were linked (through a secret tear) which tells me that the optical illusion works perfect.

BTW I did the initial link according to 5CardStuds suggestion (in another forum), and it worked just fine. He suggested to alter the initial link from the original Harry Lorayne method. In stead he suggested to insert the two pieces to each other and visually rub them together. Now I want to work to establish a very open and visual handling of the two frames into a link to make it seem even more magical.

Check point: I'll try it out on my magician friends tonight and see their reaction. I think we have an impromptu master piece in our hands - thanks to Harry Lorayne.

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2005, 10:16 pm

Man, I've got a few handlings of my own, and some from others, both mpromtue and not, but now I want to find out more about this one.

Is there a demo any where, or even does any one have a video of themselves?

Thanks
Glenn

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » July 29th, 2005, 12:06 am

Originally posted by Glenn West:
Man, I've got a few handlings of my own, and some from others, both mpromtue and not, but now I want to find out more about this one.

Is there a demo any where, or even does any one have a video of themselves?

Thanks
Glenn
Hi Glenn,

It's on a DVD put together by two of Lorayne's VHS tapes (so it's a double treat) called "Magical Classics DVD" by Harry Lorayne and sold on hocus-pocus.com for the low price of 29,95. It's a wonderfull DVD full of great stuff and a lot of great "utility" moves, some of them "new" even to a fairly experienced card'ster like myself.

It's so bold and ingenious. I tried it the other night for my magician friends, and they all kept discussing where I must have put the secret tear, which tells me the visual illusion is perfect. Another thing I forgot to mention - you actually put the linked card in the spectators hand, and they get to hold the final display. It's great, it's totally impromptu - it's magic.

BTW, Glenn when are you going to re-release "Seamless"?

Best regards

Jan

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2005, 9:28 am

lol, thanks for the description.

As for Seamless, it is still stuck on a portable hard drive of a friends. Even I don't know. Sorry. But thanks for asking.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 30th, 2005, 10:54 am

I remember seeing Frank Garcia perform
"TBGDLCEYES" for Dick Cavett around 1979(?) on his PBS talk show. I eventually read about it in Lorayne's Quantuum Leaps . :)

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2005, 6:20 pm

When doing the Lorayne linking cards (which is basically what we used to do with rubber bands as kids but it does look "different when done with cards" I found that using the illogical line when you have linked them together and are showing it on your fingers saying "and they are not only linked in one BUT two places" and then you have to "tear them to take them apart" is what really sells the effect. The simple fact is that it is all in the "sell".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Check out Jack Dean's "Trilogy"

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2005, 10:42 am

This effect is also in Simon Lovell's Close Up Magic to Tapdance to, where it's known as Fifty Quid Biz.

Dave

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2005, 9:42 am

I have experimented with a number of linking card effects, including Paul Harris's excellent treatments of the plot. I'm currently working on "Osmosis" from the AoA books.

However, Lorayne's TBGDILCEYES is the only one that is in my current working repertoire. In fact, I've been using it as a closer for my standard walkaround card set for the past year. The reactions I get from this effect are among the strongest I receive from my close-up performances.

Yes, it is incredibly simple...and yes, it is incredibly convincing and looks beautiful. However, thoughtful, persistent spectators WILL work it out if given the opportunity. So don't give it to them.

In the year or so that I have been performing the effect, I have encountered three spectators who actually worked out the method; what all three instances had in common was that I let the specs keep the ripped pieces of the card at the close of the effect. As well, all three were obsessively committed to figuring out how it was done. I'm big on giving out "souvenirs" of my performances and was hesitant to drop the giveaway of the links. I've found though, that the spectators are just as happy keeping the "insides" of the card as they are with the actual links.

My ending has a spectator and I tugging on the cards until they rip apart; this free handling has been enough to dispel any suspicions of gimmickry. I simply pick up the torn pieces and display them, then drop them in a small pouch I have attached to my belt for just that purpose (Card Warp pieces and broken elastics end up in there, too).

FYI, I've also modified Lorayne's handling of the actual link. I never liked the instantaneous "swivel" linking move. I have worked out a different handling backed with patter based on the "Air Cushion Finish" applied to Bicycle cards. It's worked out fine for me.

Vraagaard

Postby Vraagaard » August 17th, 2005, 1:37 am

Hi Jack,

Great advice there, thanks. I also have changed the initial link phase, I now patter and rub the two cards to "make" them link, Then I go into Loraynes procedure - and I believe I will try out your ending to actually have the spectator holding one end and I the other and then tug them apart. Thats a great ending - it shows the cards are linked, it actually makes the spectator feel that the cards are linked and everybody see them tearing apart - that simply enhances the impression and leaves the evidence ruined - thanks for sharing.

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2005, 12:08 pm

Jan,

FYI, if you go to my website and open the Photo Gallery page, you will find a link to a page of photos of the "2004 Saskatoon Fringe Festival." Go to that page and scroll down about six or seven photos. You will see a picture of my ending for TBGDILCEYES...taken about a second before the links tore apart.

BTW, a gallery of photos from the 2005 Fringe Festival will be up within a day or so.

Let me know how the "tandem tear" ending works for you!

Jack Skrip
Blackjack Magic
http://www.blackjackmagic.ca

Return to “Close-Up Magic”