Expert Card Technique

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jonathan Townsend

Re: Expert Card Technique

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 6th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Dustin - given the choice I'd be happier to see a new edition of ECT made available at low cost and (as posted months ago) see that as a way to put the book back under copyright protection. An analogy of what as being similar to what?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 6th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:An analogy of what as being similar to what?

Well you got me, JT. I just figured since you thought Vernons students and their reticence to share was somehow analogous to this conversation Id use the word for you (since you brought it up in the first place). Oh, wait: was the Geoff Latta reference analogous to this or Vernon in California? Oh never mind.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 6th, 2011, 4:12 pm

The analogy goes as far as people who saw things publishing without permission. Geoff's material has remained quiet - thanks to all involved.

My hypothesis that some of Vernon's circle were affected by the H&B situation stands. On the this BBS, early on, I asked someone about a couple of items from the 1970s. Nuff said - his to do as he sees fit.

I won't hold my breath for a corrected version of ECT.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 6th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Aside from the Charlie Miller material and the Vernon All Backs routine, I really haven't used a lot of the material directly from this book. I'm sure that some of the routines I do have roots in some of the technique here--for example, the Pop-Up Card. (Is that move also Miller's by the way?)

Do many of you use the book's contents on a frequent basis? If so, what do you actually use?

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » January 7th, 2011, 7:25 am

I think for example that Contrary do as I do or Cagliostro cuts the cards is quite useable.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 7th, 2011, 11:27 am

But - do you use them?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » January 7th, 2011, 11:29 am

Rub-a-dub-dub, Psychic Stop and Peregrinating Pip are all good.

I seem to recall that the idea of using a half-memorized deck (which Tamariz elaborates on in Mnemonica) came from here as well.

Pop-Up Card is, I believe, Braue's.
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Justin Wheatley

Postby Justin Wheatley » January 17th, 2011, 5:42 pm

I will forever be indebted to this book for introducing me to that psychological stop force.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » March 24th, 2011, 9:09 am

For those interested in tracking down the credits within Expert Card Technique, feel free to use MagicPedia to help document: http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Exp ... _Technique. I think most of the credits included in the book are already there.

Also, each article on MagicPedia has its own discussion page where you can propose ideas and debate ( http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Talk:Expert_Card_Technique ).
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 24th, 2011, 9:47 am

Are folks putting in the corrected handlings - missing bits in the tricks?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » March 24th, 2011, 10:04 am

Not yet.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Welles

Postby Welles » June 16th, 2012, 2:08 am

Perhaps an edition with loads of additional material could be compiled, but it wouldn't address the problem, which is that Hugard and Braue didn't have access to the correct information. Even when Charlie tipped Braue seems not to have appreciated the work, the result being descriptions less than useful. In many other cases, Miller didn't tip and the descriptions are pure supposition.
Certainly that was always the case with Vernon's work, and for the most part this is true with the material Mcmillen shared with Braue as well. A typical case is the Deck Vanish that Braue highly praises. Jack showed him that about 1936 but didn't tip. As a result the method is guesswork and leaves the reader who tries it to wonder why Braue was so impressed.

Someone might be interested in more of the same, but I really can't imagine why. I'd just as soon see the book forgotten.
In fact, I can't understand why it is still even discussed (in spite of some really wonderful stuff peppered amongst the junk.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”