Ricky Jay - Alaskan Poker

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Cardologist

Ricky Jay - Alaskan Poker

Postby Cardologist » July 6th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Does anyone know if this effect ever appeared in print or DVD?
If so where?

Thanks for your help

Jeff Haas

Re: Ricky Jay - Alaskan Poker

Postby Jeff Haas » July 7th, 2010, 12:21 am

Ricky Jay has not published anything about card magic except for "Cards as Weapons." And he probably never will.

William Phung

Postby William Phung » July 7th, 2010, 8:33 am

Even if one knew the method to this I doubt they could perform it to even half of Mr Jay's standard. The routine just screams Ricky Jay.Also a thorough knowledge of riffle technique will reveal the method.

Cardologist

Postby Cardologist » July 7th, 2010, 10:30 am

I know he never published any books but I thought for sure someones take or variation had to have appeared somewhere.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » July 7th, 2010, 10:43 am

Yes, the plot is credited to both Diaconis and Daley (entry 576 in the Daley Notebooks) usually. Handlings can be found HERE.

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » July 8th, 2010, 8:20 am

Several years ago (probably too many) your Editor in Chief sent out to all of his loyal customers an unpublished effect by Derek Dingle entitled "Australian Poker". I'm wondering if perhaps there might exist any inspirational correlation here to the above mentioned poker effect?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » July 8th, 2010, 11:56 am

I haven't seen Ricky's handling in a while, but I believe that Meir Yedid's Mixed-Up Poker (with a bit of handling of my own)in Best of Friends, Vol.1 is about the same effect, except faros are used instead of riffle shuffles. Better for me, because it's easier for me to do faros than riffle shuffles. Anyway, that was back in 1982. HL.

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » July 9th, 2010, 11:00 am

Hello,

Nick Trost also published a version using the slop shuffle mechanic (see "The Cardmagic of Nick Trost").

Regards

Thomas

PS: Harry, thanks for the reference to the Meir Yedid method; I was familiar with both Cervon's version using faro shuffles but I will check the handling in BoF.

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » July 9th, 2010, 11:15 am

Paul Cummins, in his write-up for his effect Punken Droker (itself a very fine handling), put together a very nice bibilographical list of topsy-turvy (or "drunk") poker deals that includes pretty much everything mentioned here and a handful of others. Worth exploring.

The write-up I'm talking about appeared in Steve Youell's Cogitations and a couple of online forums, if I recall correctly. Or you might email Paul.

-T

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 9th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Thomas Van Aken wrote:Hello,

Nick Trost also published a version using the slop shuffle mechanic (see "The Cardmagic of Nick Trost").

Actually, Trost's trick uses the Tenkai optical revolve which he was pretty fond of. It's a good trick.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Return to “Close-Up Magic”