On Coin Shells

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tom Bennett

On Coin Shells

Postby Tom Bennett » September 21st, 2009, 7:25 am

Hi,
I want to buy a Shell for Peace Silver Dollars, I have some fundamental questions:

• What are die Advantages/Disadvantages of a Expanded Shell vs. Milled Down Shells?
  • Do milled down shells cover the coin completely? How does this work? Or are the matching coins reduced in thickness?
  • Schoolcraft offer the new Dean Dill Shell Set. What sort of shell is this and what are the difrerences?
  • Does a expanded shell alone make any sense or always go for a good set?

Best
Thanks
Check out my magic blog www.escamoteur.de

Dave Mithaca

Re: On Coin Shells

Postby Dave Mithaca » September 21st, 2009, 1:02 pm

I've got a Dean's Set from Schoolcraft which I believe came with an "unexpanded" shell. The unexpanded shell helps by allowing the face of the coin to look exactly like the regular coins. The shell sits perfectly on any of the coins that came with the set. It doesn't look like a little hat sitting on the coins.

I also have another set of coins which have an expanded shell (don't know who made it) that stands out a bit from the regular coins. I use this set to practice with sometimes.

If you're doing work on a table which should withstand the scrutiny of people watching from up close, then I'd go with a Dean's Set. I've been working for years with a regular expanded shell and some coins for a Roth-type coins across with success. The coins aren't side by side for comparison during my routine for more than a moment or two, so I'm not worried about anybody noticing the slight discrepancy in appearance. But when I work on a table for routines such as Matrix then I take out the Dean's Set. Hope this helps.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 21st, 2009, 3:23 pm

I just had Jammie Schoolcraft make me an expanded shell with my coins. Turned out great and you can not tell it from the other coins. Get the expanded set with the coins or give him your coins to make a set.

Tom Bennett

Postby Tom Bennett » September 21st, 2009, 3:30 pm

So what are the pros and cons of expanded or milled?

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » September 22nd, 2009, 12:46 am

Expanded shells are (somewhat) more practical since they can fit over any normal coin. So if you have an expanded liberty half, you can use it with any liberty half.

Milled shells look better because the coin is not distorted (i.e. expanded). The limitation is that they only work with coins that have been milled down to fit.

It's hard to say if the distortion present in all expanded shells is noticeable by normal people.

Tom Bennett

Postby Tom Bennett » September 22nd, 2009, 1:54 am

I was also told, that Milled shells fit better, as all of the coins of the set are made to exactly the same size.

I think I will get a Tango or Johnson set for starting practicing and get a feel for shells. As soon as I feel comfortable with them I will go for a Dean's Set from Schoolcraft.

Best
Tom

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » September 22nd, 2009, 10:42 pm

Go with the Johnson shells. The price is right and the product & service is great. I have bought many products from Johnson's and have never had any regrets. I have no reason to buy another shell coin. The audience is no the wiser, trust me. I am no way connected with Johnson Products. They are just a kick butt company.
Lee,

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 23rd, 2009, 8:03 am

Some explorations with inexpensive props can save much time and expense.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Close-Up Magic”