Having trouble with passes...

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Steven M

Having trouble with passes...

Postby Steven M » September 16th, 2009, 9:30 pm

I have the Royal road to card magic ch. 4 dvd since my mom threw all of my magic props and books away, thats all i have plus a pack of cards. i was watching the dvd and trying to do the basic pass. the problem i was having was that i cant get my left ring finger to flip the top half of the deck of the bottom pack any suggestions?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Having trouble with passes...

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 16th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Buy my DVD "On the Pass."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steven M

Postby Steven M » September 17th, 2009, 12:37 am

is a different technique then in the royal road? i dont know if its the size of my hands or what but i keep trying and simply cant do it

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 17th, 2009, 5:15 am

Steven M wrote:is a different technique then in the royal road? i dont know if its the size of my hands or what but i keep trying and simply cant do it

Steven,

Mr K's DVD is the finest way to learn a variety of different methods for doing the pass.

There is no better way to learn, aside from personal tuition.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 17th, 2009, 9:58 am

The description in Tarbell 1, by Ralph Read, is better than Royal Road. You really need to see it, though.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » September 17th, 2009, 9:59 am

My pass is a personalized approach learned from reading as many sources as I could, especially Expert Card Technique, Kaufman's DVD, and Steve Draun's work on the pass in Kaufman's book. Unlike many other sleights, in the end a pass is what makes sense to your own hands.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » September 17th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Having attended the Jason England lecture last night at the Magic Apple in LA he had two tips: 1) Do it 10,000 times once you have done it that many times you should know more about it than most people, in other words don't expect to get it after an hour of trying and 2) Hand strength can make a big difference in doing the pass, he suggested getting some of those had grips and working on strength. I am still working on my pass, but having just recieved this advice I thought I would share it here.
Peace, Joe

spike

Postby spike » September 17th, 2009, 1:19 pm

10,000 times isn't nearly enough. I did it more than 100,000 times over a year's time before it became really workable, meaning that it consistently fooled laymen. Videos, including Richard's, helped me more than anything I read. Beats me why it needs so much effort. It's actually a very simple movement.

Another suggestion: Besides looking at it in the mirror, videotape your pass from several different angles (I use a webcam for this) to see how deceptive it is. I now do this with any sleight I'm working on.

Finally, you can do a great pass even with tiny hands. Don't let that discourage you.
Spike

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » September 17th, 2009, 1:51 pm

Although it's not a "classic" pass, the Bruce Cervon, Free-Turn-Pass is an option. It probably takes no less work than a classic pass.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 17th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Watch out for repeating faulty technique until it becomes an unbreakable habit.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Steven M

Postby Steven M » September 17th, 2009, 4:27 pm

thank you guys for all your input i keep practicing it but its like i feel like im doing it wrong rather than just not being good at it. i hope you know what i mean cause when i try things i obviously wont master it right away or get it really fast but feel like im doin it wrong is a completely different feeling. def will try out those ideas thanks

spike

Postby spike » September 17th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Practice it very slow to be sure that the mechanics are correct. You will speed up naturally with time. Strive for smoothness, not speed.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 17th, 2009, 5:04 pm

StevenM:

I respect your desire to learn the classic pass, as there are some things that are just not possible without it.

However, I would also suggest asking yourself why specifically you wish to master it--is there a particular effect you wish to use it in? If so, then you will also need to give thought to the choreography and misdirection you are going to surround the move with.

Framing the move will be a big give away to an audience even if your pass is technically perfect, so please don't neglect the context of the move.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 17th, 2009, 7:15 pm

erdnasephile wrote:StevenM:

I respect your desire to learn the classic pass, as there are some things that are just not possible without it.

What would those things be?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 17th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Controlling a card to the top of the deck with no movements--it's the perfect card control.

There are tricks, such as Derek Dingle's "Regal Royal Flush," that cannot be done without the Pass.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 17th, 2009, 8:07 pm

I concur with Richard's examples.

I believe that methods affects effect--therefore, trying to do some of the visual routines of folks such as Latta (e.g., Deadlier, Point Blank, etc.) with pass substitutes would likely not have the same impact as the originals.

Some of the best magicians in the world absolutely do great, impressive, amazing magic without the pass (and perfect technique and construction is certainly preferable to a sloppy, unmisdirected, overused pass).

Nevertheless, I honestly believe that the classic pass (and it's variants) remain rather useful tools in modern card magic.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 17th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Sorry--the above post should read: "method affects effect" (That accursed limited editing time! --bad for those of us with grammar issues :) )

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » September 18th, 2009, 1:19 am

"The Two Handed Pass" by Charlie Miller - Magicana - Genii, March, 1971.

Charlie liked Charles Bertram's method as described in The Modern Conjuror by C. Lang Neil.

PhilG

Postby PhilG » September 18th, 2009, 4:50 pm

I had trouble with the pass for years. The problem was bad habits. You have to start out learning to do it right or else the repetition of practice reinforces those habits. Get a good source, RR is pretty good, but you may need more or have it explained in a different way. The mentioned DVD is also excellent. When you have that understanding under your belt you can get the most from your practice. I also agree that 10,000 is not nearly enough.

I remember doing passes a thousand times a day for years, not every day of course. I also agree that it is indispensable.

Good luck, I hope some day people ask you for advice on how they can have a wonderful pass like yours.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”