Ricky Smith Rip Off?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tom Gagnon

Ricky Smith Rip Off?

Postby Tom Gagnon » August 16th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I find it deeply painful for having to post the following. Unfortunately, Ricky Smith has left me with no other option. It was either postor let Ricky Smith pilfer the credit for one of my most noted creationsthe Gagnon Spread Control.

Lets start with the provenance of the Gagnon Spread Control (which Ricky Smith has renamed the Ricky Smith Spread Control. Hellhe even lifted my title. In the mid-eighties, I created a sleight called the Versatile Spread Control that permits one to control the placement of the bottom card or cards under a ribbon spread to effectively any position the performer may require.

The VSC was inspired by Ed Marlos Spread Hideout Concept, as embodied in Miracle Spread (Ibidem #20, 1960) and by Larry Jennings Synchronicity. By the late-eighties the VSC had evolve into what is known as the Gagnon Spread Control. To methe progression was natural. I then turned my attention to variants of the GSC, whereby one could control a card or cards to the top of the deck. Once againlogic dictated that this was the course that I needed to pursue. Incidentally, the grip used when performing the VSC is identical to the grip used when executing the Gagnon Spread Controlexcept with the latter the card comes from within the deck. I Digress.

In October of 1987 I taught both techniques (the VSC and the GSC), as well as their variants, to Harvey Rosenthal, who was my house guest at the time. Nowlets take a look at to the public record. In 1996, I did a workshop at Danny Blocks Close-up Convention in Buffalo, N.Y. During the course of the workshop, I not only explained the Versatile Spread Control and the Gagnon Spread ControlI tipped on how to get a selected card to the top of the deck while forming a ribbon spread. And yes, I sold the Gagnon Spread Control as separate, copyrighted manuscript at the workshop.

Since its inception, I have taught and sold the Gagnon Spread Control at some fifty conventions. Over the years, I have taught and tipped several hundred individuals, including card experts such as Randy Wakeman, Wesley James, Mike Close, Paul Cummins, Simon Lovell, Harry Riser, Chris Kenner, Shoot Ogawa, J. C. Wagner, Bill Goodwin, Bill Malone, Ron Bauer, John Luka, Bruce Cervon, Juan Tamariz, Lennart Green, Harvey Rosenthal, Howard Schwarzman, Gary Plants, Allen Ackerman, Jon Racherbaumer, Danny Block, Paul Gertner, Steve Dobson, Gazzo, Herb Zarrow, Shawn Farquhar, Pat Page, Don England, Jim Lewis, Phil Goldstein, R. Paul Wilson, David Solomon, Sal Piacente, Simon Aronson, Roberto Giobbi, Jack Carpenter, as well as a host of others. Oh yesand Ricky Smith. So Ricky was well aware of my materialI perform it everywhere. Additionally, over a span of ten years, ( while seeking a writer), I mailed videotapes of my material to Mike Close, Paul Cummins, Jon Racherbaumer, Harry Lorayne, and Wesley James.

Nowlets get back to the provenance of the Gagnon Spread Control. In 1998, I decided to release some of my spread controls, so I submitted my Versatile Spread Control to Steve Beam for publication in his fine magazine The Trap Door (ref. issue 67, 1998). Several months later I marketed a new, full color, manuscript describing the Gagnon Spread Control. And yes, once again the manuscript contained a copyright notice of 1998. It should also be noted that I performed and taught the Gagnon Spread Control, as well as its variants, while attending the 1999 FFFF. This was the year that I was awarded the MVP.

Soas you can seeI have well established the concept of stripping cards from a deck as a ribbon spread is being formed. Its part of the public record. Its solely my intellectual propertynot Ricky Smiths.

Nowlets take a close look at how Ricky Smith ended up laying claim to the Gagnon Spread Control. Several years ago, while attending Danny Blocks Close-up Convention, I was approached by Ricky Smith. Ricky asked me if I had ever controlled a selected card to the top of the deck using the Gagnon Spread Control. Judging by Rickys questionits clear to me that he was well aware of the provenance of the sleight. At that juncture, I informed Ricky that I had developed multiple methods for getting cards to the top, and that several were scheduled to appear in my upcoming book Too Hot for the Devil. I also informed Ricky that the book was currently being written by Wesley James and edited by Matt Field, and that both were familiar with several of my techniques. At that juncture, Ricky proceeded to demonstrate what he considered to be an original technique (the one that he marketed), for getting a selection to the top via a ribbon spread. I informed Ricky that, while I have several techniques that involve pinning the card to the table upon extraction and then sliding the card on top of the deckthat my preference is to use non-palming methods. Its simply much cleaner.

I went on to explained to Ricky that one method scheduled for the book involved stripping a card or cards from the deck as the ribbon spread is being formedand that the stripped out cards are released on top of the spread, and the spread gather between the hands. In that method, since the selected card is already on top of the spread before the spread is completed, the hands are displayed palm up. This makes for a cleaner, superior method, than having to resort to a palming. At that juncture I assumed that Ricky had gotten the messagekeep your paws off my control until I release my techniques. Boy was I wrong!

Last week I received a phone call from a friend and card expert who informed me that Ricky Smith had knocked off the Gagnon Spread Control and that it was available as an instant download on the Dan & Dave website. When I checked the websitethere it wasthe Ricky Smith Spread Control. Bear in mind, that at no time did Ricky Smith or anyone else have the common courtesy or respect to consult me on this matterknowing full well that I have a new book coming out that covers the sleight. Ill tell you whybecause I they knew that I would have told him NO. Thats why! Boy, you talk about lack of respect for ones peers.
Well, I immediately contacted Ricky and demanded that he remove the instant download and to correct the credit. I also refreshed his memory concerning our prior conversation regarding controlling cards to the top of the deck via a ribbon spread.

Ricky apologized, and stated that he must have misunderstood our original conversation, and that he would get the download removed. Ricky also stated that he would post an apology and the proper credit. Once again I thought that the issue was resolved.

For those who have Rickys video clipRicky states that he created his so-called control around 2001. Wellthat only makes Ricky more than a decade late. I also find it incongruous that Ricky mentions my name during the introduction of his downloadyet fails to give me any credit for the move. Following my conversation with Ricky I thought that issue had been put to rest. And once again I was wrong!

I then received a phone call from Dan Buck. After discussing the issue, Dan relented and stated that he would remove the Ricky Smith Spread Control download. Sure enoughwhen I checked the site it was goneat leastso I thought.

Several days later, while searching the Buck website, I again located the Ricky Smith Spread Control as a downloadit had been simply move to another location within the website where it was hidden from view. I then preceded to Google the Ricky Smith Spread Control where I located an active link. Following the link, I ended up right back at the Dan and Dave website where I foundyou got itthe Ricky Smith Spread Control. Again I called Ricky Smith. Ricky told me that he thought that his download had been removed and that he would see to that it was deleted. To their creditthe download was immediately deleted.

Its now been over a week since this incident occurred. To my knowledge, Ricky Smith, nor anyone else, has made an attempt to completely rectify this situation. Although Ricky was apologetic on the phone, he has yet to post an apology or correct the credit as promised.

The concept of stripping cards from a deck of cards as a ribbon spread is formed (whether they are controlled to the top or to the bottom of the deck) is my intellectual property. Its part of the public record. And yesI feel that I was wronged.

Bob Farmer

Re: Ricky Smith Rip Off?

Postby Bob Farmer » August 16th, 2009, 6:15 pm

I don't know Ricky Smith, I do know Tom Gagnon. He's a stand-up guy and an amazing inventor with a long history of coming up with great material. I remember Tom showing me this many years ago, I believe at FFFF.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 16th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Perhaps this public posting is relevant?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Tom, it certainly looks like he has apologized in that Forum on Dan and Dave's website. You'll find it if you click on the link Chris posted.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

diagonalpalmshift

Postby diagonalpalmshift » August 17th, 2009, 12:37 am

Hello,

I certainly am sorry for this; I had no intention of causing Mr. Gagnon any grief or worry. He worked out his handlings many years before I even thought about the possibility. When I started to inquire about originality, his name came up immediately. I studied his published work and have seen him demonstrate many amazing things.

We talked about the move on several occasions over the years, and I had the impression that what I was doing was different, so I did not think when I let the Twins have it as a download. He certainly predates me in this area and all credit should go to him.

Regardless, I'm sorry that he had to go through this, and I hope I have not caused too much trouble.

Sincerely,

Ricky Smith

Tom Gagnon

Postby Tom Gagnon » August 17th, 2009, 10:01 am

I welcome and accept Ricky Smith's heartfelt apology. That's all I expected. I now consider this matter to be closed.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”