card to pocket

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
El Mystico

card to pocket

Postby El Mystico » May 11th, 2009, 12:44 pm

OK; I'm losing it here.
I have a memory of seeing something ascribed to Vernon, where a card is apparently pulled from the inside jacket pocket, whereas actually the pack, held in the right hand, has done the kelly/Ovette move with the bottom card while holding open the jacket and the left hand is pulling out this card.
It struck me when I read it that this was Marlo's.
But now, not only can i not find the similar Marlo item, I can't find the Vernon item.
Any of you chaps with better memories and filing systems than me able to help me out?

Jonathan Townsend

Re: card to pocket

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 11th, 2009, 1:05 pm

There's something very similar used by Dingle and Kurtz taught in their books.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » May 11th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Isn't this also described on Drawing Room Deceptions? Not sure if it is Guy's, but I do remember a drawing in there.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 11th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I showed this to Roy one day - I was chuffed to bits with having worked it out.

'Yes, Marlo' was all he said, but that was good enough for me.

Guy uses it in a routine on his second video (I forget the name). There is a similar idea in Close up Connivery 2 as well (using the lateral palm).

Take care, ian

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » May 25th, 2009, 3:52 am

Sorry to take so long to say - Thank you guys.
The Kurtz reference was just what I needed; it told me what i was looking for; that the Marlo reference, using the whole deck, is in Amazing Isn't It, and Vernon's, which doesn't need the deck, is in Further inner Secrets. and, more, it gave me Kurtz's brilliant handling. There is also an interesting handling in Card Finesse, should anyone else be interested.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » May 25th, 2009, 8:10 am

You can read the story in Marlo's Magazine, Vol. 6, page 37 under The Empty Hand.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » June 3rd, 2009, 6:45 pm

This Ovette method is credited to Tommy Dowd in JG Thompson's Living End (1972)..........a nice little book of ways to reveal a selected card.

Jeff Semel showed me a variation that fooled me several times in a row.....the card is not controlled....it is merely pushed through the pack at an angle so it projects from the side/rear, where it is hidden by the back of the hand holding the pack from above........the card is fed under the lapel as the other hand pretends to extract it from the pocket, as in the Ovette method. Looks great because there is no control.

I think I saw this recently in an old book, but can't recall........maybe credited to Arthur Findley?

Darryl Harris
Favorite Magician: I admire the best!

Postby Darryl Harris » June 3rd, 2009, 7:29 pm

Thanks for sharing that, John. It went right into the notebook. That is so cool.
Live with honor
Act with integrity
No regrets

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 4th, 2009, 2:36 am

There is something very similar in Card Finesse credited to Marlo. From what I know of john, though, he wouldn't class Card Finesse as an 'old' book!

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » June 4th, 2009, 8:50 am

Card Finesse, pp. 158 titled 'Next to Impossible Card to Wallet'.
Said to be a variation of Marlo's 'No Palm Aces To Pocket" from 'Amazing, Isn't IT? (1941) and was worked out by Danny Korem, who kept it sub rosa.

The beauty is that the left hand holds the deck, while the right hand, seemingly well above the deck, retrieves the wallet. The left hand rests on the lapel slightly above waist level while the right hand dips into the inner jacket pocket to get the wallet.

Hope that helps!

My first edition copy is dated 1982, pre DVD! Hell, VHS was pretty rare then!
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 4th, 2009, 2:07 pm

For a while I played with a variation of this to produce a card from my right rear pocket. The idea was that I would have the card on top of the deck, injogged, in my left hand. This was hanging at my side. The right hand would push back my sport jacket and reach to my back pocket, but secretly the right hand would go through the vent in the back of the jacket and grab the card from the deck. The coat provided cover for the right hand.

I dropped this, since the only time I ever wear a sportcoat is when I go to the Castle. But I thought a few people might have fun playing around with it.

John Carney

Postby John Carney » June 4th, 2009, 8:50 pm

the old book, might be Buckley's Card Control or Principles and Deceptions......I don't have it handy, so I can't check

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » June 4th, 2009, 10:59 pm

For those interested check out Larry Jennings effect in 67 titled "Search and Stop" page 105 of Jennings 67. Very interesting read on LJ's handling. Take care ya all.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”