NEW COIN MAGIC SUGGESTIONS

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
darticus

NEW COIN MAGIC SUGGESTIONS

Postby darticus » May 2nd, 2009, 6:02 pm

Is there anything new in coin magic thats really cool that I should consider buying and giving a try. I really don't know whats new and considered a killer coin trick. Thanks for suggestions Ron

mrgoat

Re: NEW COIN MAGIC SUGGESTIONS

Postby mrgoat » May 2nd, 2009, 7:24 pm

Yeah, there's that new one where a coin vanishes from somewhere and reappears somewhere else. It's way cool.

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » May 2nd, 2009, 10:19 pm

Okay, this is very new so there are not a lot of reviews out there yet, but Brian Platt, who is primarily a coin guy, has started a new store and line of products. The first, "Blackout," is on the site and the few reports on the Cafe are positive. It's a coin vanish using a BA principle and it comes with a DVD with a lot of different routines. Check out the demo on the site.

I have Platt's previous release, "Catapult," and it's really good, so I'm expecting this to be too.

http://www.plattmagic.com/

Terry

Postby Terry » May 3rd, 2009, 9:42 am

mrgoat wrote:Yeah, there's that new one where a coin vanishes from somewhere and reappears somewhere else. It's way cool.

Did you hear about the guy from New York who actually makes that happen using 4 coins and cards?

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » May 3rd, 2009, 2:31 pm

mrgoat wrote:Yeah, there's that new one where a coin vanishes from somewhere and reappears somewhere else. It's way cool.

Can't tell how facetious this is, but it echoes comments made by Jon Armstrong on the current Magic Newswire interview. He basically says that he's not so interested in coin magic due to the paucity of its plots. He says just what you said -- so much coin magic is about the coin traveling invisibly from one spot to another. I'm not a coin guy -- although I appreciate watching the skill and artistry of those who do it very well -- and I've always felt similarly.

Efendi Kwok

Postby Efendi Kwok » May 3rd, 2009, 10:31 pm

Scott M. wrote:... and I've always felt similarly.

Unless you see something like this or maybe this ;)
Too much browsing, too much reading, too much learning, yet NOT MUCH practice ! *sigh*

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 4th, 2009, 1:11 am

While its certainly true there are more card tricks in print than coin tricks unless youre planning on doing three or four dozen effects for an audience it shouldnt limit you too badly.

I would recommend visiting www.lulu.com and searching on the phrase:
coin magic that doesn't suck

Youll find a something called The Pocketbook coin gaffes and common cents by Curtis Kam. In it Curtis responds to the belief that there are only a few coin plots by listing fifty two effects. It doesnt contain tricks, but is a comprehensive study guide for the student of coin magic.

If youre interested in tricks, Kaufmans COINMAGIC is probably the best collection of material in print.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 4th, 2009, 8:27 am

Good morning. I too hope that comment was facetious. One could just as well describe much of card conjuring as eye-rolling contrivances to turn cards over while switching them after holding the audience to recall one of the familiars and leaving them to await the end of the ordeal when the performer turns up that one of the many.
While some have made coin magic into a numismatists numbing narrative, others have managed to keep their works to use of coin of the realm, and found ways to press a pleasing product from what others have called sour grapes.
Lets leave off any criticism of those who proudly invite audiences to admire their balls of which they have three to display, their wives having knit them little sweaters to keep them warm now that they are carried loose in the performer's pants pocket. Deep into their cups indeed, no?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 4th, 2009, 8:54 am

To answer the original question, Eric Jones did some beautiful magic at the recent World Magic Seminar, with both coins and cards. Of his coin work, "Mirage et Trois" certainly qualifies as "new and really cool." Its ad reads "Structurally, it's a perfect routine with three phases: 1) three coins come out from nowhere; 2) three coins move from one hand to the other, one at a time; and the three coins vanish, one by one." While this may sound familiar to much that has gone before, the methods were clever and the results most surprising. I watched Eric delight and fool many, including Jeff McBride.
Last edited by Steve Bryant on May 4th, 2009, 8:55 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: spelling

Raj Madhok

Postby Raj Madhok » May 4th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Eric Jones also got great reviews from the FFFF crowd with his innovative coin work last weekend. Smooth, stunning magic and a heck of a nice guy as well!

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » May 15th, 2009, 12:55 am

You might want to check out www.newyorkcoinmagic.net . Our group has produced 10 DVD's on coin magic, called the New York Coin Magic Seminar, starring David Roth, Dr. Michael Rubinstein, Mike Gallo, and the late Geoff Latta (on the first 4 volumes). Vol. 1 is a 2 disc set on the plot coins acorss. Vol. 2,3, and 4 discuss copper silver effects. Vol. 5,6, and 7 involve routines with productions, vanishes, and penetrations. Vol. 8,9, and 10 have MORE of everything! Over 26 hours of coin magic on these 10 volumes, with new tricks, old classics, new moves, unpublished material, lessons, techniques, discussions, performances, special guests such as Kainoa Harbottle, Giacomo Bertini, Al Schneider, Scotty York, Victor Trabucco, Dan Watkins, Marc DeSouza, Eric Jones, and Bill Citino! The website also offers the latest in coin magic effects from Roth, Rubinstein, and Gallo.

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » May 15th, 2009, 8:31 am

Well, nobody else has commented on it, so I would like to say that I clicked on Mr. Kwok's two links and was rewarded with some of the most beautiful coin magic I have ever witnessed.

Read the comments under the first video. One poster thinks it was camera trickery. The quality of the work truly makes you believe that it couldn't be done by skill alone.

As far as the supposed paucity of plots. Who cares? Why is coin magic being compared to card magic? There are dozens of plots as Mr. Kam has pointed out and millions of variations of said effects. Enough to keep someone busy for a lifetime.

I love both types of magic, although I admit that I reach for the pack of cards more than the coin purse these days. When I do a show I always do at least three effects with coins as well as matrix, blending my two favorite genres.

Three of the most indelible moments in magic for me were sitting just a few feet from Goshman when he put the giant coin under the salt shaker, watching Chris Kenner do the cylinder and coins one-on-one and David Roth teaching the retention vanish at a lecture. I could have just sat there and watched him vanish that one coin 20 times. Talk about real magic.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » May 15th, 2009, 9:41 am

can i sugest that you invest in some of the coin items being produced by Craig Petty at the moment.

his Mirage coin set dvd, comes with all the coin gaffs you could ever want, and has some absolutly superb routines on the dvd.
his " split happens" dvd, also has some fantastic, and innovative moves with the split, or clone coin.
and his two coin bag dvds, attack of the bag, and return of the bag, breathes new life into a long over looked item.( two of which come free with the first dvd, atack of the bag)

all these d.v.ds should be available from your favorite dealer.

Terry

Postby Terry » May 16th, 2009, 10:22 am

Mike Rubinstein wrote:You might want to check out www.newyorkcoinmagic.net . Our group has produced 10 DVD's on coin magic, called the New York Coin Magic Seminar, starring David Roth, Dr. Michael Rubinstein, Mike Gallo, and the late Geoff Latta (on the first 4 volumes). Vol. 1 is a 2 disc set on the plot coins acorss. Vol. 2,3, and 4 discuss copper silver effects. Vol. 5,6, and 7 involve routines with productions, vanishes, and penetrations. Vol. 8,9, and 10 have MORE of everything! Over 26 hours of coin magic on these 10 volumes, with new tricks, old classics, new moves, unpublished material, lessons, techniques, discussions, performances, special guests such as Kainoa Harbottle, Giacomo Bertini, Al Schneider, Scotty York, Victor Trabucco, Dan Watkins, Marc DeSouza, Eric Jones, and Bill Citino! The website also offers the latest in coin magic effects from Roth, Rubinstein, and Gallo.

Mike,

I picked up Vol 8-10 and, no offense, the first thing I went to was Geoff Latta's effect. It blew my wife's mind.

Thanks for including this footage.

All the best.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » July 8th, 2009, 11:54 am

Efendi,
Thanks for posting those two links. That was pure delight to watch. Anyone interested in magic, whether a card guy, stage, mentalism, whatever, should appreciate that kind of artistry. Pure magic!

Roberto

Mr. Alexander

Postby Mr. Alexander » September 2nd, 2009, 8:33 pm

Sorry but good old fashion Copper Silver, you can't go wrong!

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » September 3rd, 2009, 9:58 am

For me, good old fashioned Copper-Silver-Brass is the best coin magic. It's not so challenging for those interested in coin manipulation, but it packs a big punch. I think the basic plots are still the best: give me a good straight forward Gadabout Coin presentation and I'm happy.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”