Vernon's Pass / Ultimate Secrets

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Rick Franceschin

Vernon's Pass / Ultimate Secrets

Postby Rick Franceschin » February 3rd, 2009, 9:58 pm

I'm trying to learn Vernon's handling of the classic pass in Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic. I'm having some trouble interpreting the description which seems terse and perhaps a bit omissive. Here's the problem: "the lower packet is immediately shifted foward by pushing with the right thumb tip, until the little finger is at the inner end of the lower packet." How do you do this with the right thumb being where it is? If the upper packet rest on the right thumb, the right hand looks awkward. My assumption is that the thumb doesn't move out of the way, or readjust itself, as the photos give the impression that the right thumb remains rear and center. My guess is that the right thumb not only moves the lower packet foward, but the whole hand needs to cant in a slightly clockwise direction; this means that the top packet gets angled, rather than back jogged. Is that it? If this is the case then, is there a dipping action in execution to hide the pulling of the upper packet over? A downward pressure of the upper packet, by the right hand, is described. Is this something like Vernon's creeping reverse? The teaser on the description leads me to believe that this pass is supposed to have good angles, I'm having a hard time realizing this thing. Can anyone help?

seanmacfarlane

Re: Vernon's Pass / Ultimate Secrets

Postby seanmacfarlane » February 4th, 2009, 12:14 am

I have never understood that description of his pass as well. I would love to hear if anyone has had success with it.

Sean

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » February 4th, 2009, 10:09 am

Keep in mind that Vernon says to execute the pass the moment the two hands come together. Shifting the packet forward should happen when the top packet has already started its movement, and as such is out of the way of the right thumb.

Also, check out Roberto Giobbi's description in Card College, Volume 2, which incorporates this concept. He suggests rotating the packet slightly to get the clearance.

In checking how I do it, there is a slight rotation of the upper packet, so I'm more in line with what Giobbi describes.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Rick Franceschin

Postby Rick Franceschin » February 4th, 2009, 12:09 pm

That's good! That works quite well. The top packet is snaking just the tinniest bit as it makes it's way back and over. I feel less inclined to dip the hands. Thank you Jim.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”