Gemini Twins

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
ulrira

Gemini Twins

Postby ulrira » November 10th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Hello everyone,

Have a brief question regarding the Gemini Twins routine as described in Brother John's book (searched the forum before I posted but didn't come across anyone who had asked this particular question before - apologies if that's not the case).

Chasing authenticity I decided to try and perform it exactly as described (no holding of breaks, final two cards dealt differently and at a faster rhythm and the rest). As you might guess, I'm coming unstuck at the first show of final count; the double deal.

After a week or so of dedicated practice I don't seem to have progressed any in trying to reliably push the bottom card to the right with my left second finger. The best I can manage is to shove the bottom two cards as a block, and that's only after exerting what I'm sure is far too much downward pressure with my left thumb at the outer edge of the packet.

Can anyone offer any tips? Does / has anyone performed it this way?

Any / all advice very gratefully received,

Andrew

Scott Fridinger

Re: Gemini Twins

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 10th, 2008, 1:49 pm

I can undertand where you are having issues with the Hammon handling of this routine, particularly at the end. I have been doing this effect for years, but the handling I use is from Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles, one of the 1st the volumes, can't remember specifically right now. The handling has some alterations and motivations to aleviate this specific issue. I would recommend checking it out.

Darryl Harris
Favorite Magician: I admire the best!

Postby Darryl Harris » November 10th, 2008, 2:31 pm

I have always used the left second finger to slightly buckle the bottom card card of the packet, to disengage it, prior to pushing it out to align with the top card. At that point, a very light touch is all that is required.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Darryl Harris on November 10th, 2008, 3:25 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Punctuation
Live with honor
Act with integrity
No regrets

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2008, 2:31 pm

If you hold the packet very lightly in your hand, you should have no trouble in pushing the bottom card to the right. You can also lightly rest the tip of your right thumb on the center of the packet's right long side--the bulk of the flesh above the cards, and only a bit below to act as a guage.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 10th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Another vote for the handling on ETMCM. The touch,by Lewis Falanga if memory servers,eliminates the need for the double deal without weakening the effect at all. It's a simple and open displacement which illustrates the dust up when the wives come back from the power room.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2008, 11:38 pm

It's hard to improve a handling of Brother Hamman's, so I vote for the original. Just because you're having trouble learning doesn't mean that you shouldn't stay on track.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

ulrira

Postby ulrira » November 11th, 2008, 4:37 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Just because you're having trouble learning doesn't mean that you shouldn't stay on track.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. It's not a far reach to 'method vs effect'. I'm aware of what's taught on ETMCM (though not that it originated with Falanga) and will admit that it's been niggling at me whilst persevering with the double deal. It's not just that it's easier, but that it slots well into the story.

However, rattling along on the way to work this morning I kept everyone's advice in mind (a lighter touch, experimenting with the right thumb, buckling the bottom card) and found I was able to move the bottom card independently. Seeing it fall in line with the top card the first time put a big grin on my face (to the bemusement of my fellow commuters, no doubt).

It's a start. :)

Thanks to everyone for their insight.

Andrew

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 11th, 2008, 9:48 pm

I think it was Dr. Daley who said if you can replace a move with a subtlety you'll improve the trick. He was never more correct than in the case of The Twins.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”