close-up in Las Vegas

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tom Cauble

close-up in Las Vegas

Postby Tom Cauble » July 1st, 2008, 8:38 am

I am visiting Las Vegas this week...
Is there any place to go to see close-up/walkaround magic?
What magic shops or magic-related shops are worth visiting?
Thanks!

Tom

Rennie

Re: close-up in Las Vegas

Postby Rennie » July 1st, 2008, 8:51 am

Tom,
A "must see" in Las Vegas is a magic shop (off the beaten path) and I cannot think of the name, but hopefully a cafe member will tell you. Anyway it is owned by Earl Chaney, who by the way is the son of Lon Chaney Jr. It is located on Industrial Way and is the type of shop most of us like, items in nooks and crannies everywhere, and if he knows you are a magician he will take you on tour of his "backroom", plus tell you some interesting stories.
Rennie
P.S. The name of it is on the tip of my tongue, if I remember it, I will come back.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Mark Williams

Postby Mark Williams » July 1st, 2008, 9:10 am

[quote="Rennie"]Tom,
A "must see" in Las Vegas is a magic shop (off the beaten path) and I cannot think of the name, but hopefully a cafe member will tell you. Anyway it is owned by Earl Chaney, who by the way is the son of Lon Chaney Jr. It is located on Industrial Way and is the type of shop most of us like, items in nooks and crannies everywhere, and if he knows you are a magician he will take you on tour of his "backroom", plus tell you some interesting stories. P.S. The name of it is on the tip of my tongue, if I remember it, I will come back.
Rennie[/qoute]

Rennie, You are thinking of Planet Mirth. Unfortunately, it is no longer in business. Denny & Lee's is in the same parking lot...so, that's the store you want to visit. Also, Industrial has been renamed Dean Martin Drive...Vegas is always evolving and the powers to be, love to make changes.
Once is Magic...Twice is an Education.

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » July 1st, 2008, 9:56 am

Lon Chaney, Jr had two sons born in 1928 and 1930. Neither of them was Earl and both are deceased.

Do try Denny & Lee's. I was there in April. It's a nice shop.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Rennie

Postby Rennie » July 1st, 2008, 12:17 pm

Mark,
you are correct. Shop is closed ?, oh well it has been years. Thanks for answering anyway.

Ray,
Earl is a relative of Lon Chaney, that I know, it's possible he was Lon Chaney Jr's grandson. Trust me he was related.Someone will come up with the relationship.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » July 1st, 2008, 3:49 pm

I don't doubt that in the least. I think there is some relationship.

Should have just asked him the last time we visited.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

ScottPeterson

Postby ScottPeterson » July 2nd, 2008, 12:20 pm

Denny and Lees has all the stuff for the serious members of our community, manager Tom is cool and helpful, good quality stock, books, DVD's and nice selection available. Nothing fancy, just a good solid store the kind we all like.

Scott Peterson

Pepka

Postby Pepka » August 1st, 2008, 4:36 am

Denny's Vegas shop is great. COMPLETE with a bookshelf hiding a secret door. Now who doesn't love that in a magic shop!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”