Please stop cutting the Pillars of Thor string with a card!

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Please stop cutting the Pillars of Thor string with a card!

Postby I.M. Magician » April 23rd, 2015, 12:14 pm

I lost count of how many times I have seen demos of the Tenyo Pillars of Thor where they cut the string/cord with a credit card or playing card. You can't cut the string/cord with a card! You would need a knife or similar sharp cutting edge to cut it.

It's unrealistic to use a card but so many do it anyway. When performing an effect, it is so important to think it through first. Now let's see, shall I use a card to cut the string/cord? Of course not!

OK, I feel better now. Thank you for allowing me to vent. :D

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Please stop cutting the Pillars of Thor string with a ca

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2015, 2:12 pm

You're wrong, and you'll see read why when the Tenyo book comes out. Of course, you can feel free to use an X-Acto knife when you do it if it makes you feel better.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 23rd, 2015, 6:19 pm

It's not a matter of feeling better. My concern is about doing things that make sense to the spectator.

I just found another demo of Pillars and he used a business card. Is the spectator supposed to believe that the cord was just cut with a business card? I was waiting for one of the spectators to yell out: "That's some strong business card you have there."

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2015, 7:01 pm

"Pillars of Thor" is not the only Tenyo trick that takes a similar jump of logic. But there is a reason for what they do.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 23rd, 2015, 7:35 pm

Ultraslice is another example. Tenyo provides you with a card which has a drawing of a buzz saw.

Someone who does excellent video performances of Tenyo magic on YouTube switched out the fake cigarettes for crayons and the card for a knife. His performance for me is the best I have seen for Ultraslice.

I am looking forward to seeing the material for Pillars of Thor in Tenyoism. It's always nice to learn something new.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 23rd, 2015, 7:39 pm

Interesting point, but with respect, using non-sharp objects to "cut" can work well depending on the specific application.

For example, in "Daryl's Rope Routine", he gets a nice response using his fingers as scissors to "cut" the rope. To me, the important point is that bit is perfectly in character and context within his routine. Therefore, it never feels out of place.

If one had a fitting presentation for Pillars of Thor or Ultraslice, I could see how using a card to "cut" could be effective.
Last edited by erdnasephile on April 23rd, 2015, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 23rd, 2015, 8:12 pm

Daryl's Rope Routine is indeed a routine and, in my opinion, the humorous gesture of using his fingers is appropriate and fitting.

Using the card instead of a blade, in my opinion, is not. That's because it's not a routine but instead, a single effect. It's no more appropriate to use the card than it would be to use a large sheet of paper instead of a saw when performing the stage illusion of Cutting a Women in Half.

The intention is not humor but to cut through something and a suitable tool should be used.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 23rd, 2015, 9:52 pm

just FYI, the finger cut was part of George sands routine, much of which was incorporated by Daryl.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2015, 10:17 pm

That's your opinion, Steve, and you're certainly entitled to it, but if you think that the members of Tenyo's Creative Division haven't already thought all of this stuff through, you're mistaken. All of these things are done on purpose. They are the creator's choices, even if they're not your choices.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 25th, 2015, 12:34 pm

In celebration of this topic, I am offering five lucky Genii Forum members a brand new factory sealed Tenyo Pillars of Thor for the nice price of $15 plus $4 for shipping to addresses in the U.S.. If you promise to use a sharp instrument and not a card to cut the string/cord, I will ship it to you for free! Unfortunately, I cannot offer these to you if you live outside of the U.S. due to the high shipping cost. Sorry.

Tenyo discontinued this effect some time ago but you can get one here!

Payment can be made via PayPal to randlmagicsellers@msn.com or through the mail with a U.S. Post Office Money Order.

Your promise to use a sharp instrument to cut the string/cord can be emailed to me or sent using a PM. If you prefer not to make that promise, I respect that but it will cost you $4.

Steve Snyderman
P.O. Box 18142
Philadelphia, PA 19116
215-552-9216

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » April 25th, 2015, 1:57 pm

If Ricky Jay can slice through a watermelon with a playing card, why shouldn't you be able - due to the ninja-like skills you attained via countless hours of fasting and meditation - to cut through a string with a card?

Or some other presentation, straight or silly, that works for you.

ecw

Postby ecw » April 25th, 2015, 11:30 pm

I am going to take a guess and say that you are not a fan of Tenyo's Bio Shock. In that trick you cut your fingers off with a playing card. :)

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » April 26th, 2015, 12:39 am

Your guess is correct but Tenyo's Bio Shock is not highly rated anyway according to Stereo's site. Actually, I never liked that one but it's not just because of the card. I find it to be hokey.

I am surprised at the reaction I have received in this thread. Doesn't it make sense that if you are telling your audience that you are cutting through something, you should do it in a believable way? You are not slicing through a stick of butter.

Anyway, I am a serious Tenyo fan and have been since the T numbers began. No, I didn't care for T-1 Thimble but the first Tenyo releases I remember liking a lot were Crazy Spots which replaced Spooky Spots, Crystal Tube, Silk Serenade, and What's Next. Those stand out to me from the early days.

By the way, I never assumed that the Tenyo creative team overlooked anything. I am looking forward to reading Tenyoism which I expect to be chock full of insight.

Return to “Tenyo”