Top 5 Tenyo Tricks.

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Brad Henderson

Re: Top 5 Tenyo Tricks.

Postby Brad Henderson » March 7th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Sorry IM, wasn't making a list per se, just exploring the different ways I value Tenyo. Though you wrote Sutakina - which is the Massey trick I think and not the little kitty cat trick (sakkaku scale???).

If I had to pick my 5 desert island tenyo tricks they would be:

Trisector
sakkaku scale
zone infinity
card changer
zig zag cig (that was my first - "mom, can I have some of your cigarettes?")

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » March 7th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Don't be sorry Brad. I was just kidding around.

Oh, the Sakkaku Scale. I was mistaken. That's a great one! In fact, I carry that one around all the time. I am always trying to get my routine just the way I want it. There is a lot of flexibility with it.

Your list here is terrific. I use all but the Card Changer on a regular basis. I have been working the Zig Zag Cig while watching TV to see if it will wear out. It's been a few weeks now and it's still like new.

For me, it's practically impossible to narrow my list down to just five.

J Fox mentioned Balloon Illusion. When I was a kid, I had the cheapo version of that trick. It was from SS Adams or E-Z Magic. Tenyo's version is a zillion times better. No comparison!

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » March 13th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I am bumping this thread to see if anyone else has a Top 5 Tenyo Tricks list.

I said that, at the end of March, I would compile all of the lists to show the selected tricks and how often they appeared.

We should have more than the seven or eight if I am going to compile the results.

Please let us know your top 5 Tenyos. Thanks!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 16th, 2023, 8:59 pm

Pete McCabe wrote:How about the five you'd have if you could only have five.

Crystal Cleaver
Scotty York Ghost Lamp
Mystery Box
Sakkaku Scale
New Koornwinder Kar

(I decided to bump this thread since it was almost 9 years since we polled. I'm wondering if any of the Tenyo offerings from the last 9 years make your list?)

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 16th, 2023, 9:18 pm

Well, I especially like SMART GUILLOTINE, SWORD REWARD, MYSTERY BLADE, 4-D CROSS, MISTER DANGER, and THE FINAL PIECE. I do not know that I would want to remove any on my previous list to include these though. I would just want to increase the size of my list to include at least some of these.

Thanks for reviving this thread erdnasephile. It seems that nobody here on the forum cares to talk about Tenyo magic anymore. :cry:

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2023, 9:35 pm

Considering the last post in this thread, before Erdnasephile, was from before Tenyoism came out, I'm sure some people could list their favorites.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 17th, 2023, 1:56 pm

I don't have a lot of Tenyo, but really love "Mind Sticks". (also called 'Fortune sticks' I think?)

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » February 17th, 2023, 2:59 pm

I havent had a lot either but I liked:

* Zone Infinity
* Eye of the Idol
* Telesphere
* Match Sticks
* Zig Zag Cig

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2023, 3:39 pm

Performed by me most often: Invisible Zone.
Often performed by me: 4D Surprise.
Ditto: Blue Crystal.
Lubor Fiedler times three.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 17th, 2023, 4:27 pm

I use 4d surprise often. It’s the tenyo Example I use when people visit the collection. And I’ve used it for several custom presentations - produce a miniature of ‘the relevant thing’ and then expand ‘the relevant thing’ to full size via appropriate methods

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 17th, 2023, 6:02 pm

I have only ever owned one Tenyo trick, "Flash Dice," but I love it. So much so that after I purchased it and started performing it, I bought 4 more. It takes practice to get the knack of shaking the dice in the box, but once you do, you have a real gem. The box and dice are ungimmicked and completely examinable before and/or after the routine. I have a 4-phase routine which ends by showing that a numerical prediction written on a folded piece of paper sitting in plain view from the beginning, is 100% correct, even though the spectator seems to have control over what the number will be. It's one of those tricks that's not only a lot of fun to do, but even amazes you when you perform it. Does it matter that it is a prop that does not look like an ordinary object? Not at all. People love it.

Here's a couple of performances showing some of the effects you can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PD5E9i2aKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sFydc81AhU

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 17th, 2023, 6:12 pm

You can do Flash Dice without shaking the box.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 17th, 2023, 10:32 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Performed by me most often: Invisible Zone.
Often performed by me: 4D Surprise.
Ditto: Blue Crystal.
Lubor Fiedler times three.

RK: Have you performed the variation of "Invisible Zone" with clay for laypeople? I've always wanted to try it but wondered if it was as effective as just the regular version with the spring.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 18th, 2023, 9:18 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:You can do Flash Dice without shaking the box.

Wow, thanks Richard! I wanted to see if I could figure out how to do that without having to ask, and I believe I have. When the box is revolved 360 degrees (no shaking needed) the "work" is done. I was thinking (yes, it happens every once in a while) that, from a presentational aspect, it could be done in what the late great Roger Klause called "half moves." Turning over the box to show the bottom (maybe even have them rub it at that point), pause, and then rotate it the rest of the way so it is then right side up and ready to take off the lid for the revelation.

Or, perhaps better yet, have them put out their hand and you subtly rotate the box 180 degrees (i.e. turn it upside down) in the act of placing it on their hand. Then have them close their hand into a fist and turn their hand over. You could then slide the box out from their hand and it is ready for the revelation. That would be very magical. These are just a couple possible subtleties/presentational angles out of what I would imagine there would be many. Perhaps it would be good to alternate between shaking in one phase, and rotating in the next to show how "well-trained" they are.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 18th, 2023, 11:42 am

The move was invented by master Tenyo demonstrator Kazumasa Shimizu and appears in Tenyoism.

AJM

Postby AJM » February 18th, 2023, 1:20 pm

I recall Mr Shimizu gave a wonderful demonstration of several Tenyo items at a Genii Convention a number of years ago.

Unfortunately I didn’t get the opportunity to visit him while in Japan in 2016 although I did spend some time with Tenyo demonstrator Billy.

Does Mr Shimizu still work Richard?

Andrew

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » February 18th, 2023, 2:00 pm

Not a Top 5 - I don't own than many, but I'm a big fan of the York Lamp Trick.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 18th, 2023, 2:58 pm

Yes, the Ghost Lamp which is now discontinued is indeed a great one. By the way, I believe that Ghost Lamp was the highest retail price of any Tenyo T number release. It was listed at $76 in the US. I believe RK once said that it sold for much less in Japan. Out of Japan, a bit pricey for whatever reason.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 18th, 2023, 3:31 pm

Yes, Andrew, Mr. Shimizu is still demonstrating. He had moved to the Hakuhinkan Toy Store in the Ginza during the pandemic, but just last week moved back to Haneda airport. He doesn't work every day, though: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10:00am to 5:00pm.

AJM

Postby AJM » February 18th, 2023, 4:04 pm

Thanks Richard - I’ll hopefully get out to see him on our next visit.

Andrew

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 19th, 2023, 11:39 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The move was invented by master Tenyo demonstrator Kazumasa Shimizu and appears in Tenyoism.

Another thing I discovered in playing with the Flash Dice is that after they roll one of the dies (let's say they roll a 5) a good ploy is to place the dice, in seemingly random and haphazard order (e.g. 6, 3, 1, 2, 6, 4), in the the lid, rather than the box. The lid is slightly shallower than the box, but otherwise looks exactly the same, so it is highly unlikely anyone will notice the discrepancy in what you're doing. Then placing the box on the lid (as if the box is the lid), you only need to ask them to hold out their hand and then you give the box a subtle half turn as you bring it over to place it on the their hand. Ask the spectator to concentrate on the number they rolled (in this example, 5), and have them wave their hand over the box. Then ask them to open the box. There, staring them in the face, will be six 5's. I have yet to "field test" this, but it should be astounding.
Last edited by MagicbyAlfred on February 19th, 2023, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 19th, 2023, 11:47 am

The deeper half of the case is the lid. The lid has a rectangular depression on it and the bottom half of the case is hallmarked on the underside.

Do you own the genuine Tenyo product or a copy?

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 19th, 2023, 11:55 am

I.M. Magician wrote:The deeper half of the case is the lid. The lid has a rectangular depression on it and the bottom half of the case is hallmarked on the underside.

Do you own the genuine Tenyo product or a copy?

I'm not sure. It is purportedly a "Tenyo" product and the instructions that came with it are in Japanese, but it doesn't precisely match the description you've given. My point was that I don't believe they are going to notice any funny business, in any event, in the handling I described, or differentiate lid from box, at least with the prop I have. I could be wrong about this, but I will report back after I've had the opportunity to try it on a number of people.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 19th, 2023, 12:20 pm

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 19th, 2023, 12:42 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:Here you go!

https://youtu.be/djjEeBiyn9I

OK, yes. Mine looks exactly like that, so if that's the original, it looks like that's what I have. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying as far as the deeper compartment actually being the lid, so I apologize. But, if I didn't even realize which was which (lid vs. box) in all the years I've had it and have been performing it, now I'm more confident than ever that the idea I had for placing it in the spectator's hand and the resultant effect should work like a charm.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 19th, 2023, 12:50 pm

The original Tenyo demo and the one attached above shows a routine rather than just a trick. That is one of the excellent things about Flash Dice IMO. Rolling a die and all of them becoming the rolled number is part of the routine.

I am thinking that Flash Dice should be in most everyone’s top 5 (or at least top 10) list along with Crystal Cleaver.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 19th, 2023, 12:56 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:The original Tenyo demo and the one attached above shows a routine rather than just a trick. That is one of the excellent things about Flash Dice IMO. Rolling a die and all of them becoming the rolled number is part of the routine.

I am thinking that Flash Dice should be in most everyone’s top 5 (or at least top 10) list along with Crystal Cleaver.

I agree, and that's why I have always done a 4-phase routine, including the prediction, as noted in my original post here. Now, with the effect of the change in the spectator's hand, it will be 5 phases.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 19th, 2023, 2:14 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:Here you go!

https://youtu.be/djjEeBiyn9I

In this demo, the way the prediction effect is performed is not nearly as powerful as it could or should be. It is much better to have a folded prediction introduced at the beginning of the routine and lying in plain view on the table for the whole routine, as opposed to writing a "prediction" after having the benefit of knowing the total after the spectator rolls the six dice. IMHO, the way it should be presented, is to allow the spectator to insert the six dice in the box in any way they choose (for example a 5, a 2, a 6, a 5, a 4, and a 6, totaling in that case, 28. (There are obviously many, many possibilities). 28 is then written down on the outside of the folded paper. Then the magician shakes the box twice, and whatever the total is (it should be 14 in this example, if executed correctly), it is added to the spectator's total (28), to equal 42. The prediction is then opened to show that the number 42 was correctly predicted before the routine even got under way..

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » February 19th, 2023, 3:34 pm

I only do one Tenyo trick but I have been doing it for decades in my kid show. It is called "What's Next?"

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » February 19th, 2023, 3:39 pm

I have performed What’s Next hundreds if not a thousand times. It was a staple in all of my performances which were mostly kids shows. It is indeed a fantastic effect if done well. Always gets a great reaction.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » February 19th, 2023, 6:37 pm

I think the best guy I have ever seen with "What's Next" is Dr Bernard Juby. I have no idea if he is even alive nowadays. He actually did it to rhyming patter!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 19th, 2023, 10:51 pm

"Mr. Danger" is one of the cooler recent Tenyo effects, IMHO.
Here's a guy that takes it to the next level: https://www.youtube.com/@studioeffects

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 20th, 2023, 4:39 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote: I am thinking that Flash Dice should be in most everyone’s top 5

Would you consider the clear box used in Hanson Chien's Sonic Dice to be an improvement?

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 20th, 2023, 8:44 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote: I am thinking that Flash Dice should be in most everyone’s top 5

Would you consider the clear box used in Hanson Chien's Sonic Dice to be an improvement?

Brad, I believe it was I.M. Magician who opined that Flash Dice should be in everyone's top 5. Of all the many Tenyo tricks, I only have experience with Flash Dice, so I can only speak to that trick. I would highly recommend it to anyone, because it's so much fun to do and, with sufficient practice and imagination, one can produce a variety of very magical effects, including a strong prediction and (as I recently discovered) an amazing magical effect in the spectator's hands. Most importantly, I almost invariably get a great reaction with it. I'm not familiar with Sonic Dice, except for briefly reading the description on Vanishing Inc. It sounds great and appears to have a visual magic aspect that Flash Dice does not. Still, I would have to compare them side by side. I do know that Sonic Dice is almost 4 times the price of Flash Dice, so I would hope it would be good. Flash Dice definitely has huge bang for the buck.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 20th, 2023, 9:55 am

I actually think Alan Wakeling's version of the principle used in "Flash Dice" is the best.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 20th, 2023, 1:07 pm

erdnasephile wrote:I actually think Alan Wakeling's version of the principle used in "Flash Dice" is the best.

Where can that be found, Erdnasephile?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » February 20th, 2023, 1:11 pm

erdnasephile wrote:I actually think Alan Wakeling's version of the principle used in "Flash Dice" is the best.

I agree.
I like the routines and the double row of dice obfuscates the method.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 20th, 2023, 2:21 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:

Hi, Alfred: When I wrote that comment, I had assumed that it was still available; however, it apparently is not currently being manufactured.
https://www.magiccollectibles.com/produ ... -workshop/
The Wakeling routine, while a little long for my taste, is a devious one.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 20th, 2023, 9:12 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:

Hi, Alfred: When I wrote that comment, I had assumed that it was still available; however, it apparently is not currently being manufactured.
https://www.magiccollectibles.com/produ ... -workshop/
The Wakeling routine, while a little long for my taste, is a devious one.

Thanks for your reply, erdnasephile. I just watched the video demo of this, and it is clever to be sure. I am not a fan, however, of the plot or patter of "loaded dice." There's no need for it, and, in fact, the way laymen think, at least in my experience, is that they actually will write off what they see as being attributable to loaded (or trick) dice, precisely as the magician has declared. This, notwithstanding that the dice are perfectly normal and can easily be proven as such. A plot that the dice are "trained" or that the magician can control them with his/her mind would, IMO, play better, and wouldn't provide the spectators with a simple explanation that undercuts the magic. It is widely known that there is such a thing as loaded dice and that they are an artifice used by crooked gamblers. Cheating will not equate to magic or skillful sleight of hand in the eyes of the spectators.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » February 21st, 2023, 7:17 am

Seeing so many positive comments regarding Flash Dice, and reading the extensive section on it in Tenyoism, I think that it's now on my must-buy list

Return to “Tenyo”