Tenyo Koornwinder Kar

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Doug Conn

Tenyo Koornwinder Kar

Postby Doug Conn » July 31st, 2013, 2:10 pm

I'm working for a car dealership in Houston next week...

I'm not one to quickly add material to my repetoire, but the guy (who's paying me well ;) specifically mentioned doing something with cars (if I could.)

I have some passable ideas, but was thinking:

I've always wanted to try the Koornwinder car and I'm thinking now is the time to give it a 'test drive'

alas: A bit of searching online found mixed reviews with the Tenyo version

Has anyone here tried it and/or have an opinion about the thing? I figured someone around here should know!

I briefly read something about a lego version but after seeing the $80 price tag; ill pass * Im mildly interested (if anyone has the scoop) but I'm mainly curious about the (certified) Tenyo release

it's so tiny and cute, I'm hoping it doesn't suck. I could see having a good time with this
Learn more bout me: http://www.connmagic.com

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Tenyo Koornwinder Kar

Postby Q. Kumber » July 31st, 2013, 3:06 pm

You might want to check out Tamariz' presentation on his Lessons In Magic set, available as downloads from VanishingInc. It is on the second DVD
http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic- ... -download/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2013, 3:11 pm

The Tenyo version works as well as the original and it locks so it can be handed out. And it's inexpensive.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » July 31st, 2013, 3:48 pm

Well, that's a strong vote!
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Ill await another hour or two before shipping off my cash to... Uh, I'm also open on best places to buy Tenyo ? Maybe SEO magic?

Also:
Any 2nd opinions? (I did read some "grumblings" at the green place. But figured the Tenyo experts here would have the real scoop)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2013, 3:56 pm

Seo magic will ship it to you from California. There should be a bunch of magic shops on line which carry it. It can also be found on eBay (sometimes for less). Magico-Japan is a reliable seller of Tenyo on eBay.

stereo

Postby stereo » July 31st, 2013, 5:36 pm

Thats the review from my blog:

This trick is very good, the car himself is very cute, nevertheless I would have preferred that Tenyo uses a plastic of better quality because the mechanism allowing to make examine the car by spectator is not discreet to activate, it makes a noise because of the too stiff plastic. Fortunately that noise decrease after several uses. Not a big deal. Anyway having the possibility to let the public examine the car at the end is a real advantage. It's the strong point of Tenyo's version. There are many other versions of this effect which are made of wood or glass but they are not examinable. Somewhere the toy side of the car is not necessarily a negative point because it really looks like any small car that children use to play, and therefore doesn't seem gimmicked. Tenyo also provided some additional cards that allow you to use the car in a playful way without using a deck of playing cards as in the conventional routine. For a reasonable price, Tenyo's "New Koornwinder Kar" is probably the most complete and the most interesting version available on the market.

http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.fr/2010/05/ ... r-car.html

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 31st, 2013, 6:10 pm

Early 1974, perhaps the end of January or early February, Ken Brooke gave a lecture in Dublin. Lecture is really the wrong word. It was an extraordinary evening of strong magic, gags, stories and schtick. The only living magician that I can think of who generates the same kind of atmosphere is David Williamson.

One of the routines Ken performed that evening was the Koornwinder Kar. He had a sequence of gags with it. My memory isn't spot on in the detail but he did have at least one sticker on the roof and possibly some on the side, making it look like a sport racing car. He had a squeaker concealed in his hand and pressed the roof and the car squeaked. He did this s couple of times. He asked a spectator to press the roof and (if memory serves) it made the sound of a bicycle horn.

I don't know if his gags were included in the instruction sheets. With many of Ken's products he produced additional instruction sheets as customers made suggestions or added routines. These were free to the original purchasers and were part of his 'After Sales Service'.

One of the routines added to the instructions used six blank cards with images of models of new cars on them and the patter theme was the difficulty in choosing which one to buy and letting the little car make the decision.
Last edited by Q. Kumber on July 31st, 2013, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2013, 6:15 pm

Right here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TENYO-KOORNWIND ... 5d4226de86
for sale, $30, new, from a guy I have done business with before.

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » July 31st, 2013, 7:54 pm

Thanks for all the help.

**I went ahead and purchased it from the EBay seller u suggested.

Love the idea of doing it with misc car choices (it looks like the Magic Geek demo showed this with various "destination" cards (that I assume Tenyo includes?)) The car idea is much Better for this gig... Time to print some stickers! (This is a client Id love to keep, if ya know what I mean & I think ya do ;)

the Brooke idea of using the squeaker (if only as a " little horn") is great

Again; really appreciate all the tips/advice

Ears wide open for any more!

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 31st, 2013, 8:09 pm

Doug,
You can always pick up three truck hub caps and do a cup and ball routine or convert one of the caps into a chop cup. These are the cup sized center hub caps. Many have the brand name on them. This brings in the brand sold by the dealer.
Jim
Last edited by Jim Riser on July 31st, 2013, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 31st, 2013, 8:11 pm

Doug,
Use an auto floor mat with logo on it as your close-up pad.
Jim

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 31st, 2013, 8:14 pm

Doug,
Cut and restored spark plug wire.
Jim

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 31st, 2013, 9:06 pm

Two lugnuts in the hand, one in the pocket. Doc Eason has a routine for bolts and screws on this theme already written up. It is also on his "Bar Magic" vol 3 video, and you can find a performance of it on Youtube by someone else. (or see the predecessor routine, "Screwed!" by Chris Frings, in Genii 9/1982 p 581)

T'n'R Pink Slips.

Spectator selects card. Before you reveal it, tell him that you have to go check with the sales manager.

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » August 1st, 2013, 9:00 am

Bill that last line is gold!

Ill be using that all night ;)
Thanks

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 1st, 2013, 2:41 pm

Torn and restored pink slip.

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » August 2nd, 2013, 1:47 pm

This is a nice bonus by the creator himself ;)

http://youtu.be/8ekoQ4f2SVI

Dick Koornwinder

Postby Dick Koornwinder » August 2nd, 2013, 7:21 pm

I have worked for quite a lot of car companies during the years and I thought always it was a little bit silly I was doing the trick not with a beautiful scale model of the client’s newest car but instead with a car of my own brand. What follows is until now the best solution I found to overcome this problem. In the deck is a blank card with a sticker with a picture of the model the company likes to promote. If the spectator is driving the Kar I ask to think at the selected card. The Kar stops on the card with the sticker and I’m looking myself at that card,  so not revealing the card already to the audience, and I blame the spectator was not thinking at the selected card but at his desire he would prefer to drive with that top model of the company instead of with such a stupid wooden kids car and then I show the card to the audience. After that commercial break (!) I ask the spectator again to think at the selected card etc. etc. Additional fun is that the audience is seeing the Kar is not stopping  twice at the same position!  
BTW as you may know there are a lot of rip-offs of my Kar and Rhett Bryson has published a wee book about this crime.Image 
 I hate it especially if people are offering rip-offs of the Kar in combination with my name and believe me it is happening all the time. It is good to repeat I have only given Tenyo permission to release their version of the trick and to nobody else and the main reason is they were the first ever who contacted me with that simple request for permission and besides that I like the company and I’m very happy with the result!       

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » August 3rd, 2013, 9:24 am

Mr Koornwinder ,
thanks taking the time to add your input.

I'd definitely plan on using a car sticker (for red hot mama or a dream card effect) your idea has the grey matter churning

I've seen the demo w/the destination cards that Tenyo includes
I like how this gets away from the standard card revelation & look forward to playing with those as well.

Thank you for your wonderful contribution(s) to our art. I can't wait to share some smiles :)

Doug Conn

Postby Doug Conn » August 5th, 2013, 11:51 am

Kar arrived this a.m.
Great price, fast shipping, superb packaging. I'm quite pleased with my new toy! Thank you Richard for recommending the above seller. Couldn't be more pleased

Return to “Tenyo”