Suzuki's Tiny Rings

Post topics about the clever and unique creations the from Japanese magic company.

Moderator: Richard Kaufman

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Suzuki's Tiny Rings

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 9th, 2014, 5:33 pm

On sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-Magic-Tin ... 2a438c1bd3

A reputable seller, but he neglects to mention that no English language instructions exist for this effect, so unless you can read Japanese, you're screwed!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Suzuki's Tiny Rings

Postby Q. Kumber » September 9th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Won't the instructions be in the book?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 9th, 2014, 7:01 pm

No.

While we I am explaining many tricks, there are also many that are not explained. The book is 1200 pages as it is--it would not be physically possible to explain every trick. In addition, Tenyo feels that they have an unspoken contract with their customers who bought the tricks, and it would be unfair to them if they were explained.

What I am doing is teaching three types of things:

1. Nearly 100 handlings of existing Tenyo effects that are made with plastic injection molding to supplement the original handlings. There is no point in explaining the mechanics of the trick itself if you don't own it. And if you do own it, you have the instruction sheet. The additional handlings often add sleight of hand and create amazing new miracles, many better than those in the original instructions.

2. I also explain many tricks that were made in limited numbers (very limited) and sold only in Japan. Because these items were handmade, it is possible to construct the props yourself and therefore it makes sense to teach them.

3. Other tricks created by members of Tenyo's created division which have appeared in Japanese books and magazines, but have never been translated into English.

The reason why Tiny Rings is not being described (since it is in the second category) is because there's a good chance that Tenyo will sell it again in the future--possibly with a DVD so language in the instructions isn't a problem. I do have a video of Suzuki performing Tiny Rings and may include it on one of the DVDs with the books (there will be three DVDs included). Tiny Rings is a stunning routine.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » September 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Tiny Rings is a stunning routine indeed! When they came out, I saw a video with a perfectly done performance. Smooth as silk...

In fact, if you go to YouTube, you can see it there. He has a wood display to hang the Tiny Rings. Nice presentation!

ecw

Postby ecw » September 10th, 2014, 2:26 pm

It is a very nice routine and the gold rings look very nice as well.

While the instructions are in Japanese there are pictures every step of the way. Between that and the video performances on Youtube, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn the routine.

Unfortunately the routine is not very stunning in my hands yet. One of these days I have to really sit down and practice this. :)

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » September 10th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Anyone have a link to the youtube performance please?
Tried googling but no luck.

AJM

Postby AJM » September 10th, 2014, 5:47 pm

Very nice indeed.

What are the rings made of?

Andrew

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » September 10th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Thank you for the links. I had been googling under the name of the creator.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2014, 6:10 pm

The rings are solid brass with no weld marks. They're wider and heavier than you would expect and handle very well.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » September 10th, 2014, 10:33 pm

A reputable seller, but he neglects to mention that no English language instructions exist for this effect, so unless you can read Japanese, you're screwed!

The Internet has made available a lot of services that would otherwise be inaccessible or unaffordable. I used the Web-based translation service One Hour Translation in the past to have lyrics for a personal video translated into multiple languages. I was quite surprised at how inexpensive it was. They continue to offer general translation from $0.079 per word, including Japanese although it would require scanning the page for submission. A lot of effort for a magic effect, but not impossible today.

http://www.onehourtranslation.com/
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Botond Kelle

Postby Botond Kelle » September 11th, 2014, 3:31 am

Hello,

I'm the seller of this item. I just added this to the description of the ebay listing:

___

The item comes with original Japanese instructions with pictures every step of the way. Between that and the video performances on Youtube, it shouldn't be too difficult to learn the routine. But I will also include a copy of English instructions for a similar 4 ring routine from a different manufacturer.

You can see the routine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqztS05vo3Q

___

Thurston
Favorite Magician: David Williamson

Postby Thurston » September 12th, 2014, 11:31 am

Routine looks great. Rings look similar in size to the El Duco mini rings... does anyone have both and can confirm?

Return to “Tenyo”