Magic Books 2017

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
AJM

Magic Books 2017

Postby AJM » November 12th, 2017, 9:38 am

What do folks think have been the 'must have' magic books published so far in 2017?

Andrew

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Magic Books 2017

Postby Ted M » November 12th, 2017, 10:10 am

Less Is More by Ben Earl is an elegant, thoughtful study of cutting four aces.

Henry Christ's Fabulous Four Ace trick is his starting point. From there he incrementally modifies the trick to remove weaknesses, to enhance the revelations, to allow the spectator to shuffle... until the effect becomes cutting four aces from a freely shuffled deck. The book is a work of theory, practically applied all the way through to develop a good effect into a piece of amazement.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic ... s-is-more/

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » November 12th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Ted M wrote:Less Is More by Ben Earl...

I second.

Richard

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » November 14th, 2017, 3:43 pm

It feels like it has been a quiet year for books.

The highlight of my year has been getting JAMM (www.thejerx.com) in my inbox each month.

As for books - the stand out one for me is Bob Farmer's The Bammo Tarotdiction Toolbox.

I took awhile before ordering it. And that worked out well for me since the supplements that Bob emailed out after the book was published were included with the book. And the supplements are my favourite part of the book. I prefer seeing this principle applied to a full deck of cards rather than a packet. And that is what the supplements focus on.

The book has a lot going for it. A new principle. And easy to do. And my favourite trick - which ends with a shuffled deck in new deck order - allows you to do something that cannot be done by sleight-of-hand or gaffs. It is rare a new principle achieves an effect that cannot really be achieved any other way. I really love playing around with the system that Bob has uncovered. And all this despite the fact I was on a break from card tricks.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » November 14th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Another fruit of this year's publishing harvest is this gorgeous 248-page book of magic posters and supporting essays:

Illusions: The Art of Magic: Posters from the Golden Age of Magic
https://www.amazon.com/Illusions-Art-Ma ... 874397585/

I'm very pleased with mine, and the price can't be beat.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 4th, 2017, 11:53 am

With the Piedrahita and McCabe books on the horizon, 2017 looks decidedly stronger for books.

I own Less is More, and I greatly respect it for what it is: a chronicle of one man's dedication, skill, thought, scholarship, and dare I say, obsession with a single plot. (I view this much like Valentine's remarkable C2P project) However, for me personally, sadly, I don't think I'll ever do any of the versions Mr. Earl describes because that's generally not the type of magic I favor. (I'm in the conceal skill--no possible explanation school). That's not to say it's not a great book for the right person--just not me at this point in time.

One 2017 book that didn't seem to get a lot of run (probably due to it's limited access) is Paul Vigil's outstanding "The Doors of Deception". I love reading deep thinking and detail oriented writers--Mr. Vigil has worked out everything about these real-world routines. The downside of the material is the strength--everything is so worked out, it's so tempting to just adopt it as is.

If anything, all of these books have inspired me to emulate their process--to be diligent enough to do my own research on a plot and learn as many versions of a plot I can get my hands on before trying to develop my own routine. I want to experience the growth and depth these books express instead of just personalizing other people's intact material. Nothing wrong with that, but I want to stretch more in the new year.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » December 5th, 2017, 12:36 am

Derek DelGaudio also has a book coming out in December.

https://www.artofmagic.com/products/a-s ... -two-faces

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 5th, 2017, 6:33 am

Thanks for posting that Ted M--I'll be interested in the reviews. It's hard to tell what the book specifically contains from the ad.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 5th, 2017, 11:41 am

It appears to contain essays and/or art of some sort.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

davidsaltman

Postby davidsaltman » December 12th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Here's publicity for a book that just came out. Makes a great stocking-stuffer!

HOUDINI FOR THE HOLIDAYS!

ORDER NOW FROM AMAZON FOR CHRISTMAS!

HOUDINI UNBOUND is getting rave reviews:

"David Saltman brings magic to the page in Houdini Unbound -- both the world of stage magic that he knows so well, and the magic of his own unbounded imagination. How could one not admire a book whose characters, in addition to Houdini himself, include Teddy Roosevelt, Anton Chekhov, and Rasputin?”

—DANIEL OKRENT, author, Last Call, Great Fortune, Nine Innings; Pulitzer Prize finalist; Public Editor, The New York Times

"Who could do better in this day and age than Russia and espionage? David Saltman can, and has, in Houdini Unbound, his new novel that adds Houdini to that already roiling stew to masterful effect! A page turner deluxe!"

—LUCIAN K. TRUSCOTT IV, author, Dress Gray; feature writer, Salon

“What an exciting romp through history Saltman has conjured. Houdini Unbound is a very personal introduction to history's A-list (heads of state — elected and otherwise, authors and artists and aficionados) that is packed with fine and accurate details of international intrigue, the sensual pleasures of food and travel and a pleasing hint of occult mystery. Best of all this gripping yarn is teeming with the tradecraft of spies and politicians and, of course, magicians.” 

— MANNY HOWARD, author, My Empire of Dirt; Executive Editor, Salon

“True events, beautifully dramatized. Extremely entertaining!”

— JOHN COX, Houdini historian, www.WildAboutHoudini.com

"Triumphant! Houdini’s adventures from a century ago make him and the historical figures of his time come alive."

— ARTHUR MOSES, historian, collector, author, Houdini Speaks Out

ORDER NOW:  via AMAZON, BARNES & NOBLE or Fine Bookstores Worldwide.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » December 13th, 2017, 1:07 pm

For me, great acquisitions this year were Secrets of So Sato and Super Sized Silly at bargain price at Genii Convention, Thanks Richard. (ok, these aren't 2017 books)

Illusions: The Art of Magic is a great and luxury book. I would like to visit the exhibition, but I will conform with the book. As Ted M says The price can't be beaten.

And the great purchase was Johnny Thompson book
Andres Reynoso

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 13th, 2017, 2:51 pm

I'm going to put Ryan Matney's Spoiler Alert, Bob Farmer's Gaffus Maximus, and Jim Steinmeyer's latest in his Impuzzibilities series on this list. If you like good card magic, these books fall into the "must have" category.

F.Amílcar
Favorite Magician: J. N. Hofzinser

Postby F.Amílcar » December 13th, 2017, 7:50 pm

I second too the Ben Earl book.

Leave a lot of inspiration for your own construction in the tricks depending your knowledge of technique about cheating.

Best wishes.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 13th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Just got Scripting Magic 2. It looks great!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 13th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I just today received Luis Piedrahita's new book on coin magic, but I haven't read enough of it to say how good it is.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 14th, 2017, 1:13 pm

The Deluxe Set of Scripting Magic 1 & 2 arrived yesterday--just gorgeous. They have something I've not seen before: an elastic strap bound into the back cover of the book to keep the book closed and to hold the bonus worksheets.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » December 17th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Fifty pages into Scripting Magic 2, and it's not just one of my favorite magic books of the year, but favorite magic books ever.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » December 18th, 2017, 10:52 am

At the Genii Convention back in October, Asi Wind noted that a book of his magic by John Lovick was due out "around the end of the year." Does anyone (Asi/John/others) have an update on it?

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » December 18th, 2017, 1:40 pm

For me the best book was Nick Trost's Subtle Card Creations Volume 6. I reviewed it and all the others in my March Little Egypt Magic. Next, especially easy stuff: the new Impuzzibilities. And my favorite in December is Spoiler Alert, the review posted two days ago. Fun material.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 18th, 2017, 2:00 pm

What we all need next Christmas (or sooner) is a new Steve Bryant book! ;)

Ted M

Postby Ted M » December 18th, 2017, 4:24 pm

brianarudolph wrote:At the Genii Convention back in October, Asi Wind noted that a book of his magic by John Lovick was due out "around the end of the year." Does anyone (Asi/John/others) have an update on it?

It's called "Repertoire," now supposedly being released in the spring. Contents listed here:

https://www.asiwindstore.com/about

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 22nd, 2017, 7:58 pm

Ted M wrote:Less Is More by Ben Earl is an elegant, thoughtful study of cutting four aces.

Henry Christ's Fabulous Four Ace trick is his starting point. From there he incrementally modifies the trick to remove weaknesses, to enhance the revelations, to allow the spectator to shuffle... until the effect becomes cutting four aces from a freely shuffled deck. The book is a work of theory, practically applied all the way through to develop a good effect into a piece of amazement.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic ... s-is-more/

Earl's thoughts on the Frank Thompson false cut are worth the price of the book.

erdnasephile

Re: (Coins and Fables) Magic Books 2017

Postby erdnasephile » December 23rd, 2017, 3:36 pm

A few personal notes and opinions on "Coins and Fables" by Luis Piedrahita.

1. There is a very positive review of the book in the the Jan 2018 Genii by John Lovick which I concur with.

2. To answer a specific question from a fellow GF'er: the majority of the 10 routines do not require anything more exotic than a shell. The three exceptions are: 1) A Silver Dollar Gravity Flipper (not sure if that's considered exotic anymore), 2) a Lassen magnetic Ramsay stack (if you wish to include a very disarming subtlety on page 69) and 3) a four coin nest in the last routine. Beware: lesser-equipped readers are likely to contract a case of acute Lassen envy whilst studying the book.

3. Senor Piedrahita admonishes the readers to avoid the shell (all gaffs really) "until Bobo has already danced through your fingers." I think I would add "and until you've gotten at least to second base with RK's "Coin Magic" and Roth's Expert Coin Magic" Anything less than veteran coin men and women need not apply (unless your name rhymes with Horitz Cooler). This certainly doesn't mean an inexperienced person couldn't learn the routines properly in time, but the pre-mastery of the above material would certainly save you a whole lot of trial and error before you start hammering away. To make the routines look as carefree and casual as Senor Piedrahita does is going to take serious elbow grease! (Then again: every time I begin to doubt I can do something coinwise, I keep remembering Kam's First Law of Coin Magic: "Shut Up and Palm the #$@#$ Coins!"--so I say: "Go for it!", if you dare.)

4. Senor Piedrahita writes better than many, but there are several times in the text where he essentially says "Just do this" without fully describing the complex movements necessary to maintain multiple coins hidden, whilst doing an overt movement with yet another coin in that same hand and simultaneously doing something sneaky with the other. IMHO, it's those small details that makes expert coin magic, "magic" instead of (as my wife has said after watching a famous coin magician), "What's the big deal? He's just hiding them in his hands." (and she was exactly right at every point).

5. In terms of the physical plant of the book: it is very handsome--I love the big format books, and the black and white motif suits the elegant subject material just fine. I would only note that while I appreciate the artistic sensibilities that went into the design, personally, I would gladly trade a lot of that copious white (and black) space for larger photos in several instances. Perhaps I'm spoiled lately by looking at those big, original Karger Stars of Magic photos, but a few times, the photos here would have benefited by being a tad larger and more tightly focused on the action at hand (pun intended). This is where I think, illustrations gain an advantage over photographs because they capture the essence of the move itself and strip away the excess, which I find useful when learning. In addition, I think a companion video would have been great to help amplify some of the more sparse explanations to aid learning some of the tougher parts.

In any event, the material in the book is exciting and meaningful with real plots, both classic and whimsical. I think whatever it takes for a learner to truly master these fine offerings is time well spent and will put you in a very exclusive club indeed.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

Thanks for the great review Erdnasephile! My copy of the January 2018 issue isn't here yet.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 23rd, 2017, 11:19 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:Thanks for the great review Erdnasephile! My copy of the January 2018 issue isn't here yet.

Read it online -- it's been up for a couple of days.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 24th, 2017, 12:39 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
Leonard Hevia wrote:Thanks for the great review Erdnasephile! My copy of the January 2018 issue isn't here yet.

Read it online -- it's been up for a couple of days.

No thanks Bill, I'd rather keep my Genii experience on paper. There's something magical about that as there is in reading a physical book. Paper itself is a magical thing.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 24th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Absolutely! Magical enough for Houdini to write a whole book on "Paper Magic."

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 24th, 2017, 2:13 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Absolutely! Magical enough for Houdini to write a whole book on "Paper Magic."

How true Alfred, except Houdini had his books written for him by magicians like Walter Gibson, and Oscar Teale.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 24th, 2017, 3:25 pm

I’ve just ordered both James Solberg’s Magic Square books - very much looking to receiving them.

Andrew

performer

Postby performer » December 24th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Absolutely! Magical enough for Houdini to write a whole book on "Paper Magic."

How true Alfred, except Houdini had his books written for him by magicians like Walter Gibson, and Oscar Teale.

I used to have his book (and for all I know I may still have it) Miracle Mongers and their Methods. I think he wrote that one. I remember being bored stiff by the writing style.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 24th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:

Thanks for educating me on that.

Did Houdini also have a ghost writer(s) for his expose on Robert-Houdin?

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 24th, 2017, 7:30 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Did Houdini also have a ghost writer(s) for his expose on Robert-Houdin?

No, Harry wrote The Unmasking himself, but as time went on he gave the writing chores to others.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 24th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Did Houdini also have a ghost writer(s) for his expose on Robert-Houdin?

No, Harry wrote The Unmasking himself, but as time went on he gave the writing chores to others.

Thanks for the clarification, Leo. I started reading the unmasking several months ago and was impressed with the writing style and the level of research and investigation that went into it, but then got busy with other things. Fascinating!. I am looking forward to returning to it.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 24th, 2017, 7:55 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Leo. I started reading the unmasking several months ago and was impressed with the writing style and the level of research and investigation that went into it, but then got busy with other things. Fascinating!. I am looking forward to returning to it.

Not many magicians considered it magic book of the year when it was published. This should clarify things:

http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php ... ert-Houdin

performer

Postby performer » December 24th, 2017, 9:24 pm

I have a story to tell about this. I once operated a magic studio in Blackpool and of course received mail orders from around the world as all dealers do. One day I got an order from France but alas there was no money enclosed with the order. Since I rather like food with my meals I prefer people to pay for the stuff I am going to rip them off with. I therefore sent a letter back to France explaining that I thought that it might be a rather wonderful idea if, when ordering merchandise payment should be sent along with it. I then received an indignant reply but alas no money. I didn't mind suffering the former but was very disinclined to suffer the latter. Nevertheless I read the letter. It waffled about the honour of a gentleman which I found a very odd concept and furthermore the honour of France which I found even odder. The letter was obviously from someone of a bygone age and probably older than God. He obviously expected me to send him the merchandise and he would pay me in his own good time, and that I should honour the word of a French gentleman. Alas Blackpool and France are not a compatible combination where "honour" and "gentlemen" are concerned.

I was on the verge of cursing France and all who sailed in her and wishing the guillotine upon my correspondant until I read a paragraph and gasped with astonishment. He wrote in block capital letters that he was MAURICE SARDINA and known throughout the world as the man who defended the honour of France and Robert-Houdin from that ghastly American upstart Houdini. He had written a famous rebuttal to Houdini's claims. In fact he wrote an entire book about it entitled "Where Houdini Was Wrong". It was a very famous book indeed.

I was so dumbstruck by this that I descended into madness and the greedy wicked grafter was temporarily transformed to his roots as an artist and lover of magic. I had of course heard of this famous book and thought the author had died off donkey's years before. I was astonished he was still alive and immediately in a fit of insanity wrote back that I was honoured to hear from him and he could have the merchandise free of charge. And I sent the trick whatever the hell it was back to him with the letter.

I then received a letter back from France with a much friendlier tone. Alas no money but instead he sent the actual book as a gift for my kindness.
It was quite an experience. Alas some years later my greed returned and I sold the book to Quentin Reynolds. I wish I hadn't now.

Anyway, that is the story.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 25th, 2017, 12:31 am

I'm assuming you intended to post this rib-tickler in the Magic Books 1917 thread?

Andrew

performer

Postby performer » December 25th, 2017, 8:16 am

Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement of the story. In fact you have encouraged me to tell another one. Perhaps later..............

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 25th, 2017, 9:51 am

That was a great story, Mark.

I had no idea who that French guy was. So I bow to your superior magic knowledge.

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby EndersGame » April 28th, 2018, 5:20 am

Is Harry Lorayne's Jaw Droppers! Two a contender?

It came out towards the end of 2017, and has 70+ card magic effects, including some handy utility moves, in Harry's usual inimitable style.

I especially like S/H/F Killer (p. 143), which is very clever and deceptive.
Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

Return to “Light From the Lamp”