Direct Triple Prediction by Harapan Ong

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Bob Cunningham

Direct Triple Prediction by Harapan Ong

Postby Bob Cunningham » November 21st, 2016, 12:41 pm

I'm pretty excited about Harapan Ong's Direct Triple Prediction in this months "Magicana"! This is a practical improvement of the old trick based on the one ahead principle with cards (point to the 5 of Spades, now point to the 8 of Diamonds, etc).

This was one of the first card tricks I learned as a teenager. IMO this trick has two weaknesses: 1) the "one ahead" principle is known by more than a few layman and 2) the order of the cards must changed to match the order of the prediction.

Mr. Ong overcomes these weaknesses with a memorized deck which obscures the one ahead principle (l am using a marked deck to accomplish the same thing as a memorized deck - but with less work) and Jennings Optical Add-On (which solves the order issue).

If you have ever performed the old one ahead card trick, and enjoyed the reaction of spectators who were not "in the know", you might want to check out Direct Triple Prediction!!!

Richard Stokes

Re: Direct Triple Prediction by Harapan Ong

Postby Richard Stokes » February 13th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Even though it's disguised, it still has enough elements of the ancient one-ahead trick to un-baffle the spectators.

I don't have my copy in the UK, but I prefer a trick in Randy Wakeman Presents where spectators mysteriously locate their own cards as the magician spreads the deck in his hands.
From memory, spectators each see a different card from a riffled deck and their selection is Kelly-bottomed to beneath the deck.
Then you spread the deck and out jog any card each spectator touches.
As you strip these cards out you secretly add the genuine selections (at the bottom of the deck) under this packet, maintaining a break. Then in the act of ribbon spreading the rest of the deck, you steal back the indifferent cards.
You are now left clean with the selections in your hands.
This can be performed from a shuffled deck and doesn't require a marked deck or knowledge of the top card or suspicious verbal predictions.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”