Regret the error.

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Regret the error.

Postby NCMarsh » August 11th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Just a quick note that my review of Finn Jon's "Legacy" DVD in the September issue that is out digitally today contain's a reference to "John Kennedy's 'Vanishing Nickel.'" The reference should have been to John Cornelius -- apologies to both gentlemen.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Regret the error.

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 12th, 2016, 12:07 pm

As Nathan's proofer, I own some of the responsibility and also apologize accordingly.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Three of us proofread that, but without having seen the DVD, there was no way we could have related a trick with the incorrect title to the correct creator. Besides, I think "Fickle Nickle" may predate Cornelius.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 12th, 2016, 12:50 pm

I do know that the name "Fickle Nickel" is Cornelius's marketed effect as performed by Doug Henning. I suspect that the concept might be older, but I think it's fair to credit Cornelius with the handling and certainly its popularity.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » August 12th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 12th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Good stuff. Thanks Joe.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » August 14th, 2016, 1:50 am

Joe,

Fantastic resource and details!

Best,

N

NCMarsh

Postby NCMarsh » August 14th, 2016, 1:58 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Three of us proofread that, but without having seen the DVD, there was no way we could have related a trick with the incorrect title to the correct creator. Besides, I think "Fickle Nickle" may predate Cornelius.

Yes, the trick goes back decades prior to Cornelius (and we did get that part right in the review) the major difference with "The Vanishing Nickel" is the use of the gaffed coin. FWIW, on the title, the trick has been marketed as both "Fickle Nickel" and "The Vanishing Nickel" (cf: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S2271); the latter was the title when I bought the trick in the mid-late 90's and so what I associated with it

But yeah -- I should have caught it before submitting it for proofing and see how a mis-credit on a trick known by multiple titles can easily slip through; I own the mistake

Cheers,

N

Return to “Light From the Lamp”