Key Mysteries

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
P.T.Widdle

Key Mysteries

Postby P.T.Widdle » January 26th, 2016, 1:08 pm

I read John Lovick's review of Steve Drury's book, "Key Mysteries" on the subway this morning (Yes, I read Genii on the subway. I find there are still book-reading people on the subway, but printed magazines seemed to have almost entirely disappeared).

In the review, Lovick describes a Drury contribution whereby he uses the Haunted Key during a therapy session.
"The therapy session involves...secretly obtaining the client's "issue" via a glimpse or impression device."

Lovick characterizes this contribution as, "extremely distasteful", "creepy, inappropriate, and almost certainly unethical."

I happen to agree.

And I would also be interested to see if anyone replied to Lovick's request for any certified therapists who disagree to write him and "set me straight."

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Re: Key Mysteries

Postby Tom Frame » January 26th, 2016, 3:24 pm

I'm a licensed psychotherapist. I whole-heartedly agree with Lovick's assessment.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 26th, 2016, 3:33 pm

What's his proposed crossover between client based therapy and the therapist using magic tricks? Supernatural affirmation/indoctrination... no comment.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » January 26th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Imagine a friend of yours raving about how wonderfully insightful their new therapist is, and you happen to find out later that those "insights" are actually the result of glimpses and impression devices ...

Very, very bad.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 26th, 2016, 4:48 pm

would the results from the session be different if the client knew/found out that a trick was used to obtain the information?

was the client aware that they were seeing a 'demonstration' or 'performance' - was the 'magic' presented as science or symbol, reason or rite?

I agree that this situation sounds (and likely is) creepy, (I don't know the 'routine') but I worked with a therapist who used various arts (we discussed using magic) in conjunction with crisis therapy. So I'm not wIlling to condemn someone just because they use magic in a questionable context or employ deception in their techniques. I do trust lovick's opinion, but I'm not going to rush to judge without facts.

I'm not a member of scicop after all.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » January 26th, 2016, 5:14 pm

The quote in PTW's second paragraph appears to leave little doubt as to the savoriness of the therapy methodology.

However, I've been burned here before by someone alleging malfeasance (a copyright infringement which turned out not to be that at all), so I will reserve judgement until someone who has read Drury's book, not just a review of it, cares to tell us what the actual procedure involves.

performer

Postby performer » January 26th, 2016, 7:10 pm

I would also like to see the context before passing judgement. I would particularly be interested to see what kind of "therapist" the gentleman is. If he is a psychiatrist I do have to say that they are all quite mad themselves. I have never met a sane psychiatrist and in fact I consider them just as mad as their patients.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » January 26th, 2016, 7:59 pm

observer wrote:I will reserve judgement until someone who has read Drury's book, not just a review of it, cares to tell us what the actual procedure involves.

Judging by Lovick's review, and the price of the book, you may be waiting a long time.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”