One Man's View of The Hollingworth Collection

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: One Man's View of The Hollingworth Collection

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 20th, 2014, 7:37 pm

There is no upscaling for VHS tapes for hi-def flat TVs unless you have an external unit that costs several hundred bucks. So having the material on DVD is, for all intents and purposes, the only way to upscale it for viewing on flat TVs.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 22nd, 2014, 7:28 am

Just started watching my set. Is it just me or does the original London Collection on disc 1 have this really annoying high pitched sound in the background? It's driving me crazy.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 22nd, 2014, 9:48 am

PickaCard wrote:Just started watching my set. Is it just me or does the original London Collection on disc 1 have this really annoying high pitched sound in the background? It's driving me crazy.

Are you sitting on your cat accidentally?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 22nd, 2014, 9:51 pm

PickaCard wrote:Just started watching my set. Is it just me or does the original London Collection on disc 1 have this really annoying high pitched sound in the background? It's driving me crazy.

I couldn't hear what you were talking about at first (especially during the performances when the piano music is playing); however, by sticking my head right next to my speakers during the explanations I can hear a very faint "tinny" sound.

I didn't notice it during the first watch through until you pointed it out.

You've got good ears! (or I have very bad ears).

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 23rd, 2014, 12:13 am

He might have been wearing earphones.

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » September 23rd, 2014, 9:49 am

I was watching it with earphones at first but I can still hear it well on the TV although it is better.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 24th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Just to show you how big companies dealing with famous films can make similar errors (i.e., apparently no one watched the entire test disc all the way through), this was reported on collider.com today:

"... the David Lynch website Welcome to Twin Peaks has confirmed with Criterion that there is a small error in their recent Blu-ray release of Eraserhead – a small video glitch (5 seconds of black where there should be a reaction shot) in the HD image at around 1:05:54 that was apparently present in the original camera negative. Criterion has announced a replacement program."

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » September 24th, 2014, 5:46 pm

What, first no chapter markings, now no film? I hear the next Lynch release is just an empty box. :)

AJM

Postby AJM » September 24th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Has Criterion checked with David Lynch?

It could be that he has decided to reduce the number of gratuitous reaction shots in his films for artistic reasons....

TCG

Postby TCG » September 25th, 2014, 5:43 am

I'm waiting for the Betamax edition!

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » October 21st, 2014, 6:18 pm

I'm not worried about the navigation of these discs.

I per-ordered these and got them right when they came out as a result.

I ran into a couple issues with chapter skipping and sound which I emailed the Dan and Dave site right away about. The issue with chapter skipping was resolved by changing to a different DVD player. I emailed this as well to the Dan and Dave website right away.

When I couldn't correct the sound issue I sent an email on that. That's three total emails over a month ago that I sent on technical issues. I assumed they were quite busy so gave "them" time to reply.

I found out they were aware of the issue by reading the Genii review. It would be nice to receive a reply about the sound issue. A proactive approach once they knew about it would have been a professional way to handle the situation but then again I can see how any mention of it on their site could have hurt sales.

This is more of an annoyance than anything else.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 22nd, 2014, 10:41 am

I just heard from D and D customer service. The sound errors are fixed and the corrected disc was sent back to the replicators, but D and D haven't received the new discs yet.

AJM

Postby AJM » October 22nd, 2014, 11:31 am

Do you know if previous purchasers will receive a replacement disc?

Andrew

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 22nd, 2014, 12:18 pm

AJM wrote:Do you know if previous purchasers will receive a replacement disc?

Andrew

That is my understanding.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » December 8th, 2014, 12:50 pm

No new discs, and no contact with existing customers indicating what's going on?

What's up D&D, it's not like you guys to fall down (as you definitely have here) on customer service?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 8th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I wonder if the producers of this set are notifying all purchasers and offering the update or if they're just creating a small number of fixed disks and putting the onus on the purchaser to speak up and ask for a replacement.

It seems fair to ask whether or not the unsold defective sets were pulled/replaced or if those defective sets are still being offered for sale, errors and all. It would be disappointing, at this late date, to buy a copy that still contained the defects.

Absent any official word, I'm not willing to make any assumptions, but I certainly hope (for the sake of current and potential customers) that the producers have taken the most thorough, customer service oriented approach to getting all the defective sets (sold and unsold) fixed or replaced.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 9th, 2014, 5:31 pm

I've had a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with D&D Industries this week in an attempt to get a status update on the faulty disc.

The individual manning the D&D inbox was rather non-committal on likely timescales for replacement discs and seemed dis-inclined to find out anything more definite from the proprietors.

Poor show indeed.

Cheers

Andrew

(Your Consumer Champion)

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » December 9th, 2014, 8:10 pm

What a let-down from D&D.

This is absolutely the worst type of customer service response to an obviously unacceptable issue related to a very expensive product.

Shame on D&D for their ongoing efforts to sweep this under the rug, and for failing to make any sort of ovation to their loyal customers with a properly functioning replacement.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 9th, 2014, 8:33 pm

From their Web site, dananddave.com/coffee:

Coffee with Dan & Dave is our weekly show, where we answer questions, give product updates, and hold special contests, so you can interact with us on a personal level and learn about something very important to us, as well. Join us on our YouTube channel or our Google+ page for the live show, every Friday at 8AM PST.

Anyone wishing to raise the issue directly can do so this Friday. Maybe this would get a clearer answer.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

artistjohnwoolley
Favorite Magician: Lennart Green

Postby artistjohnwoolley » January 20th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Has anyone heard any news yet regarding the reprinting of the DVD's? At this point I'd appreciate if Dan and Dave would credit us back something for shipping out a $150 item with a defect on it. In-store credit or a gift card would be nice if the DVD's are a no show.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 20th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Nothing to date, and obviously nothing forthcoming.

It's a shame. I would really like to pick-up the DVD/streaming movie combo Our Magic, but based on my experience purchasing the Hollingworth Collection, and the utter lack of customer service (or even acknowledgment of the issue) I can't bring myself to make any further purchases from Dan and Dave.

It's a shame to lose customers this way, and probably impossible to get them back.

Absolutely terrible customer service.

Aaron Sterling

Postby Aaron Sterling » January 20th, 2015, 11:08 pm

FWIW, my copy of Our Magic is gorgeous, and shipped promptly. But I can understand someone not wanting to send a company money if the company still owes them something.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 21st, 2015, 12:25 am

I have no doubt it's a wonderful film, the trailer contains just enough information to demonstrate excellence in the understanding of the subject matter.

As you note though, I can't send more money to somebody who took top dollar from me (and many others) and delivered a faulty product, only to follow up by completely ignoring the issue while hoping it would go away.

I question what might happen if the "on demand" element of Our Magic somehow failed to function properly - I've no reasonable expectation that Dan and Dave would fix it, or care about one of their customers failing to get what they paid for.

It is ultimately all just disappointing from a company from which I expected far better when I sent my CDN$172.00 to them.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 21st, 2015, 8:42 pm

This here's a story about Dan and Dave Buckaroo
Two young brothers with nothin better to do
Than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube
And here is what happened when they decided to cut loose

They opened up a shop in the town of Sonora
Specialized in cards and created a euphoria
They took a trip down to Hollingworth's castle
That's where they ran into a great big hassle

Go on take the money and run

Dan Buck, whoa, whoa, he slipped away
Dave Buck caught up with him the very next day
They got the money, hey
You know they got away
They headed down south and they're still running today
Singin' go on take the money and run

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2015, 9:43 pm

That's pretty narrow minded, Leo, and presumes lots of personal things you don't know as fact.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 22nd, 2015, 2:52 am

Have the fixed the issue and send people out replacement discs yet? Been a while...

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » January 22nd, 2015, 9:05 am

Well done, Leonard!

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » January 22nd, 2015, 10:22 am

I have not heard back from them on a replacement disc. As such, I assume it will not be coming.

Poor customer service. Regardless of the outcome.

I don't intend to purchase from them again.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 22nd, 2015, 12:07 pm

After Will Houstoun's wonderful set of DVDs Modern Magic was released, a serious sound flaw was discovered in the description of one of the tricks. So what did the producers immediately do about that? They posted a fixed version on YouTube. They notified the buyers and they also asked me to publish the URL in my review of the set in Genii.

The result was that no one has complained in a thread with over 100 responses and 12,500 views. The YouTube video was also seen as a marketing tool for the set. The cost to the producers? A little bit of time after the initial embarrassment. I suspect that the positive outcome for Will and Russ Stevens (the producer) was well worth it to them. Frankly, I'm surprised that the techno-savvy D&D did not consider something along these lines. It's not too late to do something like that and it might go along way toward repairing their damaged reputation.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 22nd, 2015, 12:16 pm

Russ Stevens has always been prompt in dealing with any unexpected glitches.

A few years ago one of his DVD products inadvertently had the performer teaching an effect of someone else without permission. Russ immediately recalled all the DVDs and remastered the original without that routine.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 22nd, 2015, 4:31 pm

Roger M. wrote:I question what might happen if the "on demand" element of Our Magic somehow failed to function properly - I've no reasonable expectation that Dan and Dave would fix it, or care about one of their customers failing to get what they paid for.

Do D&D still refuse to offer (as their competitors do) proper "download for offline use" versions of their streams?

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 22nd, 2015, 8:36 pm

To be honest Chris, I don't actually know their process.

I desperately want to see this movie, and I'd presumably find out if I purchased it from them ... but for the life of me I'm feeling so ripped off over the Hollingworth DVD issues that I'll just have to wait until the film is available to view elsewhere, on whatever platform I can watch it on.

In retrospect, I shouldn't be surprised at D&D's customer service, as at around two weeks after I sent them my money, an email I sent them was responded to by their "shipping guy", I was asking if my DVD had been shipped yet as I'd received no shipping notice.
I was quite rudely informed by return email that D&D don't ship every day, and that my expectations were far in excess of what their intent was in terms of shipping the Hollingworth product to me.
I was curtly informed I had to wait my turn, and that there were a number of orders before my own they had to ship before mine did (note that this was two weeks later), and that my expectations of a timely receipt of the DVD's was unrealistic.

The set finally arrived about three and a half weeks after I placed my order, having been shipped from D&D only a few days before arrival in my mail box. I guessed, based on my sets # that they must only have shipped 10 or so DVD sets each day.

So in the end, there appears to be some customer service issues at D&D that spread a little wider than just the Hollingworth DVD authoring errors.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 22nd, 2015, 10:00 pm

Tom Frame wrote:Well done, Leonard!

Thank you Tom! The Steve Miller Band gets the credit. So far, the matter has still been unresolved since October:

Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin, into the future...

AJM

Postby AJM » January 23rd, 2015, 7:19 am

They won't be getting another thin dime from me until they sort this out.

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » January 23rd, 2015, 10:06 am

Non responsive customer service is not terribly surprising as I am not convinced that the twins really want to sell magic to magicians. Looking at the ad on the back cover of the December Genii and their online catalog, they are selling an image of a card handler. They feature $350 close up pads, $150 card wallets and fancy decks. I am convinced that they want to be the Ralph Lauren of magic.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

PickaCard

Postby PickaCard » January 23rd, 2015, 1:32 pm

Fredrick wrote: They feature $350 close up pads, $150 card wallets and fancy decks. I am convinced that they want to be the Ralph Lauren of magic.

Interesting observation. Quite smart on their behalf.. sell very fancy props to amateurs who can dream they are performing like a world famous pro. In reality, skill and not luxury props make the magician. Then again what do I know... I should go back and admire my 5th fancy reprint of expert at the card table, with my EACT T-shirt and other props. One day I will actually read it and maybe even practice some of the sleights.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 23rd, 2015, 3:04 pm

One thing, at least from my point of view, is that I do not want about eight minutes of bad video and suspect customer service to take away from the rest of this incredible set and especially the astounding work of Guy Hollingworth.

Dustin

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 23rd, 2015, 3:16 pm

Roger M. wrote:... I'll just have to wait until the film is available to view elsewhere, on whatever platform I can watch it on.

In light of your previous experiences with the producers of this set, that seems pretty reasonable to me.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on January 23rd, 2015, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 23rd, 2015, 3:24 pm

I was in contact with D & D recently. The customer service person apologized for the extended delay, thanked me for my patience, and assured me I would receive the corrected DVD when it was ready. No timetable was given, but I'll continue to give them the benefit of the doubt, as I believe they'll make good on their promise.
Last edited by erdnasephile on January 23rd, 2015, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 23rd, 2015, 3:28 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:One thing, at least from my point of view, is that I do not want [snip x] of bad [snip X] and suspect customer service to take away from ...

problem of the Curate's egg
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Light From the Lamp”