Carney 2013 Returns!!!

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Carney 2013 Returns!!!

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2014, 9:44 pm

I wanted to mention this in my September review column, but space did not allow it, so I will do so here:

John Carney has released the individual lessons that made up his "Carney 2013" classes.

Purchased individually they will cost you more than what buying them all (which you can still do), but this way you can pick out those lessons that are more to your wants (see my reviews of them all throughout last year for details).

Even at the individual price of just $18 each, I think these are a BARGAIN!

I still say that John Carney is among the best teachers of magic today, and here is an affordable and focused opportunity to take advantage of that.

Here is the site where you can find the details:
http://carneymagic.com/store_carney2013.html

The Revizzit platform has been improved (and continues to be improved), so don't let that scare you away. This is a tremendous series. And now you can "pick and choose." What more can you ask?

Dustin.

PS: I also invite John, if he would like (please), to add any other details he wants to by replying to this post. (Generally JC is very shy about these things believing he is "taking advantage." HA! Please take advantage of us John!)

erdnasephile

Re: Carney 2013 Returns!!!

Postby erdnasephile » July 23rd, 2014, 9:57 pm

This is a terrific series (and with all due respect to Denny, is one of the big reasons I'm glad quality streaming magic instruction exists).

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2014, 10:01 pm

I'd like to see them put out as a set of DVDs myself.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2014, 10:37 pm

John once told me why that would "never" happen, but I've forgotten what that is. I'm now trying to be a "never say never" kind of guy. After all, look what happened when I believed the last guy who said, "Never"!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2014, 12:00 am

John feels it's a piracy issue, but the delivery system is not one that has been embraced by the larger community. I wish John good sales. But I don't buy stuff I can't own. I buy a blu-ray or DVD if I like a movie. I don't watch video on demand.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 24th, 2014, 10:58 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:John feels it's a piracy issue, but the delivery system is not one that has been embraced by the larger community. I wish John good sales. But I don't buy stuff I can't own. I buy a blu-ray or DVD if I like a movie. I don't watch video on demand.

I generally feel the same way.

However, Mr. Carney told me that he has taken steps to ensure that those that purchase will have access to the material in perpetuity even if something happens to him. This made me feel more secure about the purchase. I trust him, and purchased in spite of the need for streaming. It was worth it to me to be able to get access to this material.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 24th, 2014, 11:31 am

erdnasephile wrote:
However, Mr. Carney told me that he has taken steps to ensure that those that purchase will have access to the material in perpetuity even if something happens to him. .

That's no help to the customer who would actually like to be able to access their "owned" video when Wifi (and a Revizzit capable device) aren't available. At this time, no Android app exists, so I wouldn't be able to stream Mr. Carney's videos on my tablet even if I had good wifi access.

I'll continue to give my business to those who don't proactively treat me like a pirate (for instance Josh/Andi of Vanishing inc, who offer both streaming and downloadable versions of their products.)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 24th, 2014, 11:39 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:John feels it's a piracy issue, but the delivery system is not one that has been embraced by the larger community. I wish John good sales. But I don't buy stuff I can't own. I buy a blu-ray or DVD if I like a movie. I don't watch video on demand.

ditto

I'd buy these in a heart beat without the filthy DRM

Nothing stops piracy. This stupid DRM is stopping sales.

Shame

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 24th, 2014, 11:46 am

erdnasephile wrote:[Mr. Carney told me that he has taken steps to ensure that those that purchase will have access to the material in perpetuity even if something happens to him.

What about when the stupid DRM company goes out of business?

Sigh.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 24th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Or what happens when (not if) the DRM agency (Revizzit) has server issues? No access to your videos authorized user!

Before someone says "That won't happen, they have redundant servers, etc.", keep in mind that even huge companies like Google, Amazon, etc. have been known to have outages/service interruptions.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » July 24th, 2014, 12:30 pm

Personally, I would have favored downloadable audio of the Skinner Tapes both to reduce cost and to save the hassle of having to rip the CDs, although this likely would have excluded the video portion. So many people now consume audio using MP3 players that physical media seems antiquated. Digital audio can be burned if desired. Content creators have a daunting challenge of reaching the widest audience possible when there are so many options and piracy is so prevalent.
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2014, 12:48 pm

The download model wouldn't work financially in this case.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 24th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The download model wouldn't work financially in this case.

What makes this case qualitatively different from all the other vendors (like Vanishing Inc.) that offer both high quality downloads and streaming access?

A person (even a non tech person) can easily point any video recording device (camera, phone webcam, screen capture,etc.) at the screen and obtain a watermarked version of Carney's videos.

A magic vendor can realize that truth and (as Josh/Andi have done) optimize customer service and offer those watermarked files directly or (as John has chosen to do) make life more difficult for those who actually purchased the product and would like to use it as they wish (without wifi, on Android, etc.)
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on July 24th, 2014, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 24th, 2014, 1:21 pm

mrgoat wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:[Mr. Carney told me that he has taken steps to ensure that those that purchase will have access to the material in perpetuity even if something happens to him.

What about when the stupid DRM company goes out of business?

Sigh.
Chris Aguilar wrote:
erdnasephile wrote:
However, Mr. Carney told me that he has taken steps to ensure that those that purchase will have access to the material in perpetuity even if something happens to him. .

That's no help to the customer who would actually like to be able to access their "owned" video when Wifi (and a Revizzit capable device) aren't available. At this time, no Android app exists, so I wouldn't be able to stream Mr. Carney's videos on my tablet even if I had good wifi access.

I'll continue to give my business to those who don't proactively treat me like a pirate (for instance Josh/Andi of Vanishing inc, who offer both streaming and downloadable versions of their products.)

Both of your points are well taken and I will not presume to try to defend the notion of copy protection nor the whole Revizzit issue. However, it was a choice Mr. Carney made, which is certainly his right.

My main points were that: 1) I trusted Mr. Carney's explanation--he's never steered me wrong yet and 2) the material proved good enough IMHO that I was able to set aside my natural distaste for non-physical teaching media.

In short, while I would have preferred DVD's/downloadable files, the less than optimal delivery system was not a deal breaker for me personally. YMMV, of course.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 24th, 2014, 1:39 pm

erdnasephile wrote:In short, while I would have preferred DVD's/downloadable files, the less than optimal delivery system was not a deal breaker for me personally. YMMV, of course.

Sure, everyone has to make that call on their own.

Is the quality of the material worth it even light of a broken/lacking/end user unfriendly delivery system?

For you, perhaps. For someone like me (who would like to be able to use the product as if I actually owned it - i.e. without wifi, on my device of choice-android,etc.) it's crystal clear that Mr. Carney is not seeking that potential business. I'm fine with that as it it frees up my meager magic funds to support those vendors (the aforementioned Vanishing inc and others) who value customer service over fears of piracy.

I do think it's fair (in terms of educating potential buyers) to point out the pitfalls of buying via such draconian DRM. I also wish that Mr. Carney would not insist on conflating "streaming only" access with "owning" the material purchased.
Last edited by Chris Aguilar on July 24th, 2014, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » July 24th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Vanishing Inc's digital editions are provided in industry-standard non-DRM format. That's why I buy them. Revizzit, on the other hand, is wrapped in Adobe Air so even aside from the DRM issue you're hoping that Air, as a technology, lives on. No thanks.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 24th, 2014, 3:25 pm

I'll pretend I understand what you are all talking about (I get the gist, just not all of the technical jargon and what it all means).

Mike Caveney will be using Revizzit to release the download edition of Mr. Electric Unplugged as well (my review of it will be in the September issue of Genii).

While I cannot speak for Mike and John, there is an element here that I suspect that they are taking into consideration when they selected Revizzit: It is owned and operated by Nicholas Night (who some of you might remember as "Nicholas Night and Kinga" when he was performing) who is a good friend of them both. I believe they are, as good friends do, helping to support his venture. (In case you think that's all Nick has, think again; there is a lot of other stuff available such as music, etc.).

Again, I cannot say this for certain, but I'll wager my last $2 (a mix of dimes, nickels, and quarters) that this is the reason they chose Revizzit.

By the way, did I mention that Carney's videos are well worth it?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 24th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The download model wouldn't work financially in this case.

Could you explain? Obviously you don't have to, but what is the difference between a downloadable audio file and putting the on a CD apart from the extra cost you incur putting them out on CD?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 24th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:I'll pretend I understand what you are all talking about

Cliff notes: Every movie studio and music publisher and games publisher abandoned DRM years ago because it doesn't stop piracy, it puts off customers and is horrible.

:)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 24th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote: I believe they are, as good friends do, helping to support his venture. (In case you think that's all Nick has, think again; there is a lot of other stuff available such as music, etc.).

Again, I cannot say this for certain, but I'll wager my last $2 (a mix of dimes, nickels, and quarters) that this is the reason they chose Revizzit.

Seems a reasonable, albeit unfortunate, supposition.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » July 24th, 2014, 3:49 pm

At Lybrary.com we sell DRM free ebooks, MP3 and Videos (download and streaming) for 15 years and it has been working very well. We treat our customers like adults and trust that they will play by the rules and observe copyrights.

The pirates we fight differently. We just squashed more than 30 Chinese dealers of thousands of illegal magic download products. We are also clamping down on domestic infringements. None of these actions throw up hurdles for the honest folks. When you start to punish the honest customers in order to go after a small group of pirates you will hurt your business. There are more intelligent ways to fight piracy than to build a system that pretends to be secure. It isn't.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

John Carney

Postby John Carney » July 24th, 2014, 5:05 pm

CARNEY 2013 and Revizzit are not for everyone. It is valuable information that you OWN, it's just not an object or “precious” that you possess. If someone doesn’t think my work and teaching are worth a couple extra clicks, they are not my target audience.

My target audience:
People that are looking for the next best thing to private lessons, from a qualified professional with an impeccable reputation. I’m looking for people who value and respect the art and the artist enough, to jump through a single hoop.

You will own these videos, and have access to watch as often and as long as you wish. I am an honorable person with an impeccable reputation, so I can promise that if Revizzit ever disappears, or a better technology becomes available, I will make good this promise. I have the name of every person who buys the series, and can insure that all will have access, even if it means allowing them to download the original files. I’m not going anywhere.

No wireless signal where you are?
I not sure where you will be might need to be watching these videos, where there is not a wireless signal, but might I recommend stepping a few feet to the left?
Or maybe just study it later.

It will soon be available for Android and iPhone.

I don’t give private lessons, but if I did, I would start at $150 an hour. I am offering 12 hours of lessons on a wide variety of subjects, for $125 (or $18 each) ... I think the lessons are worth much more than that, even if you watched the lessons only once.

I am not just teaching tricks and moves.
I am trying to teach a way of thinking. I offer coaching, advice, and practical experience. I don’t just talk about “theory,” I offer you concrete examples in the routines I share, including: Creativity; Routine Building; Presentation; Misdirection; Technique; History; Building a character; Getting the most from your study and practice.

Contents include:
Mora Ball Routine
The Vanishing Bird Cage Re-imagined
Fixing Fundamentals
Eddie Fechter’s 8 to 12
Four Gone
Time/Space Coin-tinuum
Impromptu Collection
Leon’s Haunted Dollhouse
Choptricks
Commercial Cards
Touches on the Classics
Okito’s Elixir Silk

CARNEY 2013 Demo on YouTube
Contents and Details here:

Testimonials and reviews of CARNEY 2013
If you have any interest in my material and the whole series, you might be wise to listen to recommendations from a few of the people that have actually watched the series, and used the technology:

... a master class ...At first I thought that this was the entire year-long series but then realized it was just ONE SESSION. This entire series is worth its weight in gold and it is priced so reasonably that there is no reason miss out. 

Mike Caveney

I truly feel that I have a mentor guiding me along my magical development. 

Rubén Zamora

The Revizzit platform is easy to use. I personally got more than my money's worth from one lesson, but I have felt that way about each of the lessons. 

Richard Hatch

... easily been one of my best purchases in the last year ... No fluff, no distractions, just solid material and information.

PJ Pinsonnault

... expounds upon that which is essential to good magic ... well produced, worthy of study, and very easy to install/use.

Jeff Siegfried

... an unbelievable value ... destined to become another magical milestone ... I couldn't be happier.
Kevin Hurley

There are poor magic investments, good magic investments, and a truly rare bird, extraordinarily worthwhile magic investments ... this is one of them.

David Regal

I consider him the finest teacher of magic alive today, and this is an opportunity to get affordable one-on-one lessons from him ... a bargain price.

Dustin Stinett

The Deal of the Century.

Larry Wilson

... Great! ... like having John Carney show up at your house each month to give you a personal magic lesson.

Rich Gilbert

I just ENJOY every second. Anybody worth his salt should see, your instruction is priceless.

Alexander de Cova

... allows us to think about the theory that lies under the routines and how we can apply that knowledge to other magic we do.

Marc DeSouza

Carney's lessons are an advanced education into top-notch magical reasoning ... a tremendous bargain.

Jim McCrea

... little touches to improve the routines I already do ... Carney 2013 has left me ecstatic! 

Steve Go

After three of the twelve episodes I have already got more than my money's worth. 
Alexander Crawford MIMC 

The subscription value is excellent and the material and quality of the teaching is first rate.

Pete Firman

Why Revizzit? 
Revizzit technology is a practical solution to bring this material to you. It is actually more user friendly than a typical download. Because of the high video quality, the files are enormous. Many are 300-500MB each. Do you want to store 12 of these on your system? Often large files must be converted to different types of documents, or people cannot unzip, decompress, or otherwise download such large files on every computer platform. They might not have Flash, Adobe Reader, or other software installed.

My customer service has the total satisfaction of all my subscribers. The few glitches with Revizzit have been minor, and handled quickly, as soon as it is brought to my attention. It’s usually as simple as a re-boot and sync.

Revizzit Player is a simple App like iTunes or Windows Media player, that uses the same technology standard Adobe Air technology as your Kindle, allowing you to view videos and eBooks. In 5 minutes you can create an account, install the software and begin watching. The Software is 100% safe, virus and bug free. It does not install any start up programs, and it doesn't "call home" when it's not being used. You can view the videos on up to four different devices.

From a producer/distribution standpoint, I don’t have to pay extra to have 12 different discs replicated, pay for storage of 12 palettes of DVDs, pay for shipping, packing supplies and labor, fill out customs forms, address each order, stand in line at the Post Office, or deal with lost or damaged shipments.

Last, and certainly not least, every book and video I have ever done has already been stolen and uploaded to the web, available for free, without respect, consideration, or profit for me. Revizzit minimizes these crimes, and their fingerprint technology allows me to identify those that do not respect me, or what I offer.

That’s about all you need to know ... I’m going to leave this thread now, and actually work on improving my magic.

John

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 24th, 2014, 5:21 pm

John Carney wrote:CARNEY 2013 and Revizzit are not for everyone. It is valuable information that you OWN, it's just not an object or “precious” that you possess. If someone doesn’t think my work and teaching are worth a couple extra clicks, they are not my target audience.

Nothing to do with clicks, Mr Carney. It's to do with the entire entertainment industry abandoning DRM years ago because IT DOESN'T WORK.

If you want to treat your audience with the supposition they are thieves, that is, of course, your prerogative. If you want to help out your chum trying to sell a DRM system, that's sweet, but realise the entire world, aside from your pal, abandoned DRM years ago, because IT DOESN'T WORK.

I'd pay you double what you are charging for your videos for a DRM free solution. But, of course, you are entitled to sell your content how and where you choose.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » July 24th, 2014, 6:47 pm

John Carney wrote:Revizzit technology is a practical solution to bring this material to you. It is actually more user friendly than a typical download. Because of the high video quality, the files are enormous. Many are 300-500MB each. Do you want to store 12 of these on your system? Often large files must be converted to different types of documents, or people cannot unzip, decompress, or otherwise download such large files on every computer platform. They might not have Flash, Adobe Reader, or other software installed.

On Lybrary.com we sell downloads up to 2GByte (that's 2000MB - 4x the size of the files quoted above) without any major issues. Can there be the occasional download problem? Yes, sure, with large files a number of things can happen, but it happens only 1 out of 500 downloads and so far we were able to resolve every such problem.

John Carney wrote:Revizzit minimizes these crimes, and their fingerprint technology allows me to identify those that do not respect me, or what I offer.

Say somebody would sign up with a fake identity, or worse yet, a stolen identity. This fingerprint system would then implicate somebody else. While it perhaps sounds all great, in fact it allows a real mean person to cloak and hide his real identity and frame somebody else. That means this type of DRM can easily lead to even worse wrong doing than no DRM at all.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 24th, 2014, 7:10 pm

John Carney wrote:No wireless signal where you are?

I not sure where you will be might need to be watching these videos, where there is not a wireless signal, but might I recommend stepping a few feet to the left?

Sacramento.

Let's see...

There's no WiFi in the park (where I often take my lunch) in my car (while my wife is driving) or during that hour+/day I spend on a light rail train to work.

Your use of Revizzit also means that I could not view your videos on my big screen TV or access them without needing to log in to some special app or website (on a supported, authorized device of course.)

This isn't an issue with video from other vendors (e.g. Vanishing Inc., lybrary.com) who value a customer's needs beyond simply parroting "Piracy bad." and limiting access.

So the expectation is that your product would be unavailable to someone like me at the times I would most want to use it.

Nice.

CARNEY 2013 and Revizzit are not for everyone. It is valuable information that you OWN, it's just not an object or “precious” that you possess. If someone doesn’t think my work and teaching are worth a couple extra clicks, they are not my target audience.
You will own these videos, and have access to watch as often and as long as you wish.

Revizzit wrote:When will Android be available?

We are currently in development of our Android app, and hope to have it available in the fall of 2013.

Revizzit promised Android access nearly a year ago and that still hasn't happened.

Even if that app did become available tomorrow, lack of offline downloading would make that access moot for many of us who don't live in that magical 100% WiFi access world you (rather snidely) seem to believe exists.

In terms of file size and local storage, many people have devices with large capacity or that support additional storage(SD or microSD cards, thumb drives, etc.) often making this a non issue.

And, hey, if you actually offered the files (perhaps appropriately watermarked as your competitors do) your customers could use one of the many tools out there(many completely free) for shrinking the videos down for their portable devices.

Why is your product locked to only four authorized devices? It might seem odd to you, but there are many people who have double/triple that number of devices in their home. Once again, the paying customer gets punished.

John Carney wrote:Often large files must be converted to different types of documents, or people cannot unzip, decompress, or otherwise download such large files on every computer platform. They might not have Flash, Adobe Reader, or other software installed.

Nearly every operating system extant (windows, mac, linux, etc) has built in ability to do just about everything you mention (unzip, view videos, download, etc.) Some even have built in flash and .pdf capability (Google Chrome browser, Mac operating system, etc.) Not sure why you'd think this was even worth mentioning./

I wonder why you seem to labor under the impression that a non downloadable watermarked file is any more secure than that same exact video simply recorded off a user's screen? It doesn't take a tech savvy person to point their recording device (phone/tablet/camera/etc.) at the screen and hit "record".

John Carney wrote:That’s about all you need to know ...

Agreed.

The chasm that exists between "I'm Mr. Customer Service" and "That's all you need to know" speaks volumes.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”