Excusing bad writing?

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
performer

Re: Excusing bad writing?

Postby performer » April 5th, 2017, 12:54 pm

I agree the Caryle book was awful for all the reasons you mention as well as the bad writing. I think someone of his stature deserved something better. However, the reason I said the book was "fantastic" was because of the wonderful material contained therein. Perhaps I should have said the material was fantastic but the book itself was awful. I just felt the material justified the adjective.

Robert77

Re: Excusing bad writing?

Postby Robert77 » November 1st, 2019, 2:55 pm

Well, the Roger Pierre book has always seemed to me to be a sort of amateur (authors) experiment. For one thing, it's hand written. I don't have a copy but I'd bet money that the printing in it is not a printed font, but (to be generous), calligraphy. As such it's oversize, which means the book would have been two or three times the size to contain more information. This does not excuse the other problems mentioned by erdnasephile.

I was a young amateur at the time it was written and Roger Pierre was the adviser for our magic club, on top of running a French Restaurant. I was of the impression that the book was a labor of love done by friends and family. While it may have its problems, it has always struck me as a unique sort of book.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”