CARD COLLEGE vols. 5 & 6

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

CARD COLLEGE vols. 5 & 6

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2002, 7:12 pm

Catchy subject, huh? Okay, so these aren't REAL books in the market place, yet, anyway. What I'd like to talk about is what ISN'T in Card College, that YOU think should be. A few things off the top of my head would be: Out Of This World, Mercury/Scarne Card Fold, Between The Palms, Memorized Deck Work, stage effects, and more routines using a combination of sleights. This could make for an interesting discussion. All in all, I'm among the large group that LOVES Card College!

CHRIS

Re: CARD COLLEGE vols. 5 & 6

Postby CHRIS » April 20th, 2002, 7:51 pm

A few months back when I shot the video clips for Card College 1 the ebook at Giobbi's house, Roberto told me a little bit about his philosophy behind Card College.

Card College should not be an encyclopedia of all moves or principles with cards. Roberto spent a long time selecting what he wanted to put into Card College and made many hard decisions leaving certain things out. His selection was partly pedagogically motivated partly his own personal choice and preferences from decades of experience and study.

One could fill another 10 volumes if one wanted to cover all moves and principles such as marked cards, stacks, ... and a zillion of moves and variations thereof.

I very much agree with his thinking. A good teacher must make a selection of what to teach. Otherwise the focus is lost. Once the student has acquired the basics and advanced skills he is ready to find and explore anything beyond that himself.

But who knows, maybe there will be a vol 5 and 6.

Chris.... Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » April 20th, 2002, 11:29 pm

John,
Concerning the effect "between the palms", you CAN find an effect in Card College inspired from this effect:"Trapped in the Future" P.834 Vol.4.

Philippe Nol

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2002, 8:57 am

I hear what you are saying, Chris. But some stuff SCREAMS to be included. Out Of This World, for instance. He says, somewhere in the course, that many consider it the best card trick of the century or something. I wasn't looking to see EVERY sleight included (Yuck). But I think more routines with a combination of sleights and stage effects would round the course out nicely. Anyway, best of luck on the E book version!
Thanks for the reference Philippe. I will check it out!

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2002, 3:48 pm

I don't see why he should put out of this world in the book, it doesn't relate to any of the techniques in the books. It seems to me that the point of the tricks in this book were to demonstrate uses for the moves he was teaching, not to teach good tricks.

Well thats just what I think

Noah Levine

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » April 21st, 2002, 5:27 pm

Noah Levine wrote:
It seems to me that the point of the tricks in this book were to demonstrate uses for the moves he was teaching, not to teach good tricks.
I quite agree, the Card College books are set out to teach well. But he has some wonderful tricks in there.

Invisible Card (from CC 3) is one of my favorite tricks to perform, because it is very clear and well-constructed, with about four or five different effects in succession.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2002, 5:34 pm

I just re read my post let me clarify it. when I said the point was not to teach good tricks I should have said the point was to teach good tricks that used the moves from that chapter and not just to teach good tricks because they are good. There are many good tricks in CC

Noah Levine

M. Sibbernsen

Postby M. Sibbernsen » April 21st, 2002, 6:59 pm

Dave,

Funny you should mention "The Invisible Card". This has quickly become one of my favorite effects to perform either for friends or during a paid performance. The audience involvement is wonderful.

An excellent piece.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 22nd, 2002, 9:43 am

I personally would have enjoyed seeing Dr. Daly's Strike Double Lift and the Kelly Bottom Placement included somewhere in Card College. :cool:

Nathan

Postby Nathan » April 26th, 2002, 11:20 pm

I think Card College is a fantastic series for someone who is serious about a firm foundation with card sleight of hand.

Since you asked, I think there are two moves missing. First of all I think the explanation of a pressure fan belongs in one of the flourish sections. Second I think a discussion of the tabled faro belongs in the faro shuffle section since Giobbi admits later in the book that this is one of his "fairy goodmother" moves.

Postby Guest » June 1st, 2002, 12:58 pm

There will not be a 5 and 6, in one of the books he says that if it were up to his wife (the illustrator) there would only have been two!
James

Postby Guest » June 1st, 2002, 8:21 pm

tricky,
I believe that he promised his wife he would never undertake such a project again, after the first two. Then he did anyway, with the next two. Then he promised AGAIN. Which is why I always thought there may be another two!

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2002, 9:22 am

Can it be true? Did Giobbi really complete volume 5? What's in it? When will it be done in English? And for the really important question: What will be on the spine? We have a club, heart, spade and diamond already!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 30th, 2002, 9:39 am

Volume 5 is now complete and will be published in 2003 by Hermetic Press.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » December 30th, 2002, 1:26 pm

Wow...that's pretty cool. I've always loved the Card College series and I they're a definite leap up from Royal Road. You know what I think would be great? Another book by Jay Sankey. The guy has a TON of great material on video and in notes. I'd love to see another bound volume of his stuff.

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2003, 7:50 am

Just a heads up for everyone, you can read more about volume 5 on Minch's website: www.hermeticpress.com

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » April 19th, 2003, 10:44 am

Originally posted by John Blaze:
When will it be done in English?
You may be interested to know that the English version is actually going to appear before the German one.

I understand from Roberto that the German version of volume 5 is going to be finished in the fall. The English version, on the other hand, is now at the printers.

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2003, 10:45 am

Wow... I'm drooling like an idiot all over my keyboard! Any word on a release date. On minch's site it looks like you can already purchase vol. 5 (Advance?). Any one got the scoop?

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2003, 6:36 pm

It's funny, I was about to post my thoughts on "Invisible Card" in volume 3 in another thread but I see it mentioned here.

This is one of the strongest tricks in my arsenal, and best of all it can be done totally impromptu. I spread the patter out quite a bit. It's amazing the funny lines you can come up with while doing this trick.

One thing, I always tell the spectator to mix up the cards, making sure their card is somewhere in the middle, which avoids doing a biddle steal on the first or last card.

Or, is there another method if their card turns up first or last?

The other trick I really like is "Lucky Coin", which I do using a money clip with a card engraved on one side. I have two identical engraved money clips, one just containg four one dollar bills, and the other with a setup for Fundy 500 or Slow Burn. I start the set with the lucky coin trick leaving the clip on the table (but out of their reach to avoid premature exposure of the bottom, which happened to me a year or so ago.) and the bills on the table within their reach. I then put it all back and pocket the money clip and the four real bills. A bit later in the set, I use my duplicate clip and perform Patric Page's bill trick, Slow Burn or Greg Wilson's Fundy 500, depending on the audience angles. By introducing the clip and real bills earlier in the set, all the heat is taken off the bills during the bill switch trick du jour.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”