LePaul & Steranko Books

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Gene B

LePaul & Steranko Books

Postby Gene B » December 15th, 2002, 12:46 am

I have just acquired "Card Magic of LePaul" & "Steranko On Cards" Any insight or comments regarding these books would be most appreciated.
:cool: Gene Bisson

Re: LePaul & Steranko Books

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2002, 6:10 am

The LePaul book is one of my favorite magic books. (I learned the turn over pass from this book).

He has many solid routines well worth studying. His Torn and restored card is great as well as effects like the reverse card routine and acrobatic aces.

I have the Steranko book as well but I haven't really gone through it. This is the book that inspired Darwin to learn the pinky count.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » December 15th, 2002, 7:10 am

I bought the Le Paul book when I was 15. It was one of the first card books that used many, sequential PHOTOGRAPHS, showing the hands of the actual practitioner (Le Paul) executing the sleights explained by the text. This immediately gave me confidence that the sleights and tricks could be mastered. I mastered, for example, the Turnover Pass and Right-Hand Top Palm from this book. Some sleights, however, required me to see it expertly done by someone else. When I saw Jimmy Nuzzo execute "A Flourish and a Pass," I realized how good and deceptive it could be. There are many excellent effects in this book.

After a brief sabbatical from magic (1959-1964), I returned and started checking out magic catalogues. The first two card books I bought (from Magic Inc.) were STERANKO ON CARDS and THE CARDICIAN. Believe it or not, I was more impressed with the layout, illustrations, and style of Steranko's book. Therefore, I did not read Marlo's book until several months had passed. I thought Steranko was in the vanguard...and in many ways, he was. I learned EVERYTHING in this book and was impressed with the Lateral Palm stuff (So was Lennert Green). I was also inspired by this book to master the Mexican Turnover. Steranko's addition to the Vernon-Christ tabled reverse is brilliant.

Many people think that I don't like Steranko or his work. THIS IS UNTRUE. He was one of my early heroes and his artwork in comics and elsewhere are superb. I have almost everything he has published, including his movie magazines. (We disagree on only one issue.) Otherwise, I always recommend his stuff to serious students.

Onward...

David Regal

Postby David Regal » December 15th, 2002, 11:37 am

What is the one issue upon which you disagree?

Gene B

Postby Gene B » December 15th, 2002, 1:19 pm

Thank you Mark & Jon for your insights. It's always informative to see what others have gotten from a book; which effects have stood the test of time, etc. What better way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon, with a newly discovered magic treasure! :D :D Gene Bisson

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » December 15th, 2002, 6:31 pm

Not only does life occasionally turn on a dime, but many controversies arise because the principal parties never spent any time face-to-face in a room and hashed over the issues, ideas, and contentions. When this does not happen, the controversies are then perpetuated by others, many with dubious stakes and agendas.

I now try to concentrate on the Work.

To David Regal: Until I converse with Steranko face-to-face (which is probably unlikely), it would be unproductive to discuss the "issue" about which we apparently disagree, he more vehemently than I. I can only say that I respect Steranko's work and his exceptional talent.
And I still have a soft spot in my heart for his first book. It fired me up in the 60s. He was (sorta) the James Dean of the pasteboards.

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2002, 8:38 pm

By the way, is "Steranko on Cards" still available? If so, can anyone guide me as to where I can find this book? Thanks!

Roberto

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 15th, 2002, 9:13 pm

Aladdin's Books in Fullerton, California had several copies the last time I was there. Give them a call at 714-738-6115 (they take phone orders).

Dustin

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » December 17th, 2002, 10:09 am

FYI Steranko is still around although he doesn't do a lot of magic .. I know from my friend Marc DeSouza who had Steranko over to his house that he also plays a mean guitar ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 19th, 2002, 6:21 am

"By the way, is "Steranko on Cards" still available? If so, can anyone guide me as to where I can find this book? Thanks!"

It's available for $ 10.00 through Magic Inc. in Chicago and at "magicinc.net".

seraph127

Postby seraph127 » August 8th, 2003, 11:05 am

Magic, Inc should pay you guys a commission, 'cuz you just sold me a copy of Steranko on Cards.

Bastards.

;)

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 8th, 2003, 1:20 pm

I just picked up my copy of SOC at from Denny at the Denny & Lee Magic Studio

Don't know how many copies he has in stock but the price was right: $14.00 including $4 for shipping.

I'm glad to finally have a copy for my library. I will keep me busy until the Bro. Hammon DVDs arrive!

Return to “Light From the Lamp”