Deep Astonishment

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Deep Astonishment

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 20th, 2002, 8:01 pm

Originally posted by Ben Harris:
Hey Jim,

There are THREE new PH effects to come this year. All are excellent. One is SO STRONG it's going re-define the moment of astonishment.
Nice! I can't wait! Eric Mead only said there were two (in addition to DA) coming out this year, over on the Paul Harris/AOA mailing list. Witholding information...sheesh!

Anyway, the "Secrecy Oath" kicks in now. So no more can be said.
And now the "Jealous Guy" kicks in...

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2002, 10:57 pm

I received my new wallet yesterday. As Dennis had mentioned the new one surely had the slot cut just right. The new wallet looks a lot better than the original received. Thanks to the good people at Yendor's Magic for resolving this issue that I had.
By the way, my wife's jaw literally dropped to the floor when her word was found on the cards inside the wallet "but you were using a different colored deck so I know they didn't come from that deck". Great reaction for someone who knows and has seen most everything I do. Thanks again Rodney W. for great service.

Alton

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2002, 7:07 pm

" SUBMIT TIPS" button at www.deepastonishment.com has been fixed. Please submit your tips for "DA" by visiting the site and clicking on "SBMIT TIPS". We appreciate all the tips we have already received and we will publish four more on the site this coming week.

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2002, 6:14 am

Twice now spectators have guessed that as I'm "listening to the cards", I'm actually just looking for 4 aces, 4 2's, 4 3's, etc, to identify their selected card.

Although the second part still blows them away, they think the first part is pretty lame. (In reality, it's lamer than they think!)

How can I find what I'm looking for without appearing to be "counting cards"?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2002, 8:20 pm

DoctorAmazo: practice, practice, practice. It's an old story but true. The more you do the trick the more quickly you'll be able to locate the cards ... and the less you'll have to consult the little cheat sheet. In other words: the less you look down at the Jokers the better. Practice it 100 times and you'll be surprised how much of that little list you'll remember and how quickly you'll be able to locate the required cards. :)
The problem with most dealer items is that they are sold with the line, "No practice required."
Well, if you believe that ....
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2002, 10:18 pm

Right on Richard! I've probably done "DA" more times than anyone else in the world and everytime I do it I'm faster and better at locating the letter cards than the time before. That being said, let me give you a couple of hints on how to cut down on your "search time". When you are talking about the two Jokers and what they tell you about the "soul mate" card use that time to visually locate the position of the first two letter cards in the face up spread (remember in most cases there are at least two cards for every letter so you can find one of the two rather quickly). You can stretch the time here by carrying on a dialog with your volunteer, asking them if they know what these two cards (the Jokers) tell you and then waiting for their reply. If your not too obvious the search for the first two cards will go unnoticed by spectators because they're concentrating on the Jokers. If they should happen to notice it will look to your audience as if your just perusing the spread. Now you are already two cards ahead. As you draw the first and second letter cards and make a brief statement about each you visually locate the third and fourth letters in the spread. Pull those and your done. This is exactly what I do in every performance of "DA" and it speeds up the process dramatically.
Another tip. Take the cue Joker and read it over about 10 to 20 times silently to yourself. You'll be suprised at how much quicker you'll be able to find the letter/card combinations on the Joker. Familiarity breeds success.
Finally there are some tips on the web site www.deepastonishment.com that will help you divert those who say your just looking for the card that's missing. The "Miko" presentation is one. The "Rod's Mnemonic" is another once you've become proficient with it. The "card reading" presentation is another as it gives you more logical time between draws.
I hope that these suggestions help. If you would like to discuss this further PM me or email me from the web site.

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2002, 4:53 am

Thanx guys! I made up a mnemonic deck last night. (I'm letting them dry thoroughly to avoid the yellow "bleed" problem.) But I'm already going over the "tip" text and mentally picking out cards for random words. It's surprising how quickly that goes...and I haven't even used the deck yet!

I figure, as an amateur, I will not be performing DA several times a day; so the easiest system for memorizing the code is the best for me.

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2002, 7:09 pm

Well well well. Here we are. Has the fire died down, or are the pros just not talking? I've been doing my version of this effect all the time. No wallet, no thick cards, etc. I am back (as Rodney suggested), to opposite color cards (instead of blanks), for my prediction cards. And the best news of all, for me, the effect just got better. In the course of actually performing it one night, I saw the light: It is now instantly repeatable!
So let's hear from the rest of you...After some time has passed now, who's using it as written? Who's using a modified handling? Who threw it in a drawer? Who loves it? Who hates it?

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2002, 1:18 pm

Alright, just a quick sidenote.

A young magician performed it for our club, and IT BOMBED. It did so simply because he took so long to cull/pull/remove the cards.

Just a warning: DO NOT perform Deep Astonishment until you have practiced, practiced some more, and then SOME MORE, or you will BORE YOUR AUDIENCE.

Otherwise, it's a great routine.

DonB!

Return to “Light From the Lamp”