New Master's Deck

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Re: New Master's Deck

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 1:12 pm

Originally posted by mrgoat:
Originally posted by Kjellstrom:

People with no hardcore card magic experience and knowledge will never think like you Mr Goat, thats my experience when I perform in the real world and not just for my mom or a mirror as it sounds like Mr Goat does...
Sorry, not really sure how to react to such a very rude and uncalled for, inaccurate attempt at a flame.

But I could never find myself in an argument with a man who wears jackets like yours.

http://www.kjellstrom.info/media/mats_k ... m_2006.jpg [/QB]
This is made by Korean Velvet with gold thread, looks better in real life, the gold shines and works like "misdirection" i nthe spotlight. The photo was taken in Thailand Feb 2006 in a very hot studio.

I have many different jackets for different settings...

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 1:20 pm

I have many different jackets for different settings... [/QB]
Oh we know.

They are the mark of a true hardcore card man. You can actually tell the real hardcore cardmen at the Magic Castle solely from the fact they all wear shiny jackets that were briefly fashionable for about 4 hours in the late seventies.

It wasn't until Derek del Gaudio pointed this out to me over dinner that I realised.

Thanks Derek!

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 1:27 pm

I tried dull and boring black jackets and tuxedos for many years but when I changed to shiny and colorful jackets my clients started to talk about me.

One client told me, recently: you are the first magician that has real stage cloths. The last magician we had was wearing just a black shirt and dark jeans...

But, when I do low budget shows I perform nude.
If they want my shiny jackets it costs extra !!!

Watch my silver jacket:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgOEm-Mnt-Q
A tiny show, just 50 people.
I think we are going out of topic, hmm...

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 1:32 pm

I tried dull and boring black jackets and tuxedos for many years but when I changed to shiny and colorful jackets my clients started to talk about me.
I don't doubt that for a split second.

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Geez guys! How'd we get so far off topic in a few posts?
Well, I'll tell you how I feel about those new decks; tiger, ghost, vintage, ect... I would NEVER EVER perform with them (unless I'm using only one card for an unusual color change or something... which I've never done but...who knows, on day...)but I absolutely LOVE them! They look beautiful and I love the way most of them handle. I fool around with them but that's it.
Of course, laymen would immediately assume they're trick cards... So, I leave them behind when I leave the house.
Just a thought, for what it's worth...

Seb

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 4:58 am

Originally posted by Seb Talbot:
Geez guys! How'd we get so far off topic in a few posts?
Well, I'll tell you how I feel about those new decks; tiger, ghost, vintage, ect... I would NEVER EVER perform with them (unless I'm using only one card for an unusual color change or something... which I've never done but...who knows, on day...)but I absolutely LOVE them! They look beautiful and I love the way most of them handle. I fool around with them but that's it.
Of course, laymen would immediately assume they're trick cards... So, I leave them behind when I leave the house.
Just a thought, for what it's worth...

Seb
Well clearly *you* don't own a sparkly jacket then. ;)

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 10:09 am

Funny thing, some years ago I did some gambling card tricks with a borrowed deck of cards.
Some strong routines by M. Nash and D. Ortiz ...
After the they thought I used a "special" deck?!?
They never recalled that I used a borrowed deck, pretty funny. Can you draw any conclusion from this scenario?

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 10:39 am

Funny thing, some years ago I did some gambling card tricks with a borrowed deck of cards.
They never recalled that I used a borrowed deck, pretty funny. Can you draw any conclusion from this scenario?
Did you have your sparkly pimp jacket on at the time? If not, then they would have concluded you weren't a hard core card guy and hence may have dismissed your knuckle busting technique as little more than a stripper deck.

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 11:11 am

mrgoat; you seem to have got wound up over Mr Klejjestrom's wardrobe. He likes shiny jackets. so what. I'm sure there are plenty of high class entertainers in other fields - e.g. juggling - who wear shiny jackets. I can't think of any names right now, but I'd guess they must be there. Besides, what you haven't picked up on is, what I think to be the key theme to Mr Kjlsestom's posting - which is the idea of using clothing as misdirection. In the last century Slydini revolutionised our approach to misdirection. Why shouldn't Mr Keljstsrom do the same for this century? I, for one, look forward to L&L's four DVD set "Misdirection by Clothing" by Mr Ksejjllom which could transform our art.

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 11:13 am

Did you have your sparkly pimp jacket on at the time? If not, then they would have concluded you weren't a hard core card guy and hence may have dismissed your knuckle busting technique as little more than a stripper deck.
Come on Mr.Goat, next you'll be making fun of my aluminum pants...

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 11:32 am

Originally posted by Seb Talbot:
Come on Mr.Goat, next you'll be making fun of my aluminum pants...
You know aluminum pants are the mark of an expert Rocky Racoon handler. How could I mock you or your pants?

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 11:34 am

Originally posted by Dom:
mrgoat; you seem to have got wound up over Mr Klejjestrom's wardrobe. He likes shiny jackets. so what. I'm sure there are plenty of high class entertainers in other fields - e.g. juggling - who wear shiny jackets. I can't think of any names right now, but I'd guess they must be there. Besides, what you haven't picked up on is, what I think to be the key theme to Mr Kjlsestom's posting - which is the idea of using clothing as misdirection. In the last century Slydini revolutionised our approach to misdirection. Why shouldn't Mr Keljstsrom do the same for this century? I, for one, look forward to L&L's four DVD set "Misdirection by Clothing" by Mr Ksejjllom which could transform our art.
I didn't think of it like that. Thanks for opening my eyes to possibilities.

Damian

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2007, 11:51 am

Considering that every working close-up magician I know has cards signed, and therefore is likely to use a new deck every night, I suspect they will stick to regular bikes.

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2007, 12:54 pm

Originally posted by mrgoat:
[b] Funny thing, some years ago I did some gambling card tricks with a borrowed deck of cards.
Did you have your sparkly pimp jacket on at the time? If not, then they would have concluded you weren't a hard core card guy and hence may have dismissed your knuckle busting technique as little more than a stripper deck. [/b]
Pimp? Im not sure what this is, we dont have that word in sweden. But, It sounds like you work in an very interesting business. Are you a pro pimp or ? I prefer the world of magic.

Postby Guest » February 1st, 2007, 2:40 pm

Pimp? Im not sure what this is, we dont have that word in sweden. But, It sounds like you work in an very interesting business. Are you a pro pimp or ? I prefer the world of magic. [/QB]
I remember answering this question for you March of last year, the last time it came up. While I can't speak Swedish, I ound an explanation by someone who can
Pimp r en hallick. Pimps r knda frn 1970-talets USA. De gick omkring i platskor?, lnga frggranna rockar med pls fastsytt lngst ut och som kronan p verket hade de en fjder i hatten och gick omkring lite kaxigt (om de gick, pimpar brukade kra omkring i de senaste sportbilarna).
They sometimes wear quite striking clothes, in hopes of making people think that they're respectable entertainers like yourself.

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2007, 8:01 pm

Highly amusing.

This topic has it all- Awful outfits, childish remarks, Pimping, and a goat.

Nordatrax votes it best topic of the week!

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2007, 9:01 pm

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 3rd, 2007, 2:12 am

[b] Kjellstrom wrote:
... After the they thought I used a "special" deck?!? They never recalled that I used a borrowed deck, pretty funny. Can you draw any conclusion from this scenario?
[/b]

Actually, yes. As Vernon and others have written it is important to establish the opening and closing states of a magic effect if the audience is to perceive that anything magical has taken place.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2007, 5:33 am

I avoid sparkly jackets now. The last time I wore one, and turned to get something from my close-up case, everyone started dancing as they thought I was a glitter ball.

Postby Guest » May 29th, 2007, 2:18 pm

Someone kindly pointed out this thread in connection with my query about modern-day playing card quality versus playing cards manufactured in the "good old days."

I know nothing about card quality, but here's something I posted in another GF thread which may be of interest (slightly edited to make sense for this thread).

I had the chance to speak briefly with an old friend who is a magician and has written and published several magic books, but more importantly for this discussion, he was involved for several years in playing card manufacturing. He overwhelmed me with many facts and subtleties of card manufacturing and quality, but heres the essence of what he said (or at least what I believe he said):

Generally, the highest quality, modern playing cards are every bit as good as the best examples of the cards of old, and perhaps even a bit better, given todays technologies. There were poor quality cards back then, as there are now, whether due to the use of inferior materials and production methods, or due to poor quality control.

As for the superior memory of the old faro cards, my friend agrees, but noted that faro cards simply arent made nowadays, and if they were, a modern-day manufacturer could produce cards every bit as good as the old faro cards. Faro cards were (and would be today) a specialty item, and were manufactured with two plys, each ply running perpendicular to the other they were specifically designed and manufactured for the all-important purpose of laying (and staying) flat, thus the great memory. Even the best cards of today are not manufactured with the grain of the card stock plys running perpendicular to each other. So, from what I gather, one cant fairly compare the old faro cards to modern cards due to the fundamentally different nature of their manufacture.
Clay

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2007, 11:58 pm

I have both red and blue Bicycle Masters. A pack does fit into a normal Porper card clip with a bit of a squeeze and both come with a replacement regular ace of spades as well as the Beezer ace. The one thing I don't like much is the color of the blue backed Master Cards. They are a lighter blue than ordinary bikes and look a little too washed out for my taste.

Regards,

Paul H

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2007, 5:29 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Master Deck's won't be for sale to the public. They're a special run that ellusionist has paid for.
Well, I just picked up a pair from a toy store, from the regular playing card rack... so "not for sale to public" open to interpretation.

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2007, 11:25 am

The Ellusionist Black Tiger decks can now be found for sale at Books-a-Million ($6.99 each).

When these types of cards are up for sale to the general public, it makes me wonder ... who would pay $7 for a deck of black backed cards when a red or blue backed deck goes for $3?

Return to “Light From the Lamp”