NEW Michael Close e-book

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Michael Close

Re: NEW Michael Close e-book

Postby Michael Close » June 23rd, 2004, 9:58 am

Most of the routines in CGS were designed for my work in the Houdini Lounge, a venue that allowed me a more leisurely pace plus the use of a table. There are some routines and ideas that can easily be used in strolling (ie, cocktail party) venues, but that is not the focus of the book.

Incidentally, Steve Bryant has posted a review of CGS on his excellent site The Little Egypt Gazette. Here is the link:

http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html

Best

M. Close

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2004, 10:47 am

Re: Nathan's post on the Osterlind Stack.

Doesn't the Osterlind Stack also require a calculation to get to the next card in the stack? The Stebbins stack reduces any calculations greatly because of a pattern that is easily translated within our heads (values of three and suit formation). The Osterlind Stack requries more mental gymnastics. The Aronson/Tamariz/any truly memorized deck requires the same amount of calculation (if any) to get to the next card. If you are really adept with a memorized deck, you don't even need to calculate, it is automatic. Thus I think memorizing a deck is the way to go. You get the benefit of cyclical stacks and a memorized deck all in one. Of course there will be disagreement but I am trying to understand why a cyclical stack seems to always pop up in conversation when a memorized deck has unique features that are advantageous.
btw, I agree with all of Simon Aronson's and Mike Close's opinions on memorized deck magic. Algorithmic methods don't give you the power of a memorized deck. In order to do many of the core effects using the memdeck, you need to know the stack cold. The only advantages of an algorithmic method are as a fall-back plan in case you "forget" on stage (incidentally, if you are worried about this then forget about memdeck work in general) and as a method of "counting" procedures where you only need to know the last card counted and then you can translate the value(see effects like Berg's Immaculate Perception or Dyment's Immoderate Deception).

You are free to disagree with these points but I have thought long and hard about the merits of particluar stacks and their systems and decided on Aronson's because of the concept of a true memorized deck without calculation, number of items already in print, number of built in poker deals and production sequences (see Try the Impossible) and because magicians are familiar with the stack so that any stooging can be an option. Furthermore, with Tamariz' works being released in English this year I think the Aronson stack will be less "in vogue" as Simon puts it, and provide at least a better level of exclusivity.

And as for Mike Close's new work. Hands down the best purchase this year. The best e-book I have ever seen and some of the most well thought-out written routines in print. Congrats on this publication.

These were jsut a few thoughts swirling around in my head for awhile.

mormonyoyoman

Postby mormonyoyoman » June 24th, 2004, 10:05 pm

My apologies if my spoof post hurt any feelings. Every so often, without my intending it, I fall into my old lampoon mode. No insults were intended - I've never lampooned anyone I didn't respect and like (and I have the utmost respect for Michael Close and his work -- This is the guy who came up with the first sensible substitute for the magic want, after all!), but just because I have a twisted sense of humour is no excuse to display it. Especially without some disclaimer.

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2004, 3:09 pm

Mike,

I was wondering-- do you have any recommendations on QUICKLY doing math in your head? (This is what strikes fear into my heart.) When you're performing the calculations for memorized deck work, is your thinking (reasoning) exactly the same way you wrote it in CGS, or have you evolved past that point such that the calculations just occur automatically (without having to reason it through)?

thanks,

-- Frank

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 25th, 2004, 11:08 pm

I would suggest two avenues for tackling this problem.

The first approach is to get in touch with your inner child and relearn (or learn for the first time) how to subtract in your head. Of course, you know how to do it, you just cant do it fast, and the reason you cant do it fast is because you dont practice it. Heres a way to practice.

1. Shuffle up a deck of cards. Turn the top card face up. Well pretend that that card is on the bottom of the deck (lets say its the 6 of Diamonds).
2. Turn the next card face up. Suppose its the 3 of Spades. As quickly as you can, solve the following problem: How far down in the memdeck is the 3 of Spades if the 6 of Diamonds is on the bottom?
3. With Simons stack this is an easy one. The 6 is 49th, so there are 3 cards on top of the 3 of Spades (stack number 17), so the 3 is currently at the 20th position.
4. Now reverse the question. If the 3 of Spades is on the bottom, what is the position of the 6 of Diamonds?
5. Now we need to subtract. 17 from 49 is 32. The Six is at the 32nd position.
6. Repeat with the next two cards and continue through the deck.

I guarantee that if you run through a shuffled deck once a night for two weeks youll remember how to subtract in your head.

The second method is based on positional awareness, and this is the way I think of the memdeck. The first step to learning this is to think about whether a particular card lies in upper or the lower half. Shuffle up a deck. Now deal the cards face up into piles. One pile contains stack numbers 1-26, the other stack numbers 27-52. The idea is to only conjure up the stack number if you have to. When you deal through try to visualize the stack rather than using the stack numbers. Do this many times until you can do it quickly.

Now, think about the deck as if it were divided into thirds. The break points would be at 17 and 35. Shuffle the deck. Deal the cards into three piles, depending on whether the card is in the upper third, the middle third, or the bottom third. Repeat many times.

Do the same exercise, but think of the deck divided into quarters (13-card groups) and fifths (10-card groups). I guarantee that by the time you do these exercises for two weeks youll begin to have a feel for where one card lies in relationship to another.

Now practice the same exercise as I explained above, but instead of subtraction, think about relationships. For example, I just grabbed two cards at random, The Jack of Clubs and the Eight of Hearts. The Eight lies in the lower fifth of the stack, the Jack is in the fifth just above it. Since each fifth contains 10 cards, if the Eight is on the bottom I need to cut about twenty cards from bottom to top get the Jack near the top. (Lets check this with subtraction. 46-33=13, so a 20-card group is a little heavy, but is still correctable. I could have refined my relational estimation by remembering that the Eight lies a few cards up from the bottom of its 10-card group while the Jack lies a few cards down from the top. In this case we could estimate that we should cut about 15 cards to the top. This brings us much closer.

If we reverse the situation and assume that the Jack is on the bottom, we know that the Eight lies in the group just below the Jacks group. Again, using the same estimation guide as above we would cut about 15 cards from top to bottom. This would bring us to an easily correctable situation.

Im sorry this post is so long winded. Hope it helps.

M. Close

Steve Cohen

Postby Steve Cohen » June 26th, 2004, 7:59 am

Michael,
Thank you for teaching these wonderful drills for the memorized deck.
-Steve

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 26th, 2004, 8:44 am

First-rate advice, Mike. Many thanks.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2004, 7:19 pm

Nathan Coe wrote:

... I will say that I disagreed with your comments about the relative merits of progressive systems (Osterlind, 8 kings et alia) v. those of a memorized stack...you were comparing them as if they were different approaches to achieving the same end -- they seem, to me, to be distinct tools which each serve a distinct function more effectively than the other.

As Mr. Osterlind points out in his manuscript on the Breakthrough System; when using (say) the Aronson stack to determine the next card in a sequence one first glimpses the key, then determines the stack number of the key, then subtracts or adds 1 to this stack number, then converts the resultant stack number into the identity of the target card. With a progressive system the performer 1.) glimpses the key, 2.) determines the identity of the object card.

It would seem, from this analysis, that a progressive system is a more efficient choice for routines that require the determination of the very next card in the sequence (card calling and rapid memorization demos, the corinda problem etc.) while a memdeck is ideal for situations requiring the control of any named card or the placement of any card in a known position.

I will admit that I perform frequently with the Osterlind system and have yet to memorize a stack -- so its quite possible that the determination of a subsequent card in a memdeck is more efficient in practice then this analysis makes it sound...
I want to assure you, from someone that uses a memorized deck that the theoretical process outlined by Richard Osterlind and summarized above is NOT what experienced users of a memorized deck do. The mnemonic associations are only used initially to memorize the deck, but those associations wither away as you work with the deck. Yes, I can tell you the stack number of every card, and given the stack number, I can tell you the card. But, I just remember that. I no longer remember the associations I used to learn them.

However, to determine the next card in the Aronson Stack, the stack numbers are not involved at all. I know that the Six of Hearts follows the Ten of Hearts. Period. I know it. It's in my memory bank. It is a separate set of memories from the stack numbers and I am not dependent on remembering the stack numbers to simply name the next or previous card.

Another common misconception: The Breakthrough Stack and the Memorized deck are different tools for different jobs and they are therefore separate but equal. This is not true. The Breakthrough System can only do one job. It can tell you the adjacent card (either before or after) if you know the identity of a card. That's what it was designed for. As Osterlind has demonstrated, some very powerful and entertaining routines can be constructed using this tool. But as a tool, it's limited. The Breakthrough System is like a good sharp pocket knife with one blade. A memorized deck, however, is like a Swiss Army Knife. It can determine the identity of the two adjacent cards, just as the Breakthrough System does. In fact, it's my contention that a memorized deck can do this task faster than the Breakthrough System.

Richard Osterlind disagrees and has challenged me to a contest to see which is faster. I've accepted the challenge, and when we are both in the same place at the same time, we'll have our little "shootout." Perhaps Richard will defeat me. I really don't think so, but that's certainly possible. But if I do lose to him, it doesn't affect my next point at all.

I don't think that's there's any disagreement over the fact that a memorized deck can do a whole lot of other things as well. You can determine the identity of cards at any distance away from a known card. It's fast and easy to know what the card ten cards away is, or 34, or any number. That enables the user to do many, many things that are not possible with the Breakthrough System.

One of the very best memdeck routines is Mike Close's "The Luckiest Cards in Las Vegas." It's in his new ebook. That trick is easily worth far more than the cost of the book for memdeck users that will learn it and use it.

It you do card tricks and want to really learn a whole lot about how effective routines are put together and the how and why of presenting effective card magic, you need this book in your library. There are a lot of great tricks in it, yes. But even if you don't do any of the specific tricks, you will be a much better magician because you studied this book.

Dennis Loomis

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2004, 11:43 am

Thanks for the calculation tips, Mike! This is great information (maybe it can be added to your next book :) ).

-- Frank

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2004, 6:06 pm

It's kind of late, but here's a bit of Mac advice.
Mr. Close wrote:

On the Mac the way to open the pdf file is to open Reader first, and then use the "Open" command and navigate to the pdf file. I just had some correspondence with a fellow who ran into problems with my In Review CD-ROM (which was created with Acrobat 5.0). If you just click on the pdf file, the Mac launches something called "Preview," and that can cause problems.
There are a couple of easier ways!
1. If you hold the Control key and click on the file (the Mac version of "right-click"), a pop-up menu appears allowing you to choose the application you want to open the file.

2. If you click once on the file and choose "Get Info" (command-I), you can choose the desired application, and set that application (Acrobat Reader, in this case) as the default to open all files of that format in the future with just a double click. No more Preview!

I'm running OS X, but I expect the process is similar with older versions of the Mac OS as well.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 28th, 2004, 7:32 pm

Im getting ready to head out on the red-eye to Cleveland for the I.B.M convention. If youre planning on attending that get-together be sure to say Hi. Ill be hanging out at Aldo Colombinis booth in the dealers room. Ill be demonstrating some of the effects from Closely Guarded Secrets.

Best

M. Close

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 28th, 2004, 8:24 pm

Subtract in my head? I don't have fingers and toes in my head. ARgh... :cool: :eek: :cool:
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 4th, 2004, 4:41 am

Michael Closes Closely Guarded Secrets would have been an excellent candidate for Book of the Month if not for the simple fact that this thread exists. So for me to start another, of course, would be futile: this thread has everything but my thoughts on the book. So now you are about to read those thoughts as if this were a BoM choice. Youve been warned.

Im not going to go too much into the EBook aspect of CGS and my opinions of EBooks in general (however, if you are interested in those thoughts, please go here: http://lybrary.com/why.php to read themthey follow Chris Wasshubers essay). I think of those who have read my ramblings in the past understand that I am a book guy. However, I have warmed to the notion of EBooks and I believe that CGS is representative of the future of magic publications. Maybe not my future; just the future.

During my magic lifetime (a tad over 35 years) magic publishing has experienced two major paradigm shifts. When I started buying magic books in earnest (a nice way of saying out of control), most new publications were usually paperback. Generally octavo in size, perfect bound, stapled or comb bound affairs, many with questionable production valuesbut they were quite affordable ($5-$15). There was the occasional hardbound book (at premium prices, about $15-$25), and many of the older books (those not yet reprinted by Dover) were hardbound as well. But the majority of the new stuff was inexpensively produced (keep in mind that there were, of course, many exceptions).

Sometime in the late 1970s somebody got the wild notion that magic books could be bettera lot better: Quarto in size, quality boards and acid-free paper with prices that matched this premium level of quality. Pretty soon everyone was in the big-book, big-price ($35-$45) business. Hardbound books in the $25 to $30 range were bargains! Paperbacks at $20 were steals since thats how much lecture notes were beginning to cost.

Now books in this price range are cheap. We had become accustomed to paying $40 to $50 for a good book when the next change occurred: bigger, better, deluxe. Somebody else decided that we would be prepared to pay $100 (give or take a 20) for a quality booksometimes more. Trade editions routinely sell for $50 to $100 while their deluxe, slip-cased and signed/numbered counterpartsthe must have editionssell for at least twice the price. Some of these books are mammoth in size; many hundreds of quarto size pages with color plates and work-of-art dust jackets worthy of framing. And the publishers were correct: we shelled out the cashwillingly, sometimes wantonly.

There are, of course, reasons for this major price escalation, but one in particular stands out: For centuries, the only way magical information could be disseminated (beyond a personal relationship with a teacher) was through the printed word. Video changed all that and DVDs have made videotape nearly obsolete. Simply put, books have become a hard sell. Publishers are producing and selling fewer units, therefore they have to price their works higher and in order to justify that, the books have to be perceived as high-end in terms of production values, size and/or content. Most of the time they are and some of the time, well, two out of three aint bad.

Somewhere during the big era and into the transitional period to bigger, desktop publishing snuck in. Anyone with a PC could publish their contributions to magic. Much of the time we would wonder why they bothered. Other times we thanked our lucky stars they did bother (with some of us privately wishing they hadnt).

We are lucky when someone like Michael Close is compelled to share his contributions with us. Its widely known that one of the reasons Mr. Close released his Workers series was to get his work into the printed record before someone else chose to do it for him. Its quite possible he really didnt want to do it: its just that he realized that he had to do it. So we become the beneficiary of this paradox. But we are also very lucky that Michael Closes character and his love ofand sense of responsibility tothe art of magic prevented him from taking the low road of simply publishing his tricks (effect & method only). This would have satisfied the printed record issue and, frankly, he probably would have sold just as many books. But this would not have satisfied his sense of duty. Since he had to do it, he chose to do it thoroughly: every possible aspect of the magic shared in the Workers books was offered up; nothing was held back. Included with the magic are some of the most lucid essays ever written on the myriad of subjects that he covers. Combined, the five Workers books may very well be the most focused lessons in magic ever published. Closely Guarded Secrets takes up where Workers left offand then some.

The Times They Are A-Changin.

It would have been very simple for Michael Close to call his latest work Workers Six and then publish it with the same production values as the previous five. However, to do so would have meant that Mr. Close would have chosen the low road and he has already shown us that this is not in his character. CGS is as much about evolution as it is about Mr. Closes latest performance pieces and this evolution touches every aspect of this book: the effects, the thinking; the production values and the medium in which they are all captured.

In regard to that medium, the book purists out there, though perhaps a bit miffed by the necessity to print it themselves, will be very pleased with the final product. Those with the pragmatic (and I believe correctly held) belief that video can be a valuable subsidiary tool when learning sleight of hand will be pleased with the amazing imbedded videos. For those who think they can learn only from video, well, bummer. Youll have to wait and see if Mr. Close releases this material on DVD. In the mean time, the rest of us will benefit from the lessons and the material included in this EBook. But keep in mind that since not everything shared here in print could possibly be included on a DVD, you will short-change yourself. That would be a shame since there is so much here that can enrich the growth of any student of the art. Even in the case, like me, that you cannot find one trick (out of the many very good ones) here that you plan to add to your repertoire (and this is perhaps the highest complement I can give any book) you will find that the true value of this book is not the tricks, but the substance that is behind every one of them.

Reading through each piece is requisite if you wish to garner everything you can from this book. Skipping an effect because it doesnt interest you or is beyond your level of expertise could mean missing valuable lessons on multiple levels of magical thinking that can be applied immediately to the magic you already do. Years of experience on what to do in many given situations which are common to many magic tricks are offered hereOne simply cannot put a price on that, and all the reader has to do is recognize those given circumstances and apply the lessons. For example, should you skip any one of the first three effects you will miss a lesson in the construction of a set of tricks: The blending three individual effects into one cohesive performance piece without ever saying And for my next trick (or anything even suggesting that vulgarity).

Many of these lessons are in the application of timing patter with technique (Mr. Close is a devotee of the Erdnase admonition of changing the moment), but for him it goes beyond just saying something (or cracking a meaningless joke) at the right time to cover technique: Its about meaning and logic. Some of the most powerful misdirection in magic is when that misdirection is something so natural that it is innocuous. The amount of thought and effort Michael Close puts into the seemingly ordinary (in the minds of the audience) is extraordinary and he freely shares the fruits of that effort time and again in CGS.

To lift magicall magicout of the realm of puzzles, an emotional hook is needed. One of the things we learn here is that, besides something interesting about the trick (the story, the circumstances, etc.), the emotional hook must also be the performerparticularly in close-up situations. If your audience likes you and/or can relate to you, they will give you miles of latitude. This is exactly why good performers can successfully do card tricks for people who otherwise hate card tricks. Puzzles become magical and the challenge aspect of some effects goes unnoticed. Throughout CGS we see how Mr. Close hooks his audience. Though he uses gambits such as winning at gambling, these strategies are always bolstered by the audiences interest in him.

Years of technical expertise and finesse is also revealed in CGS in the On Sleights section. Like most great performers, Mr. Close chooses the technique that gets him where he wants the effect to take his audience. If this means a palm or using a pass is the best tool, he uses it. But he doesnt use a sleight just for the sake of using the sleight. In fact, one of his best pieces of advice in regard to learning sleight of hand appears early in the book and is a testament to one of the many subtexts that run throughout this book: this one being the subtext of focus.

A Michael Close book (E or otherwise) would not be complete without an essay or two. Though the introduction covers aspects of the medium he chose to publish the book, there is also food for thought in the reaffirmation of Mr. Closes firmly held belief of what magic is to him (and thus to his audience). And while short, in On Venue and Evolution Mr. Close shares more valuable experience that could otherwise only be learned through personal trials (and if there is trial there must be error). Pay attention and you can save some of what is the most precious commodity we all have: time.

In keeping with the subtext of evolution, there are two sections in this EBook that are a departure for Michael Close: a section devoted to fooling only other magicians and a section of Pipedreams: untried ideas that have merit and might get your creative juices flowing. But a personal word of caution: If you do expand on any of these ideas and create something you feel worthy of dissemination, dont forget where you got the idea and take the appropriate (and ethical) steps prior to doing so.

I must confess that the penultimate section on Dean Dills Box made my stomach sink. Not because it was included (I understand his reasons for doing so), but because of the similarity some of the introductory patter I came up with for the piece has with that given here (keeping in mind that I have never seen Mr. Close perform his version). The upside is that I cannot be accused of stealing (since his is now published), but the downside is that I will be seen as unoriginal and the very unattractive fact that others will be doing his piece; its that good. (For the recordfor those keeping scoreI talk briefly about the Fox sisters and the Davenports and their cabinet).

To close out the EBook, the author revisits (some briefly, some more extensively) several of the pieces that appeared in the Workers series. Two things in particular caught my attention. First, I am curious about how many magicians went running to their shelves to scour through 20 years of Apocalypse indexes (youll have to buy the EBook to find out what Im talking about, as long as no one else spills the beans). Second, and most interesting to me, is that Mr. Close never specifically mentions any of the several superb essays that appeared throughout the Workers series. I see this as an affirmation of my belief that he got it right the first time.

Closely Guarded Secrets is a triumph in terms of content as well as medium. Though not the first of its kind, I believe CGS will be recognized as the rocket that propelled (from the launching pad of the e-version of Giobbis Card College 1) magic publishing into a new era. Yes, the times they are a-changin.

Dustin

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 4th, 2004, 8:14 pm

I'm currently teaching magic at a camp in the Pocono Mountains and have limited time on the 'net -- so I won't be able to contribute to the conversation about the relative benefits of mathematical systems and the memorized deck, other than to thank Michael and Dennis for their informed contributions.

A selfish part of me doesn't want to mention the following, as I am considering attending and fewer participants would make for a stronger clinic for those who make it...but...

Those who may be interested in a few intense days working with Michael Close and Jamy Ian Swiss on applications of, tools for use with, and theory underlying the memdeck..take a gander at www.card-clinic.com

best,

Nate.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » July 25th, 2004, 12:10 pm

John Carney graciously consented to review Closely Guarded Secrets for the August issue of MAGIC magazine. You can find that review here:

http://www.michaelclose.com/MMreview.html

My thanks to everyone for the kind words and support of this project.

Best

M. Close

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » September 16th, 2004, 10:17 am

Several months ago I posted this:

As Mr. Osterlind points out in his manuscript on the Breakthrough System; when using (say) the Aronson stack to determine the next card in a sequence one first glimpses the key, then determines the stack number of the key, then subtracts or adds 1 to this stack number, then converts the resultant stack number into the identity of the target card. With a progressive system the performer 1.) glimpses the key, 2.) determines the identity of the object card.

It would seem, from this analysis, that a progressive system is a more efficient choice for routines that require the determination of the very next card in the sequence (card calling and rapid memorization demos, the corinda problem etc.) while a memdeck is ideal for situations requiring the control of any named card or the placement of any card in a known position.
What a load of horsesh*t!

I've just learned the Mnemonica stack (the process described by Tamariz is unbelievably efficient -- two days and I know the stack (though there is still occasional hesitation on some cards)).

Michael Close, and others, are dead on about the superiority of a stack vs. system. It is obvious, but I think I was resisting because I had put a lot of work into the Osterlind System and find its ingenuity beautiful -- tossing it away was a bit like rejecting a lover.

In addition to the MAJOR advantage of being in control of the entire deck rather than the next card, I feel much more confident with the stack because I know that in the heat of the moment an error in arithmetic won't (always) destroy the effect...it is like having a weight lifted from off of my chest.

Dr. Zola was right.

regards,

Nathan.
IllusionArtistry.com

Return to “Light From the Lamp”