NEW Michael Close e-book

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Steve Snediker

Re: NEW Michael Close e-book

Postby Steve Snediker » May 29th, 2004, 3:58 am

I'm an "early adopter". That's why I ordered your e-book very early in the morning last night...Like 12:30 AM CDST. I am a power Mac user as well, so I'll look forward to testing the compatibility and reporting in from the field.

Thanks for being on THE EDGE*, Michael.

Steve Snediker
wondermaker@mac.com

*...Of what, we're not so sure. :)

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » May 30th, 2004, 6:06 pm

We've updated the website with details of the contents of CGS. The link is here:

http://www.michaelclose.com/newstuff.html

Thanks.

M. Close

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 3rd, 2004, 7:40 am

Brad Henderson has posted a review of Closely Guarded Secrets on MyLovelyAssistant.com. Here is the link:

http://mylovelyassistant.com/index.php? ... 7740&cid=0

Thanks.

M. Close

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2004, 4:01 pm

Looks great! I can't wait for it. Is this still scheduled for shipping on June 7th?

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » June 4th, 2004, 4:11 pm

I just ordered Michael's new e-book and I thought about waiting until he lectures in September, but I couldn't wait!

I am thrilled that Michael will be coming out of retirement in terms of lecturing for magicians and will make his debut at our little close-up bash in Las Vegas (9/12-14).

Michael will also be offering a hands on workshop at the Magic University held the day after LVMI

Las Vegas Magic Invitational (LVMI)
www.lvmi.net
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » June 4th, 2004, 7:46 pm

I just ordered mine, I am really looking forward to Mr Close's notes on Dean's Box and Gary Plant's routine. I actually bought both a few years back after seeing Mike do them both at Houdini's Lounge

Originally posted by Chris Wasshuber:
But as Doug points out, this takes a lot of time to do and so it will take time until I can offer most in PDF.
Have you looked into OpenOffice.Org software, you can create, read, edit HTML documents and there is a nice little button "Export to PDF". Open your document, push the button, bada bing, bada bang, you got PDF. And it is Free......

Can't wait to get mine!
Scott

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 4th, 2004, 8:11 pm

Originally posted by Chris Wasshuber:
But as Doug points out, this takes a lot of time to do and so it will take time until I can offer most in PDF.
If you just want a "quick and dirty" transfer to pdf, acrobat has a function that will slurp up a whole website (which is what a collection of html pages is) and nicely concantenate them into a single pdf file. I've tried this and can say that it works well. The pdf will exhibit a "landscape" orientation and that might be an issue though.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » June 5th, 2004, 2:12 am

I am aware of the Acrobat web-slurpy, but it is not so straight forward for my HTML ebooks. Keep in mind that I have a collection of HTML files which are not necessarily all connected by links plus JavaScript. I have written a Perl script which helps in the conversion from HTML to PDF and it works reasonably well. But my point was, in order to create a top notch PDF you need to do more than a web-slurpy. You will need hand editing and that takes time.

It will be interesting to see how PDF vs. HTML or vs. other ebook formats will shake out.

Chris Wasshuber
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 7th, 2004, 7:08 pm

Status Report

I talked the duplication house today (June 7). I forgot to factor in the Memorial Day holiday when I made my initial shipping date estimate. The discs are done and will be shipped to me tomorrow. They should arrive Thursday, June 10. At that time Lisa and I will ship out the orders chronologically. We have been busy getting all the labels and paperwork together to expedite the process. My thanks for your support and patience.

By the way, the number of advance orders we have received has put a serious dent in our supply of the cards that we are providing as a thank-you bonus. If you dont want to be left out, I would not wait too long to order.

http://www.michaelclose.com/newstuff.html

Thanks again.

Michael Close

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 10th, 2004, 7:20 pm

Status Report 6/10/04

The Closely Guarded Secrets discs and cases arrived from the duplicators this morning. We got a large batch of domestic and international orders off to the post office.

Unfortunately, the post office is shut down on Friday. However, everything is back to normal on Saturday, and well be shipping out more orders then.

Everything looks and works great.

M. Close

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2004, 9:42 am

Michael emailed me and told me to probably expect a few orders for the Magnetized Cards since his presentation for it is on his new ebook. For those who have purchased this in the past.......if you want or need replacement cards for this trick, send me the old worn out or damaged card and $15, mention Genii forum, and I will send you a new replacement card. I am leaving for a two week vacation on June 17 so orders placed during that time will be filled as soon as I return.

Gary Plants
www.thecardplant.com

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 12th, 2004, 11:13 am

I LOVE Gary Plants' "Magnetized Cards" and I've been waiting a long time to read Mike's handling -- ever since Jamy Swiss told me it was the best thing he'd seen.

And while we're singing Gary's praises, his Rising Card effect is also beyond belief.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2004, 12:07 pm

Thank you Matt.........

Gary

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 14th, 2004, 11:58 am

The first batch of CGS discs should be arriving at your doors today. I would urge you to take a look at the ReadMe file before you do anything else. It will answer a lot of questions and will save you time.

Best

M. Close

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 14th, 2004, 12:20 pm

Re:

And while we're singing Gary's praises, his Rising Card effect is also beyond belief.
Shhhhh!

Steve Snediker

Postby Steve Snediker » June 15th, 2004, 11:03 am

Got mine yesterday and have been stealing away time at my day job to look it over. Michael -- It is a wonderful example of teaching, demonstrating, advancing the art. Thank you.

As a Macintosh user, I can also happily report that everything loads seamlessly, movies and all.

Thanks, Michael, for clearing your mind and sharing with us. Now, get back to the drawing board and create again.

BTW, there's a wonderful paragraph on page 58 entitled "One More Thing To Think About." It is one of those must reads for amateur and pro alike -- kinda of a fatherly, elder statesman, Dai Vernon-esque slap up side the head. Ouch. That one hurts so good.
:whack:

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2004, 10:48 pm

The Adobe Acrobat accelerator program that was mentioned earlier causes an error when you click on the video inserts in CGS. I tried checking the "updater" box, but that didn't do the trick. Any advice?

thanks,

-- Frank

Richard Morrell

Postby Richard Morrell » June 17th, 2004, 2:14 am

Originally posted by Frank L.:
The Adobe Acrobat accelerator program that was mentioned earlier causes an error when you click on the video inserts in CGS. I tried checking the "updater" box, but that didn't do the trick. Any advice?
Frank,

I did mention that the program might cause a few problems with certain aspects of Acrobat, e.g. clicking on weblinks doesn't work with the default speedup as it takes out that plugin, I guess its just missing one of the plugins that it needs to play the video.

For now I suggest re-running the program and restoring your original configuration, when I get my copy of CGS I will check this out and see if I can make it work and report back.

Rich.

Josh Mandel
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Josh Mandel » June 17th, 2004, 5:51 am

Michael,

Is there any discussion of releasing this material as an actual book (or, ideally, a book-and-DVD combo)?

I've worked in the software industry far too long to have any faith in the compatibility of e-books 10 years down the line...particularly when they're based on the proprietary software of one company (Adobe) and particularly when they're multimedia.

But I would happily pay a significantly higher price for a bound volume and an accompanying DVD, both of which are likely to be usable far, far longer than a multimedia e-book. (Notice that nobody ever writes in, delighted and somewhat surprised, to say, "Hey, my book worked perfectly" or "Just to let you know, the DVD works fine in the DVD player.")

--Josh

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » June 17th, 2004, 6:18 am

Josh,

you can printout the PDF, bind it and so create a decent book. If you go to a good printshop they can take your PDF and produce a nice softcover perfect bound book for you. Or you can do it yourself at home if you have a printer and a clamp and some glue.

Although I emotionally understand your fear that digital media might be useless in a few years, the future will prove you wrong. Yes, there have been some embarrasing failures in the past where lots of valuable data has been lost due to format or media changes. But these were due to human negligance. In all of these cases there would have been enough time to transfer the data to a new medium. But they forgot.

Digital contents has inherently better preservation qualities than analog contents. Meaning, ebooks have the potential to last indefinitely in prestine condition, while books will eventually decay, no matter how good you take care of them. The reason is that digital content has a finite noise margin which allows one to restore altered information. Analog does not have such a noise margin.

To put it in laymen terms. I am convinced that a well cared for e-book will outlast a well cared for book.

Chris Wasshuber

Josh Mandel

Postby Josh Mandel » June 17th, 2004, 7:04 am

Chris,

Many thanks for the reply. Actually, I'm less concerned about CD degradation (although that IS a definite concern - I don't think most people know how easy it is to ruin the aluminum layer or how to care for CDs) than about the vagaries of the software involved in using the e-book.

I have friends at Adobe; based partly on that and partly on basic observations, I have no faith that the company will be there in 10 years. If they ARE there, I have no reason to believe they'll be distributing Acrobat, and if they ARE distributing Acrobat, I have no reason to believe that it'll still be free. Current and previous versions of Acrobat may not be compatible with the newer operating systems sure to be released in the future, and tech support for current or former versions is a huge question mark.

The addition of multimedia makes compatibility an even greater issue and greatly increases the odds of future incompatibilities. One has only to try to run, say, a multimedia game from 5 or 6 years ago on a Windows XP-equipped system today to see that that "human fallibility" is an ever-present issue. It's not going away. And nobody wants to have to have to constantly monitor the situation so that they can be prepared to reprocess their e-book collection and re-burn them themselves onto new CDs into a more contemporary format every few years.

Using .PDF is somewhat like releasing a videotape that only works on one specific brand of VCR. If the .PDF requires third-party plug-ins to display multimedia, then it's analogous to a videotape that only works on one specific brand of VCR with another specific brand of cables. If even one of those prerequisites is not met, or goes wrong somehow, then the product, or parts of it, is unviewable. And we all know how smoothly these plug-ins work; which is to say, they're incredibly kludgy. This is why people are *pleasantly surprised* when their multimedia e-books actually work as advertised.

As for printing out the book and having it bound, that takes care of the text (at a huge added expense). And it still leaves the question of the video. This is why I'd advocate for a book-and-DVD combination.

--Josh

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 17th, 2004, 7:46 am

I just read an article somewhere, perhaps Newsweek or The New Yorker, or The New York Times, about deterioration of CDs. It talked about damage to the aluminum layer which reflects the laser.
After reading the part about pin holes appearing in the layer, I went and held up several of my older CDs and sure enough--there were pin holes. Eventually these CDs will be unreadable because the laser will "lock" on one of these pin holes rather than reflect, and that's the end of that.
So, am I supposed to now make duplicates of all my CDs every ten years so I don't loose my entire collection of music?
What a pain in the ass.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » June 17th, 2004, 8:08 am

Tut tut, Richard. Ten years from now, a CD will be as hard to find as an LP record... ;)

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 17th, 2004, 8:30 am

I would have to disagree about the "huge expense" of printing up the ebook. I printed up six of them during the editing/proofing phase of production, and my ink cartidges did not take that much of a hit. Add a plastic-comb binding and CGS looks like the rest of the Workers series (albeit with a much improved design and layout).

The point that is being missed here is that I didn't want to put out a DVD with a performance that you could imitate and hand-holding instructions. I want you to THINK. Text makes you think. The video clips show you where you are heading. The ebook format performs these functions admirably. All the information you need is immediately accessible. You dont have to leave the program to see what the sleights look like, which makes for an uninterrupted learning experience.

As Richard Kaufman will attest, books are a hard sell these days. Another goal of CGS was to try to draw in the video generation by producing a book that was as user friendly as possible.

Concerned about degradation of the disc? Copy the files to your hard drive. (And just your own hard drive, please.) As for Adobe disappearing? I cant believe that the producer of the worlds leading graphics/photo editing program is going anywhere anytime soon.

And in ten years time Im sure that everyone will have mastered all the tricks on CGS and will be looking for new stuff anyway.

By the way, we seem to be missing the point that this is a MAGIC BOOK. Would anyone care to discuss the contents? Id be happy to add any insights or clarifications.

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2004, 9:01 am

I have briefly scanned the pages of the ebook and Im very impressed of the content.
I havent tried any effect yet but I can tell you that I like several effects that I will add to my card arsenal. The crystal clear video footage is also a plus, you can also enjoy Closes hands and a deck of cards doing great card work.
Im glad that you didnt embedded some annoying music loops in the videos, thanks.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » June 17th, 2004, 11:15 am

Josh,

I essentially agree with your 'Adobe being proprietary' argument. This was one of the important reasons why Lybrary.com preferably publishes in HTML. HTML being based on the more than 50 year old ASCII standard is an open standard and therefore does not suffer the 'being proprietary' problem.

With multimedia the issue is different. But not much different than with regular DVD players. Just as with LPs and laser discs there is no guarantee how long DVDs will be the preferred video disc. I already saw a prototype of a holographic disc, the same size as a DVD, which can hold 100x the size of a DVD (Terra Bytes).

Michael is correct that printing and binding (ring or glue) is not very expensive. If you really need a paper and ink product you can get it for a few bucks.

Richard, as far as I understand pin-holes, they would not render your CDs useless. You might hear a certain additional noise maybe in the worst case something like a click, but you would still be able to hear your songs. If the laser latches on to the pin-hole then it is a very badly designed CD player.

My recommendation for all digital contents, be it software, ebooks, audio, video - make back-ups. Store it on an additional hard disc. One can have hundreds of GBytes for $100 and with USB the whole thing is installed in 10 seconds. If you love your audio CDs I suggest to convert them to MP3 and put them on a hard disc. If you have software that is essential to what you do, do the same. If you have ebooks also store them on your hard disc. A good backup strategy is essential. You also put oil in your car and get your service done. And any book collector will know that you also need to care for books. They should not be stored in humid or bright conditions or they will deteriorate. Handling books also has to be done carefully otherwise they will develop tears, nicks and stains.

Chris Wasshuber

Steve Snediker

Postby Steve Snediker » June 17th, 2004, 11:44 am

Originally posted by Michael Close:
By the way, we seem to be missing the point that this is a MAGIC BOOK. Would anyone care to discuss the contents? Id be happy to add any insights or clarifications.
Yes, Michael...I will comment about the content (with a few asides to the format as well)...

After doing the once over cursory glance, I have begun working from the beginning. I have printed a copy, bound in a loose leaf binder and I'm working the Lance Burton routine. I do go between hardcopy and my Mac to confirm both moves and timing (which I believe was your intention.) It's working quite well.

As a student of many arts (music, graphics, film & video, magic), I have a appreciation for someone with the gift of teaching. You, Michael, are one such dude. The proper blend of philosophy, technique, benign neglect and expertise -- it is a joy to start the process.

One fruit is the re-starting of my work with the Aronson Stack. I almost had it two years ago. Due to the great stuff in this volume, I have been drilling and believe I have the handle on it. (Thanks for sharing this stuff - It's finally going to pay off).

Plus, my computer configuration had no glitches, hiccups, downloads, or any other delay. It worked seamlessly and I am very satisfied. (BTW, Mac G4 Laptop, running Panther 10.3, QuickTime 6.5, Adobe Professional 6.0.2. -- Smashing.)

Others? Content thoughts?

Josh Mandel

Postby Josh Mandel » June 17th, 2004, 12:36 pm

Michael,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. When I spoke of the expense of printing up the e-book, I was speaking of attempting to make it the equivalent of a published book: bound in some fashion, heavy covers, thick, quality paper.

I appreciate the problem of rote imitation of performance/explanation videos, but I wasnt suggesting that the DVD contain any video other than what is contained within the e-book. In fact, a fine way to discourage duplication of the DVD is to have the information on it keyed closely to the pages/chapter headings in the book, without any additional surrounding context. This makes the DVD, in the absence of the book, all but useless to people who make copies. Conversely, the e-book makes the whole of the material much more susceptible to widespread illegal distribution. Granted, a book-video combo (like Eugene Burgers latest release) is a much more expensive proposition. Some professionals material, as I previously stated, I would gladly pay extra for.

I cant speak to whether or not a hardcopy book would be a tougher sell than an e-book; Im not in the book-publishing business. I am in the software business, though, and I believe that copying files to your hard drive as a safeguard against CD deterioration (not my overriding concern anyway) is like safeguarding a valuable document by making a photocopy onto paper towels. As fragile as optical storage is, magnetic storage is even more fragile, prone to corruption or erasure by dozens of not-that-unusual hazards (static electricity, viruses, malfunctioning hardware, malfunctioning software).

As for Adobes (and specifically Acrobats) long-term prospects, yes, they certainly seem positive right now. But let me try a few names on you. dBASE. VisiCalc. QEMM. Wordstar. DPaint. All as popular and ubiquitous in their time (20 or fewer years ago) as Acrobat is now. Is it possible to learn something from this, or are we so wrapped up in the here-and-now that we believe the current generation of software is immune from obsolescence?

My main point is that by tethering the purchaser to a proprietary program for access, and by using multimedia add-ins that depend on even more proprietary software, one major drawback of e-books that they are dependent on technology that is still moving too swiftly to assure compatibility over the long haul is exacerbated.

Respectfully,
Josh

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2004, 1:51 pm

I got mine yesterday. i personally think this is one of the best, most well thought out items to come out in a long time. great work Michael!

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » June 19th, 2004, 11:26 pm

Mike,

first, this is an exceptional product...the material is beautifully constructed...much food for thought and exploration...I am and will be spending a lot of time with this material...thank you, very much, for making it availible.

I will say that I disagreed with your comments about the relative merits of progressive systems (Osterlind, 8 kings et alia) v. those of a memorized stack...you were comparing them as if they were different approaches to achieving the same end -- they seem, to me, to be distinct tools which each serve a distinct function more effectively than the other.

As Mr. Osterlind points out in his manuscript on the Breakthrough System; when using (say) the Aronson stack to determine the next card in a sequence one first glimpses the key, then determines the stack number of the key, then subtracts or adds 1 to this stack number, then converts the resultant stack number into the identity of the target card. With a progressive system the performer 1.) glimpses the key, 2.) determines the identity of the object card.

It would seem, from this analysis, that a progressive system is a more efficient choice for routines that require the determination of the very next card in the sequence (card calling and rapid memorization demos, the corinda problem etc.) while a memdeck is ideal for situations requiring the control of any named card or the placement of any card in a known position.

I will admit that I perform frequently with the Osterlind system and have yet to memorize a stack -- so its quite possible that the determination of a subsequent card in a memdeck is more efficient in practice then this analysis makes it sound...

I will say that "The Luckiest Cards in Las Vegas" led me to a revelation that is probably trivial to those of you who have been using a memdeck and have known this for a while: in the '30's Vernon prided himself on having cards named rather than "drawn," with the open index any card revelation/impromptu effect with a selection can be performed with a thought of card rather than a selected card...holy sh*t. (I'm sure Simon Aronson wrote of this, I have yet to read his work)...

scattered reflections on other parts of the work:

[LIST] [*]Larry Jennings performs a very elegant add-on sequence for "Four Card Reiteration" on "Thoughts on Cards." I prefer it to yours (and "make a pile in my hand" has the potential to be funnier than "on the table"). The beautiful add-on sequence from the write-up of Open Travelers in Jennings '67 could also be a very nice solution for those (like me) for whom it may be out of character to be intentionally cozy on the first count.
[*]Are you sure you're performing the optical addition correctly in the video? I had the sense that the target cards were to end up out-jogged from the deck as per the DL replacement described by Tamariz in Sonata...I also had the sense that in order to be done correctly the faces of the cards to be switched out would be partially flashed to the audience...perhaps i have the move down wrong...
[*]the garden path approach to the final phases of four card reiteration is really, really nice.
[*]your application of the two-ton transpo move is SCARY BRILLIANT...as was the "Stewart James routine" described...
[*]the touch with the spectator during the suspension of the cards in the plants routine is brilliant (not the interaction as the cards fall -- which I like -- but the action taken by the spectator while the cards are suspended...i'm being vague so as not to tip, apologies if i'm not understood at all...)

thanks again and I selfishly hope that you find yourself another "laborartory" gig so that more of this calibre of work can come into being

best,

Nathan Marsh
www.IllusionArtistry.com

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » June 19th, 2004, 11:44 pm

one more quick memdeck comment:

as to building an effect into the stack: routines like the Vernon poker deal are near and dear to my heart...but I cannot imagine a performer theatrically numb enough to follow (say) "The Luckiest Cards in Las Vegas," "The Zen Master," "The Birthday Book" or Bert Allerton's stabbing routine with it...good memdeck routines seem to pack a punch that is stronger -- by an order of magnitude -- than the typical dealing or spelling routines built into many stacks...are you really going to do those routines after your memdeck miracles? If you have a routine requiring a set-up than can follow this stuff -- sure, build it in...but if, like the rest of us, you don't, you might be best using a random order...or, the approach i'm contemplating (which may turn out to be wasted effort): memorize the osterlind stack so that you have instant access to a succeeding card for those routines requiring it and an open index...

best,

Nathan.
www.IllusionArtistry.com

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » June 20th, 2004, 5:46 am

Originally posted by Nathan Coe Marsh:
...or, the approach i'm contemplating (which may turn out to be wasted effort): memorize the osterlind stack so that you have instant access to a succeeding card for those routines requiring it and an open index...
Wonderful suggestion. I think if mastered would give you the best from two methods.

Chris Wasshuber

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 20th, 2004, 8:59 am

I would certainly agree that from a theatrical viewpoint you would not want to ramble on with more tricks after The Luckiest Cards in Las Vegas. But there will be other performance situations. Why limit yourself? Standing around the bar I would improvise with the memdeck, and built-in features come in handy.

Incidentally, although I didn't mention this in CGS, on some occasions I did follow up The Luckiest Cards with another trick, using a feature of the Aronson stack. I would mention that we had used the cut cards for every purpose except the one they were designed for - to indicate where the deck should be cut. I would have someone insert a cut card. The deck would be cut at that point, and then I would deal out five hands. Each hand was successively better, and I would win with a Royal Flush. I did not include this because the method for nulifying the cut is not mine to tip and I couldn't think of an acceptible alternative.

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2004, 1:11 pm

What about using the knife force with the cut card? For an in-the hands magic trick, this would look pretty good, I would imagine.

Just set the deck at the point you need to deal the cooler, cut off a third and hold a break. Now riffle slowly and they can insert the cut card anywhere above your break. Easy as pie.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 20th, 2004, 1:20 pm

Unfortunately, this does not resemble card table procedure. The method I use does duplicate table procedure. (It is, in fact, a cheater's move.)

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 20th, 2004, 1:36 pm

Concerning Larry Jennings's Add-on for 4 Card Reiteration:

I just watched Larry's performance on the Thoughts on Cards DVD. He begins the trick by spreading through the cards, looking down, spotting the bottom three, and copping them. All this is done without any motivation whatsoever. This is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

In everything I have published, I am more concerned about the reasoning behind a handling rather than the particular handling itself. In the case of this trick, the driving motive for the suspicious/cozy dealing was to provide motivation for my spreading of the cards that I hold. My reasoning went like this:

1. I need to spread out my cards so I can sight the bottom three and palm them. How can I motivate this?

2. I could motivate this if I was using my cards to demonstrate what the spectator should do.

3. Why should I need to demonstrate this?

4. What if the spectator was unsure of exactly how many cards she was holding? She would want to check.

5. If I deal the cards in a suspicious way, I provide the motivation for everything else.

Obviously, this line of reasoning doesn't often spring full-blown into existence. It is the culmination of a lot of thought. It is not my contention in any of my routines that my handlings are the only way to go. I encourage everyone to experiment and adapt to best fit their personalities. However, in doing so I ask that you not move backwards. I recently was asked if it wouldn't be acceptible to substitute some overt cuts for the pass at the end of The Luckiest Cards in Las Vegas. This would be a step backwards; it would be easier to do, but the magic would be completly lost.

Concerning the memdeck:

I think that it would behoove Nathan (and anyone else who is curious about memdeck work) to go to Simon Aronson's website and download his notes Memories Are Made of This. You have to answer a simple question to get to the memdeck part of the site. (www.simonaronson.com). If you actually bite the bullet and memorize a deck, you'll see how limiting calculation systems are.

M. Close

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2004, 9:04 pm

Unfortunately, this does not resemble card table procedure. The method I use does duplicate table procedure. (It is, in fact, a cheater's move.)
Actually, since from your earlier posts I got the impression that you performed standing up in a bar or restaurant, I would imagine that a knife force using a plastic cut card is a pretty decent way to go - it's not card table procedure but neither is anything else you do, based on your published material.

The knife force acheives the same results as a 'leaf hop', which is what you're talking about anyway. In any case, it was just a suggestion, as you stated you weren't in a position to discuss the hop.

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » June 20th, 2004, 9:45 pm

Because this routine was designed for a lounge within a casino, I wanted a handling that resembled what the audience would see if they sat down at a Blackjack table.

You are of course correct that the knife force handling would fly in venue not so closely tied in with gaming.

M. Close

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2004, 10:51 pm

Because this routine was designed for a lounge within a casino, I wanted a handling that resembled what the audience would see if they sat down at a Blackjack table.
I had thought it was a draw poker deal you were discussing. But in any case, it was merely a suggestion to get around dropping your nightie and tipping the specific leaf hop you use to beat the sweat card.

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2004, 7:18 pm

Are the effects in CGS mostly walk-around or do they require the use of a table? :help:

Return to “Light From the Lamp”