Sol Stone's Radical Dice Routine

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Sol Stone's Radical Dice Routine

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 21st, 2007, 7:34 am

I've had the pleasure of watching Sol do this routine for a number of different people (both magicians and laymen) over the past several years, and I can assure you that the routine is fantastic, and is one of the favorites of those who have seen Sol perform.

Sol's style is very casual and low-key, and this routine reflects that. Nevertheless, there are some really great moments in here, and I think this is something that should be studied for anyone interested in this type of dice trick. Sol's been performing dice tricks along these lines for more than 70 years, and has been using this particular routine for about 50. He brings a lot of experience to the table.

I was not particularly impressed with the camera work and the quality of the video. There were certain camera angles during the performance section that revealed a bit too much information. These are things that would not have been noticed if you saw Sol perform it live. Still, the routine is great, and you can hear the reactions of the people Sol was performing for (some were laymen, some were magicians), and it's obvious that they all enjoyed it.

I really think that this is a routine that would serve any close-up performer well. If you think you might be interested in this type of trick, I highly recommend you check it out. I know that I'm keeping this in my pocket from now on.

-Jim

Re: Sol Stone's Radical Dice Routine

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 4:53 am

Jim.

Saw it, bought it immediately.
'Nuff said!

Am thinking of putting together a dice routine and calling it "The Dice-Man Cometh"

Waddya think?

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Heres a link to more on Sol Stones terrific routine - http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 6;t=001974

Postby Guest » May 26th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Gulp............

Thank you, Mr Goat for that.

That could have been embarrassing AND expensive.

Peace.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 26th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Sol's routine is something with which he fooled me MANY times because I never realized that it required a special "something." (You receive a set of dice with the DVD.)

Of course he always does it beautifully with that wonderful light touch he has. It's excellent, and should become a classic in the repertoire of close-up magicians.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 26th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Sol's routine is something with which he fooled me MANY times because I never realized that it required a special "something." (You receive a set of dice with the DVD.)
Heck, it was only when I watched him perform it from behind once that I even realized there were two dice. He doesn't call attention to the fact, but he doesn't really hide it either. His attitude/misdirection does a great job of covering the fairly open switch. It's probably one of the best examples of what Ascanio called the "parenthesis of forgetfulness".

As I said earlier, I'm keeping these dice in my pocket at all times.

-Jim

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Sol Stone is a lovely person who I met when I was working at the Paraiso Marriott in Acapulco in 1970. He was skilled then and I learned something from him, both about magic and about life. I credit part of the success of my second marriage to advice I got from Sol.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 23rd, 2007, 6:57 am

For those who like Sol's routine, but don't want to carry around the set of dice required, you may be interested to know that the latest issue of Wesley James' "Mojo" contains Sol's ungimmicked handling of the routine. It uses just two regular dice, so you can do it for anyone at the local Yahtzee club, if you're so inclined.

The whole issue, in fact, is devoted to Sol's magic, and includes his take on the Leipzig/Hunter cigar production (using pretzels), a rope routine, and the cork trick which was featured as a bonus on the Radical Dice DVD (Sol's slightly more adult patter line is given here, which if I recall correctly was absent from the DVD explanation).

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2007, 9:15 am

Hello,

Can anybody describe the effect ?
Thanks and regards

Thomas

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 23rd, 2007, 11:01 am

Originally posted by Thomas Van Aken:
Hello,

Thanks and regards

Thomas
It's Sol's take on Sack's Dice Routine. You can see a demo of the DVD on Youtube: Sol Stone\'s Radical Dice .

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2007, 8:08 pm

When are we going to see a big three CD set of Sol Stone? I loved the little sample we got on Quick and Casual Close-Up.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 23rd, 2007, 11:28 pm

the book is in Richard's basement.

Postby Guest » September 5th, 2007, 9:13 am

Jim,
Thanks for the answer.
Rgds
Thomas

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2007, 11:16 am

Where can I find Wesley James' 'Mojo'? It sounds very interesting.

JR
"Fly Navy"

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 7th, 2007, 10:31 am

JR: The info about Mojo can be found here: http://www.pipeline.com/~wjames/Mojo.HTM

Be sure to contact Wes before sending any cash, since I know he just moved a week or two ago and it appears that the address on the site has not yet been updated.

You can also do a search here on the forum for some reviews, or contact me for any additional info (I should mention that although Wes is a friend, I don't have anything to do with Mojo aside from being a subscriber and occasional researcher-of-credits.)

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 16th, 2007, 8:08 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
Originally posted by Thomas Van Aken:
[b] Hello,

Thanks and regards

Thomas
It's Sol's take on Sack's Dice Routine. You can see a demo of the DVD on Youtube: Sol Stone\'s Radical Dice .

-Jim [/b]
Thanks for the link to the demo. I've heard wonderful things about Sol Stone, but this has been my first glimpse at his work. Very cool. I like dice effects- am pretty new to them. Very interesting, indeed.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”