Lennart Green

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Bill Mullins

Lennart Green

Postby Bill Mullins » April 26th, 2004, 2:07 pm

Matthew Field mentions three booklets which were put out by Green:
Green Angle Separation
Lennart Green's Snap Deal
Green Mirror Count

Add to the list a booklet on the 1-2 Separation (I don't recall the exact title, or date).

Other published Green material:
One of the final issues of Steve Beam's Trapdoor had a throwaway production of a coin.
One issue of Looking Glass had an effect -- I think it was Green's presentation of "Out of This World".
One of the A-1's Convention at the Capital had Green doing Xirtam.

Matthew mentions that most of the material (all but the introduction) from Green's self-published video tape is on the A-1 Vol 1 video. I don't think that is true, but would have to go back and look at both of them to be sure.

My own impression of the first 3 volumes was that there was two good volumes of material there. I don't feel that way about Vols 4 and 6 (haven't been through vol 5 yet). It does seem that Paul Wilson didn't add much to vol 4 or 6; this is a shame, because I'd love to see Paul's comments on many of Green's unique sleights. Does he use them? What tricks do Green's sleights improve, as opposed to conventional handlings?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Lennart Green

Postby Matthew Field » April 27th, 2004, 8:32 am

Hi, Bill. Thanks for the added Lennart Green references.

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

Matthew mentions that most of the material (all but the introduction) from Green's self-published video tape is on the A-1 Vol 1 video. I don't think that is true, but would have to go back and look at both of them to be sure.
That's what I did, Bill, but it was some time ago (when I wrote the original review), so tell us what you discover.

My own impression of the first 3 volumes was that there was two good volumes of material there. I don't feel that way about Vols 4 and 6 (haven't been through vol 5 yet).
I always encourage people to form their own opinions, however to dismniss Volume 4, with its amazing shuffle work, and Volume 6 with the Snap Deal, Laser Deal and Drop Cull Separation is, I think, to sell the material short.

You also feel that Paul Wilson should have had a larger role in the videos, describing what he likes or uses. I think this would be an imposition on what is, after all, Dr. Green's video of what he wants to teach.

Matt Field

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 27th, 2004, 9:03 am

I hope I didn't leave the impression that I dismissed any of the material, in any of the six videos. I agree that nearly all of Green's material is strong, and most of it isn't like anyone else's magic. My comment about vol 4 and 6 was meant to say that I don't have the same criticism of those two volumes that I did of the first three (the criticism being that there is some material that was duplicative, or "filler"). Vol 4 and 6 are two strong videos, with some card technique the likes of which you won't find anywhere. I have no doubt that vol 5 is the same, and I look forward to seeing it.

I was somewhat disappointed with the first three volumes. Much of the material in vol 1 had already been released by Green in another tape, which I already had (but the advertising for the set didn't point this out). Also, I think some work was discussed both on vol 1 and vol 3 (production of object from shoe?). Take out this duplicate material, and you are left with two very good videos.

I'll reexamine vol 1 with respect to Green's self published video.

Sometimes a guest adds to the tape, sometimes he detracts. Jim Krenz helped Juan Tamariz with some subtleties of the English language (and was a good choice, in that he was so familiar with the material). The interplay between Burger and Maven on Maven's videos was nice. I've seen some criticism of Michael Ammar as a guest, but it was on videos that I don't have so it's hard to say much about them.

But on Green vol 4 and 6, Paul is just there -- sometimes his silence is almost awkward. He doesn't take away, but he doesn't add much either. If he isn't there for commentary or to draw out Lennart Green, why is he there?

As always, I respect Matthew's reviews, even if I'm not 100% in agreement (and we are usually pretty close; even if I sound a little negative here, the Green material in my library is some of my favorite). The question has been raised on the Forum about the objectivity of the reviewers. Reviewers are always subjective; it can't be helped. But Matthew explains the origins of his opinions, and they are thought out enough that I can compare and contrast with my own. I value reviews of stuff I already have, as much as reviews of things I am lookig to buy.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 27th, 2004, 10:37 pm

Originally posted by Matthew Field:

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
[b]
That's what I did, Bill, but it was some time ago (when I wrote the original review), so tell us what you discover.
[/b]
I just spent a couple of (enjoyable) hours reviewing the tapes. Matt is 99.5% right -- the only thing missing from Green's self published tape on the A-1 tape (besides the intro material mentioned by Matt) is a throwaway color changing deck trick at the very end of Green's self published tape.

Maybe that'll show me to check my facts in the future, before spouting off (but probably not . . . )

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 27th, 2004, 11:13 pm

I just spent a full day photographing Lennart and his moves, etc. and am disappointed in that I would REALLY RATHER NOT KNOW HOW HE DOES IT. :confused:

I prefer to be continued to be baffled by his work. :genii:

:D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2004, 11:18 am

I had the great pleasure of seeing Dr Green at the Castle the other week, including his lecture. I found it very interesting that after the lecture he let us to come right up as he was doing his snap deal and though I happen to see it all at a very good angle, it was still very very very, one more...... VERY good. It's amazing how convincing the move is. You could use it for a number of things. What I truely love about the mans craft is his ability to look like he has no idea what he's doing only to later do the most amazing revelations in the most entertaining way. A true master and one of which must be seen live at least twice in your life. And volume 6 DVD happen to sell out at the lecture first.

Best

Joel Payne

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2004, 2:29 pm

This is really sad, but I've only seen Mr. green on "World's Greatest Magic," even though I've been involved in magic for years. I have a feeling, that his appearance on there was substandard, compared to everything I've ever heard about him.

Any recommendations as to what materials of his to look into, for someone very saturated in magic? I mean, if I were to purchase, say two of his printed works, or his videos, what would those of you in the know suggest?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 9th, 2004, 10:49 am

His booklets are very good, but hard to find. Denny & Lee's used to have some of them, and maybe H&R books will.

Of all his videos, I enjoyed most the lecture tape from International Magic. It's available off their website. They are a little expensive, and the current exchange rate makes them more so, but it is very good. But you won't go wrong with the A-1 videos, or his self published tape (which is on volume 1 of the A-1 videos).

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » May 9th, 2004, 11:44 am

Originally posted by Ron Giesecke:
if I were to purchase, say two of his printed works, or his videos, what would those of you in the know suggest
If you want to see Green's act, basically the one he performed at FISM, get the first video in the A-1 set. I think that's the best introduction.

Dr. Green's material is, for the most part, for advanced card handlers (Tenkai Palm, Lateral Palm, Culling, etc.) so if you don't know moves like that you will not be able to perform most of his magic. It is in explaining this sort of stuff that fills five more DVDs. I tried to go into some detail on all this in my review in the current (May) Genii.

Forgot to mention that Dr. Green also has a marketed trick, "Stolen Cards," from A-1.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2004, 2:27 pm

I could watch Lennert Green work for hours on end... a true 'artist.'

Volume #1 is my favorite volume (of the first 3... I haven't seen the new DVD's)

I agree; Green's 'work' is mainly for advanced card handlers. However, I'd reccomend Vol #1 to ANYONE who likes good card magic. You'll find stuff you can pick up right away... and things you can spend a life-time developing.

Matt, I thought you did a TERRIFIC job reviewing these dvd's. That being said, I'll quit rambling and suggest interested parties read Matt's thoughts in this month's Genii (everyone here does have this month's mag right? YOU SHOULD!)

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 9th, 2004, 3:01 pm

If God did card tricks, it would look like what Lennart Green does. I've been sitting here over the weekend looking at the latest 3 dvds and am agog. Just miracle after miracle, and most of it visual. You could dismiss some of it as being too angle-prone, and yet I've seen Lennart devastate a table full of top magicians with this material, virtually surrounded by them. This is as good as card magic gets.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 9th, 2004, 4:06 pm

Another marketed trick from Green: The Blinking Eye

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2004, 6:13 pm

I've had the good fortune of seeing Lennart

lecture , do his FISM act and talk to him. He was

featured at the IBM Convention in Norfolk, Va. in

1996 . I'm not sure of where this story comes

from but it follows along with " if God did close

up" above. Lenart won FISM on his second attempt.

The judges were sure he had done his act with a

gaffed deck and disqualified him. Thre years

later when he finished his act he walked over and

gave the judges the deck to keep ( and examine if

they liked)He won! The point of this is he can

fool the publc, fool magacians and the first

time he was in FISM he foolrd the judges....Mike

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 9th, 2004, 10:22 pm

No, no... not dq'd for gaffed deck. Kaufman's interview with LG revealed they thought he used a stooge, which is against the rules.

You CAN use gaffed decks at FISM. Guaranteed. I have been a judge there for card/close-up and stage.
Stay tooned.

Matthew Field

Postby Matthew Field » May 10th, 2004, 7:39 am

Thanks to Doug Conn for the kind words.

And, regarding Steve Bryant's comments about "if God did card tricks" and Dr. Green's ability to fry magicians, it should be noted that I watched him perform (basically the act on Vol. 1 of the A-1 vids) for 100 laypeople at a Monday Night Magic show several years ago and he had the audience in hysterics.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » May 10th, 2004, 8:33 am

Thak you for the input. I am an advanced card handler, I just never managed to wander over into the "Green Corner" of magic, for some unexplainable reason.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”