Abstract Passions by Tom Stone

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Tom Stone

Abstract Passions by Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 7th, 2007, 4:23 am

Yet another ebook, for those who find it interesting with not-quite-finished ideas for close-up and parlour.
http://shop.tomstone.se

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Abstract Passions by Tom Stone

Postby Matthew Field » September 8th, 2007, 7:45 am

It must be the drinking water in Sweden. Or maybe it's the crisp Nordic air.

How else to explain Tom Stone's new publication, the third in just a few months. "Abstract Passions" is passionate, filled with exuberant and creative material from this clever magician.

Tom deals first with a routine which illustrates his dislike of "story" tricks. He prefer es the direct approach. "Brutus' Gift" has a chosen object vanish from its box and appear in a most unusual place. "Eggs from Bombay" is a very clever routine with eggs which had to be self-contained (because it was to go into a friend's stage show). Although some of these ideas are not considered complete by Tom, there's plenty of food for thought here -- and 23 great illustrations for this trick alone!

Then there's Tom's take on the Color Changing Deck in which he explores a psychological subtlety, "Kamikaze Cuffing" which looks at the technique described in Bobo, and "Well-Timed Miracle" which is a very clever routine for a well known gaffed deck.

Tom is a high energy thinker, although in performance he exhibits a Swedish coolness. I have no idea how thick Tom's notebook is, but I hope he continues to hare his wonderful thinking with those of us living in warmer climates.

You'' find some great material in this latest Tom Stone e-book.

Matt Field

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » September 8th, 2007, 8:21 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
"Brutus' Gift" has a chosen object vanish from its box and appear in a most unusual place.
Thanks for the very kind words, Matt!

However, in "Brutus' Gift", it should seem as if the knife is buried in the performer's back, already from the start. So I think it's more of an odd prediction, than a vanish. It might also be seen as something similar to a pseudo-psychometry plot...

-Tom

Michael Feldman

Postby Michael Feldman » December 19th, 2007, 4:39 pm

To anyone who owns this book by Tom Stone...

I am wondering if someone can better describe to me what "Eggs from Bombay" is.

I like Silk to Egg, and read in the Genii review this month that it takes out the sucker portion, but how does it do this. Is it possible to describe the new effect without giving away the method?

This is really the idea I'm most interested in from this book, so any help anyone can provide would be most helpful.

Thanks
--
Michael Feldman
www.magicmichael.com

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » March 29th, 2008, 7:19 am

Michael Feldman wrote:I am wondering if someone can better describe to me what "Eggs from Bombay" is.

I like Silk to Egg, and read in the Genii review this month that it takes out the sucker portion, but how does it do this. Is it possible to describe the new effect without giving away the method?

Sorry for the delayed answer.

The effect is basically a One-Cup routine, with a touch of ingredients from other classial plots:
An over-sized cup is brought out, and is wiped out with a white silk.
The silk then transforms into an egg - and that egg is then used for a Benson's Bowl-inspired routine.
Then the eggs start to multiply between the fingers, and a big goose egg appear under the cup.

...something like that :)
I think is was considered noteable because it doesn't require much sleight-of-hand (I designed it for a friend who is a comedian).

Return to “Light From the Lamp”