Barely Chewed by Chastain Criswell

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Jeff.Prace

Barely Chewed by Chastain Criswell

Postby Jeff.Prace » February 14th, 2009, 5:22 pm

[size:17pt]Barely Chewed by Chastain Criswell[/size]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWN-1pQa9BI
Retail: $10

The Official Spam:

Chastain Criswell, the creator of one of the biggest hits in magic, TAG, brings you BARELY CHEWED! An easy and stunning gum magic routine.

EFFECT:

The magician takes out a pack of gum that contains only one stick. He then offers to share. The magician then removes the stick of gum from the pack and starts to unwrap it. The stick of gum vanishes from the wrapper and appears in the magicians mouth.

Once the gum has been chewed for a few seconds, the magician then removes the gum from his mouth and places it into the empty wrapper. The magician then offers to share the BARELY CHEWED piece of gum.

Remembering his manners, he realizes that he cant offer BARELY CHEWED gum to his spectators, and with a wave of a hand the chewed gum and crumbled up wrapper are now wrapped again and appear brand new, and BARELY CHEWED. The wrapped gum and package are then handed out for FULL INSPECTION.

"Chastain Criswell spits out another winner!" -- Aaron Smith

The Basic Effect:

You ask your audience if they would like to share a piece of gum with you. You say because youre a magician, you share a little bit differently. You take out your pack of gum, and notice there is only one stick left. You open it up, and there is no piece of gum inside. Your audience looks up, and the magician is chewing a piece of gum; the piece of gum that was supposed to be inside the wrapper! You spit the gum back inside the wrapper and crumple it into a ball. Obviously, nobody wants to share that. So with a rub of your hand, you instantly cause the balled piece of chewed gum to turn into a brand new, wrapped stick! You take that new piece of gum and reinsert it back inside the pack. You hand to this to a spectator, saying its only been BARELY CHEWED!

The Setup:

The setup for this effect is very simple, and very quick. It shouldnt take any more than a minute. Every time you perform this effect, you will have to make a new gimmick. You will go through more than one stick of gum for each gimmick you make. Luckily, you can get large packs of gum for very cheap.

The Performance:

While this is not difficult, it will take some practice. You must practice the core moves, and then the timing. The timing of this piece is a key point in making the effect look good. Bad timing will lead to a bad performance. You also must make this look natural, as many of the moves require the audience looking directly at your hands. If you dont perform those moves smoothly, the audience will not be impressed, as they will know how the effect works. Chastain Criswell makes this look easy, but practice IS required, as it is for most effects.

Production Quality:

The production quality for this DVD is not bad. Lets start with the DVD case. The DVD case art looks great. Im proud to have this in my collection. I do think the front side is a little busy. The back side of the DVD case is basically the description of the effect. The DVD is filmed by James Coats using two cameras. Neither camera zooms in or out, and both cameras stay stationary for the whole DVD. I have found at some points on the DVD I wouldve liked to see something over again or closer up. Some points were hard to grasp. The DVD menu is very basic, and reminds me greatly of one that you can find on the most basic video editing software. The DVD menu had all the necessary choices, which is a big plus. While it couldve been much better, the production quality wasnt terrible.

The Teaching:

The teaching on this DVD is enough, but some of it seemed a little rushed. I think Chastain couldve explained some parts better, and he couldve reiterated some important points. I had to rewind through some points to better get a hold of the concept. Chastain goes pretty fast, and doesnt explain some parts of the effect. The whole DVD was around 14 minutes long, and a few of those minutes were performances. I wouldve liked to have more clear instruction.

THE BONUS:

Chastain includes a bonus effect on this DVD. Its called Flash Back Pack. Basically, a pack of Big Red gum is shown. A piece of the gum is given out to an audience member. You then say you prefer Juicy Fruit, and instantly you are holding a pack of Juicy Fruit. You can then immediately hand pieces of Juicy Fruit gum to your audience.

This is a very basic effect, and uses a very basic gimmick. Chastain has basically took a concept used many times in magic before, and applied it to gum. I am not sure how original this really is, as its very basic, but Chastains convincers really sell this effect.

On all of the live performances the audience didnt react all that well to the effect. I dont know why; it mightve been because the audience didnt understand the effect.

Its not terrible, and is a nice bonus.

Overall:

I recommend this DVD for the effect, Barely Chewed. While the production quality wasnt terrific, nor was the teaching, the basic effect is a great idea and a wonderful effect. This retails for around $10, and for that price I highly recommend this DVD. I rate it a 7.5/10.

Jeff

John Smetana

Re: Barely Chewed by Chastain Criswell

Postby John Smetana » February 15th, 2009, 10:06 am

Sounds very similar to the Andy Leviss chewing gum effect

all the best,
John

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » February 15th, 2009, 11:55 am

John Smetana wrote:Sounds very similar to the Andy Leviss chewing gum effect

all the best,
John

Similar effect, yes, but different methodology.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » February 16th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I own both, along with Wrap it Up (Sugarless Gum), The Real Sticky Situation, and All Stuck Up (Fresh).

While the basic effect is the same, a chewed piece of gum becomes wrapped, the method is different. Also, the effect to your spectators is different.

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » February 19th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Written and audio review are now posted at iTricks.

http://itricks.com/reviews/?p=705

ChastainCriswell

Postby ChastainCriswell » February 21st, 2009, 6:56 pm

Howdy Jim ..... Thanks for the words :)

Return to “Light From the Lamp”