Another Murphy thing

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Another Murphy thing

Postby 000 » July 3rd, 2008, 3:42 am

We all complain about some of the rubbish products in the marketplace. In every issue of Genii at least one dvd/booklet/trick gets the reviewers frothing at the mouth....zero crediting, minor (ripped off) variations, [censored] gaffs,( or how to make them), overpriced, useless [censored] product. But yet its available from Murphys. Now, whilst in no way advocating that reviews ought dictate what succeeds and what does not in the marketplace, the question that does arise in my mind sometimes is this; What, if any criteria, do they have when selecting products? Of course they may wish to stock 'everything' ( easier for dealers to order from less wholesalers), but at what expense ?

Re: Another Murphy thing

Postby 000 » July 8th, 2008, 11:57 am

No need to reply gents. Just dont cry if Murphy [censored] becomes dealer [censored], and ends up as [censored] in your pocket.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 8th, 2008, 12:06 pm

The great majority of the items we review come from Murphy's Magic because they send in items for review! Many other companies do not. So, don't get the wrong impression because of that.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » July 9th, 2008, 1:37 am

I do, however, have an issue with the "best selling' products lineup that appears in Genii

these items are based SOLELY on Murphy's Sales. I'm sure other magic shops would agree, there are Murphy's Best Sellers and there are REAL best sellers. For example (in no particular order), Protean Deck by Gary Plants, Coin Flux 2 Mark Mason, Jack Parkers 52 Memories, Panic by Aaron Fisher, Svengali Deck by Burling Hull, Ball and Vase, Genii and Magic Magazines...need I go on!!??
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Postby 000 » July 9th, 2008, 2:31 am

Chief Genii, understood. When they submit for review, they stock it, so obviously they saw merit in the product? Although the real rubbish is a tiny percentage ( as per your reviews)one still wonders how they got to select these items in the first place.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 9th, 2008, 11:00 pm

It's quite clearly stated that the numbers in our bestseller list are provided by Murphy's Magic. They happen to be by far the largest distributor to shops, both brick and mortar and internet.

Unless we assigned a person to collate information from 150 magic shops, there is no other way for us to present a list of this type. I can't afford to hire someone to do that, and who's to say that they would tell the truth anyway.

If they are stuck with piles of a certain trick, they could tell us it was a bestseller, we would print it, and then lots of people would buy it. And they could move crappy, dead stock that way. At least with the list from Murphy's, we know exactly where the information comes from, and many of us have dealt with the company. If the Pea Can showed up on the list one month, we'd all be pretty suspicious! That kind of thing won't happen in this case.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 10th, 2008, 12:35 am

Collating this kind of data is what I do for a living. If at least 100 retailers would like to send me their monthly sales data I will gladly put together the ranking for Genii free of charge.

Furthermore, for the security of the retailers, I will sign a boilerplate "nondisclosure" contract (which I can also supply) that prevents me from sharing the individual data with any other party (in other words, Tannen's doesn't have to worry about me sharing their data with Denny's or even Richard Kaufman). The only thing that will be published would be the ranking by title and unit sales.

Dustin

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » July 10th, 2008, 1:13 am

that is an AMAZING idea Dustin! I would for SURE be interested in that. And what I buy from the suppliers and what I SELL are to completely different numbers. I may buy "Torn Too" by Danny Garcia without knowing anything about it but because of it's name alone, and then have over 6 of them sitting on my shelf for 3 months collecting dust (of course, just a hypothetical - wink). It wouldn't even need to be sales (as in numbers) but if all magic shop listed their top 10 best selling ITEMS in a given month, it would be a more accurate list because I am telling you right now it is not "How to make Flash Paper" or "Linked"

keep me posted Dustin!!
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Jeremy Greystoke

Postby Jeremy Greystoke » July 10th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:
If the Pea Can showed up on the list one month, we'd all be pretty suspicious!

Or we'd be wondering who performed it on national television with a killer original routine! :)

Jeremy

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » July 13th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Or with any routine.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 14th, 2008, 8:15 am

One of the members of another forum stated that you can tell the good tricks by the high download count on the internet sites.

After being appalled - it occurred that if the author/inventor put up some nice personal notes and touches on the tricks they sell retail that might actually work out as a measure of interest in an item.

In the mean time we are left to wonder what "in its class means" - and just how much it costs to create classes like "laughs per wand wave" and "card changes per card in packet" or such.

Postby 000 » July 15th, 2008, 9:22 am

The Neckcracker has disappeared from sight ( no 5 previous month).
Damn fine gimmick this....slots perfectly in the palm and startles people. I take it along when I know Im going to be stuck in a queue, like at a Gvt Dept.

Postby 000 » January 24th, 2009, 9:26 am

Another nail in the coffins of the brick and mortar shops.........im referring to the 'drop ship' advertisements ( on behalf of Murphys) which have appeared in Genii by www.dealmens.com

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 24th, 2009, 5:25 pm

Don't know how integral to this thread this is, but you just might be interested in this "vignette." It's years ago; I'm on a 35-city book tour for THE MEMORY BOOK, which was an enormous success. I was visiting a large bookstore somewhere in Kansas, I believe; was doing a book-signing there. As I walked into this large store, I saw an employee arranging books on a high shelf. He was standing on a "pyramid" of books, all the same book. I saw the title as I passed - it was Solzenitzkin's (sp?) Gulag Archipelago (sp?), a book that had been on the NY Times bestseller list for some time.

After I finished my booksigning thing, I was in the manager's office having coffee, and hearing nice things, like - "Man, your book is paying my rent for me," etc. And the phone rang. I realized it was the NY Times calling. I heard the manager say, "Oh, yes, as a matter of fact, he's sitting right here in my office, just did a booksigning for me - many people came in, and yes, it certainly is still one of my bestseller." A bit more confersation, and then I heard, "Oh, yes, the Archipelego is certainly still a bestseller."

When he hung up, I was looking at him sort of quizically. I knew that when you form a stepladder with a particular book, it sure as hell couldn't be selling too well. He knew what my look was about, and said, "You know, Harry, we're allowed to return books to the publishers, but it costs money. It's more cost effective to sell what we have." And, here's the point of this long story --- "And keeping it on the NY Times bestseller list helps to sell the book."

Just thought you might find this interesting. Best - HL.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 24th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Several years ago I did a strolling gig in Southern Cal with guy who manufactured and sold magic. He was doing well. He told me that the market is so well-penetrated that with proper marketing he would make 80%-85% of his sales on a given item in the first four months it was available. Not every item, of course, but a lot of them. After four months sales dropped off.

I don't know if things are the same today, but he had his figures and knew his stuff back then.

I love Harry's story.

flynn

Postby flynn » January 25th, 2009, 1:26 am

I always wondered how the neck cracker was always on the list. Or in these trying times items that cost around a hundred bucks.

Postby 000 » January 25th, 2009, 7:30 am

Yep, Neckcracker back at no 6 in December but disappears in January...........marketmakers?

So here is a question:
With Murphys dropping ship, via dealmens ie, do you think MORE or LESS internet discounters will make their aapearance? And do you think this will be GOOD or BAD for brick and mortar stores?

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » January 25th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:Collating this kind of data is what I do for a living. If at least 100 retailers would like to send me their monthly sales data I will gladly put together the ranking for Genii free of charge.

Furthermore, for the security of the retailers, I will sign a boilerplate "nondisclosure" contract (which I can also supply) that prevents me from sharing the individual data with any other party (in other words, Tannen's doesn't have to worry about me sharing their data with Denny's or even Richard Kaufman). The only thing that will be published would be the ranking by title and unit sales.

Dustin

That is a capital idea, Dustin.
You certainly have exhibited the number crunching wherewithal in a previous posting with you statistical analysis in re. "The Magic Collection of a [s]Gentleman[/s]" Swann Auction.

As a fellow cruncher I would be happy to offer you my services, in any way that you wish, to be of assistance to you.

All, and I repeat all, retail and wholesale operations wind up with plenty of dead merchandise and the ways that they use to enhance these dogs' desirability and sales potential are legion.

Such dead numbers are referred to as "Old Maids" in the trade and like the Old Maid in the card game the object is to pass her on to anyone in anyway that you can.

Capital idea.

It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » January 25th, 2009, 10:37 pm

000 wrote:Yep, Neckcracker back at no 6 in December but disappears in January...........marketmakers?

So here is a question:
With Murphys dropping ship, via dealmens ie, do you think MORE or LESS internet discounters will make their aapearance? And do you think this will be GOOD or BAD for brick and mortar stores?

[color:#3366FF]1) More.
2) Bad.

[/color]
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Postby 000 » January 26th, 2009, 2:10 am

Which can only mean that the power of internet buying has irrevocably overtaken the real world magic shops. Perhaps also a recognition that it is becoming prohibitively expensive for dealers to be fairly well stocked.
Take Dvdees for example.....L and L alone has over 500 titles.That's like a minimum outlay of $10 000 to stock a single copy from this publisher alone, and you havent purchased a single effect or book........Im aware of other wholesalers who have 'buddies' living just down the road from them who collect single items and sell them on the internet at a large discount.....anyway time will tell how this all pans out.

Postby 000 » January 26th, 2009, 11:05 pm

I have it on good authority that dealmens will cease operating after February until the economy improves, so it's all moot I guess......Man,the magic business must be in bad shape!

Jim Rosenbaum

Postby Jim Rosenbaum » January 29th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Hey Guys,

Im the owner of Dealmens Worldwide Fulfillment, LLC and will be closing operations at the end of February.

Dealmens is in NO WAY affiliated with Murphys Magic Supplies, Inc.

My Dealer Members currently include both Brick & Mortar and Internet Magic Shops where I provide same day shipping to their customers. The benefits of my fulfillment company have been less stocking of inventory (as you can offer the full line of magic supplies), same day shipping, and increased customer satisfaction. Plus, magic dealers could now use the free time to market their business.

The magic dealers that are currently with me are not big discounters and hybrid brick and mortar stores have definitely benefited from my business. I unfortunately have to close due to the required shipping volumes this type of business model must sustain.plus; its not the best time to begin start-up business. lol

I might re-launch in 6 months..?

I would agree with 000, it is now a moot point.

All the best,

Jim Rosenbaum

Return to “Light From the Lamp”