Silk hank in Light Bulb -Chamber of Secrets (May 2013)

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Jim Riser

Silk hank in Light Bulb -Chamber of Secrets (May 2013)

Postby Jim Riser » April 15th, 2013, 10:28 pm

For a spell back in 1996-7 I corresponded with Don Brandon. Don (Estes) grew up with and was a neighbor of Willard. In our letters we discussed the workings of a number of effects and several original items of Willard's which have never seen print. Don used to do illusion and spook shows.

One item that we discussed was the apparatus shown in this month's Genii. According to Don, the effect as he witnessed it was done as a Canary to Light Bulb rather than silk hank. Don described the base of the apparatus as having several pins to anchor it to the table during the spring powered switch. This would prevent it from jumping off of the table as the magic happened.

Without a better description of the box mentioned in Genii, it would be impossible to determine if it might have been made to be used with a canary.
Jim

hugmagic

Re: Silk hank in Light Bulb -Chamber of Secrets (May 2013)

Postby hugmagic » April 17th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Jim,
Bartl of Germany made these effects. Horace marshall used to sell them. There is a a great photo of Mac Brich doing it taken by Maurice Seymour. I think Ken Klosterman owns that apparatus.
The bulbs used were to old elongated Edison type bulbs. The last person I saw do this was Stephnie Griswold at Abbott's using a Walter Shepard made unit.
I can understand locking the base to the table top. The arm holding the bulb is "L" shaped. So there is a lot of torque when it flies up. I remember a few years ago someone was selling a whole case of the special bult that had a hole in the backside to insert the canary.
I can dig more information on it if you need more information.
Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » April 17th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Richard,
Back in 1970-1 time frame I was in the Army serving as a scientific glassblower at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in D.C. While there I made a dozen heavy walled bulb shells for a magician in Maryland. The mouth of these went over the socket which had an o ring slipped over it to grip the glass shell. The large mouth made using a bird much easier.
Jim

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 17th, 2013, 10:35 pm

John would love to see any photos and hear any info either you might have on this, or even similar items. He did bring up the canary option but I guess, with this particular piece, that option might not end well for the bird so we didn't go there. If you don't have his contact info, please email me and I will pass it on to him.

Thanks!
Dustin

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 17th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Richard will hopefully correct me if I am wrong, however I believe Walter had a vintage piece for the canary to light bulb. He told me about it many times. He may have had to do extensive work on it to get it performable, making it a defacto Sheppard piece. However, based on our talks I had always assumed this was a vintage item he had acquired some time previous.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » April 18th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Dustin,
Yes, the apparatus would be hard on a bird if used as it came from the dealer. The wider base (about 1 1/4" I.D.) on the bulb shells I made were for ease in getting the bird into the bulb, as well as, out. The bulb shells were not to be broken to remove the bird. In addition, I made about a 1/2" air hole in the tip of the bulb shells. They closely resembled the old Edison style with evacuation tip at the top.
Jim

Return to “Columns”